Arcade High Scores! New Game Every Two Weeks

Soldato
The extra monster comes out every 5,000 points so if you keep an eye on the score you can bag a potential letter 1-2 times per round, plus if you grab the centre item towards the last enemy, 1 more.

Before the last few days I'd been focussing on fruit runs but the bigger scores come from crushing enemies.

Soldato
OP
New game selected is....

e9FWnfCm.png

I'll update thread later today when I've more time.

Soldato
ROJ is rock hard, by far the hardest of the three Atari Star Wars games in my opinion. This really needs analogue controls.

Back in the day I think I mamanged to clear the third level fairly regularly, more recently I think I've managed only to get to the third level, mostly preferring to play Star Wars or Empire Strikes Back.

So regarding the starting bonus. Ok to choose start at Level 2/3 and still be within the rules?

Soldato
ROJ is rock hard, by far the hardest of the three Atari Star Wars games in my opinion. This really needs analogue controls.

Back in the day I think I mamanged to clear the third level fairly regularly, more recently I think I've managed only to get to the third level, mostly preferring to play Star Wars or Empire Strikes Back.

So regarding the starting bonus. Ok to choose start at Level 2/3 and still be within the rules?
Yeah you can start anywhere you want so long as the dip settings are standard. I was playing with an xbox control and its the best way ive found to play it since the original arcade with the yolk.

Soldato
The top score 337,180 is starting at level 3.
BYf1NWd.png

The second top score 129,300 is starting from level 1, and making it almost to the end of the 2nd level's death star run.

I do have a slight advantage having a (more or less) proper yoke but to be honest I would have used my DIY yoke and probably done ok.

Update: Had a crack on MAME, firstly to check settings and to see how well it controls with an Xbox360 controller left stick, and was able to beat my level 3 score.

High score now 341,680.

Last edited:
Soldato
The top score 337,180 is starting at level 3.
BYf1NWd.png

The second top score 129,300 is starting from level 1, and making it almost to the end of the 2nd level's death star run.

I do have a slight advantage having a (more or less) proper yoke but to be honest I would have used my DIY yoke and probably done ok.

Update: Had a crack on MAME, firstly to check settings and to see how well it controls with an Xbox360 controller left stick, and was able to beat my level 3 score.

High score now 341,680.
ive been tempted on the cab a few times, holding off for a sub £400 price if it ever drops.

Soldato
Was a black Friday deal but was still more than £400. Is ridiculous really spending £550(I think it was) but is probably my favourite arcade game of all time, and genuine cabinets run into the thousands and way beyond my means to repair.

I'm also looking at swapping out the yoke. A couple of good options out there and potentially have the ability to run other games like roadblasters.

The standard yoke besides having a perhaps overly powerful return to centre is sublime compared with any other control method.

It's no coincidence Star Wars is my first arcade game choice in this thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was a black Friday deal but was still more than £400. Is ridiculous really spending £550(I think it was) but is probably my favourite arcade game of all time, and genuine cabinets run into the thousands and way beyond my means to repair.

I'm also looking at swapping out the yoke. A couple of good options out there and potentially have the ability to run other games like roadblasters.

The standard yoke besides having a perhaps overly powerful return to centre is sublime compared with any other control method.

It's no coincidence Star Wars is my first arcade game choice in this thread.
I love Star wars and jedi - jedi was totally under appreciated thats why i wanted it in my list, i used to love it in the arcades. I dont think i ever played empire until emulation was a thing i never saw it in arcades. Im amazed actually we still dont have a mister core for star wars.

Soldato
I first saw Empire in Weymouth pier arcade whilst we were on a caravanning holiday, it was a sit down version and sat right next to another standard Star Wars sit-down machine. I'd never heard of it before so was very keen on playing it. For me it's ok but is let down, in my opinion by the asteroid scene which is unnecessarily punishing, oh and no shield regeneration.

Not sure if I saw one again after that, until as you say emulation was a thing.

I always used to play Jedi in my local arcade of Porthcawl fair. We used to go down regularly through the summer whilst I was a teenager.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys,

Have been away from a while, life keeping me busy and numerous bouts of illness! Hoping to try Return of the Jedi a bit later today, I've never played this one before.

Back
Top Bottom