1930s Semi Refurb - Part 11 of ... (Summer House)

Associate
I designed it myself around the aluminium bi-folds I managed to get cheap.
6m x 3.5m size. Floor and roof 6x2, lintel twin 8x3 bolted together (back to back) reinforced by unequal angle above the 4.5m bi-folds.
Everything was sourced new and I mounted on grounds screws to help prevent and rot. Cladding is all composite (Hyperion) & EPDM roof with some of my solar panels mounted on here East-West system.

Soldato
OP
I designed it myself around the aluminium bi-folds I managed to get cheap.
6m x 3.5m size. Floor and roof 6x2, lintel twin 8x3 bolted together (back to back) reinforced by unequal angle above the 4.5m bi-folds.
Everything was sourced new and I mounted on grounds screws to help prevent and rot. Cladding is all composite (Hyperion) & EPDM roof with some of my solar panels mounted on here East-West system.
Yeah I'm definitely going to float it by using the rod method.

I'm just pricing up doors and at 1950 height it's pretty costly. Looking at 3.1k for ones with integrated blinds :I

I think I've decided on 6x3.5 as the material costs jump substantially for 6x4.

Soldato
OP
Right.........things starting to "move" albeit digitally.

1. Rods - I have sourced a supplier for rods, shoes, nuts - £423
2. Glass - 3m bifold with integrated blind - £3034
3. Fixings/bits - Tool Station - £473
4. Joist Hangers - Wickes - £96

I've requested a quote from the timber place............

Associate
Right.........things starting to "move" albeit digitally.

I've requested a quote from the timber place............
Have a look at Materials Market for the Timber prices, I've just renewed two flat roof areas into one and they were the cheapest online at the time.

Soldato
OP
Have a look at Materials Market for the Timber prices, I've just renewed two flat roof areas into one and they were the cheapest online at the time.
Thanks --- I have a "dodgy" local merchant who has beat them by £330 without trying but doesn't have finished 2x4 (the small 3.5" stuff) so they've come in handy for that bit! Extending the quotes from earlier:

5. Wood/cement/ballast/insulation - £2535
6. Other wood (MM stuff) - £250
7. Just trying to source 4x3 C24 4.8m! - TBC
8. Rubber roof - TBC

So £6811.................without a base :cry:

Associate
To be fair - the bulk of your cost is the bifold! Doesn’t seem too bad a price really! Just use OSB for the roof and super duper glue and EDPM stuff.

Have a look at the home improvement channel uk on t’interweb.

Soldato
OP
To be fair - the bulk of your cost is the bifold! Doesn’t seem too bad a price really! Just use OSB for the roof and super duper glue and EDPM stuff.

Have a look at the home improvement channel uk on t’interweb.
Yeah and a grand of that is integrated blinds.....so some cost savings to be had.

I have priced up the roof at ~£900 which is more than I expected but within tolerance.

I have zero external wood in that cost so need to add some featheredge.

Associate
Yeah and a grand of that is integrated blinds.....so some cost savings to be had.

I have priced up the roof at ~£900 which is more than I expected but within tolerance.

I have zero external wood in that cost so need to add some featheredge.
Would you consider a cladding?? I’ve not got any photos - but when I did a mates - we did cedral cladding. Looked very good.

On the upside - darn sight cheaper doing it DIY! Will look forward to the build!

Associate
How much more for materials was 7x4 compared to the 6 x 3.5 based on the build pack. I will buy one of Liam's build pack when I start but ideally only one!

FNG

FNG

Associate
Make sure you don't forget breathable wrap for after the OSB boards but before the external cladding bits.

Soldato
OP
Would you consider a cladding?? I’ve not got any photos - but when I did a mates - we did cedral cladding. Looked very good.

On the upside - darn sight cheaper doing it DIY! Will look forward to the build!
I am going to clad the sides and rear in cheap featheredge, but the front will probably be a later job in cedar (minimal, thank god).

How much more for materials was 7x4 compared to the 6 x 3.5 based on the build pack. I will buy one of Liam's build pack when I start but ideally only one!
I was never planning the 7m but the 4m depth was interesting, as it is just a fraction more space in a meaningful way. Unfortunately the roof span becomes slightly more complicated because it exceeds standard material sizes etc. I only straight faced tested the difference.........TBH I didn't want to be bothered calculating my own materials as I actually wanted a 6x4.

Add on the cost of driving to toolstation 500 times as well during the build.
lol luckily build pack includes a BoM specifically for TS so I am hoping not

Make sure you don't forget breathable wrap for after the OSB boards but before the external cladding bits.
Yeah have that in the TS order.

Soldato
OP
Wood is ordered (y). Costs so far:

1. Rods and nuts - £423
2. Wood - £365 + £2075 (MM + my local guy)

Things to order imminently:
* Roof - 739.64
* Door lintel - TBC
* Doors - £3k

* Plasterboard - 220
* Internal insulation - 270

So far I am coming in at ~£7k excluding any wiring/interior fittings (lights, plugs etc) and decorating gear.

Edit: Lintel was 305.68.

Last edited:
Associate

1. Rods and nuts - £423

* Roof - 739.64
* Door lintel - TBC
* Doors - £3k

* Plasterboard - 220

So far I am coming in at ~£7k excluding any wiring/interior fittings (lights, plugs etc) and decorating gear.

I've ordered a number of EPDM heavy duty type from Permaroof in chesterfield - always been competitive and usually have a discount code attached to the email quote.
Recent addition to my house was a new roof to two old extensions - 9.6m x 3.8m EPDM was £740 inclusive of all glue, fittings drip edge etc.

Soldato
OP
First truck arrived...

Cuy84YD.jpg

Soldato

1. Rods and nuts - £423

* Roof - 739.64
* Door lintel - TBC
* Doors - £3k

* Plasterboard - 220

How much of that is stolen goods

Soldato
OP
Day 1 ---
* Shifted the wood from the drive into the workshop (thank god I cleared it out).
* Cleared the space of my rubble piles. I definitely need to find some boys to lug all this crap out, I just don't have it in me anymore :cry:
CXQyAEA.jpg

* Dewired and removed the old shed:
nuVZMgg.jpg

* Cleared the space and did some initial measurements

1UwrIzX.jpg

* Removed a couple meters off of the shed pads and started to dig my holes:
BNIBXmc.jpg

* Turned my daughter into 6 giant pixels and got another bunch of holes dug:
cls3MlW.jpg

------------------

10 holes to go in the middle but I have dropped a very minor clanger if I follow the build pack. I was meant to bunch the middle 2 holes of the 4 that support left and right, so I could then equally space out the middle.

This what I may have to do (probably worse IRL than the photo because I really can't dig the reds as close as they appear to these greens)
kIT6Bcg.png

Build pack looks more like this:
q5ht70f.png

I understand most of the weight is coming straight down though, so the centers are really to stop the floor flopping. The benefit of the build pack method is you get plenty of room to drive in 2x 250mm screws; how I have ended up, means I will foul the rod. I'm probably just knackered and overthinking it tho :D

Back
Top Bottom