• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ARM is coming.

Soldato

Wondering how long it will take? It is crazy the power usage difference. Like when will I have to go to ARM in my PC? It should not take long IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
Building better hardware has never been a problem. Building it backwards compatible has. If this new chip is backwards compatible with x86 then it's fantastic, if not then it's a lemon.

Associate
Hopefully Apples move to ARM will help with software availability on Windows and Linux given they have some experience with it. Linux should be easier.

The power low, single watt usage will be interesting as that’s more comparable with the M chips and the expected battery life benefits.

Either way, these new Snapdragon processors are at least up there in performance, and worth building a laptop around.

Soldato
AM/SP5 versions with big all core boosts and PCI-E 5 out the yazzoo?

But seriously it’s around a 5900X- RX 470 performance with 8 lanes of Gen 4 PCI-E, so price will be everything.

Associate
Linux isn't the issue, Linux + programs have run on arm for decades, It's windows or more importantly the ecosystem of programs built around it
Yea, that’s why I said Linux should be easier, speaking mainly to the fact that desktop doesn’t often get apps, which is a whole separate discussion.

If the app is on MacOS then Linux isn’t a huge effort, at least for the backend. And then as you said, Linux has had ARM support for ages when you consider it’s footprint in the server world.

Windows is always a pain and they’ll need to improve their x86 emulation. I wish they’d make a lite version of Windows without all the old rubbish - it must make developing the OS an absolute chore.

I’m hoping it works out as I don’t really enjoy macOS, but the hardware is great.

Associate
For this to make sense for me it will need to have the support of some kind of x86 translation for existing applications (mainly games). Otherwise sounds good!

Don
i thought windows was wanting to dump 32bit? would this not play into the arm or arm?
Windows has dumped 32 bit versions of the OS, but dumping 32 bit program support would be suicide given the decades of old 32bit software available.

On the other hand Intel want to remove a lot of legacy cruft from x86/x64, as even though processors are 64 bit and OSes are 64bit, the boot process actually has a number of steps that make use of old features like 16 bit real mode.

Soldato
OP
For this to make sense for me it will need to have the support of some kind of x86 translation for existing applications (mainly games). Otherwise sounds good!
Yea, that’s why I said Linux should be easier, speaking mainly to the fact that desktop doesn’t often get apps, which is a whole separate discussion.

If the app is on MacOS then Linux isn’t a huge effort, at least for the backend. And then as you said, Linux has had ARM support for ages when you consider it’s footprint in the server world.

Windows is always a pain and they’ll need to improve their x86 emulation. I wish they’d make a lite version of Windows without all the old rubbish - it must make developing the OS an absolute chore.

I’m hoping it works out as I don’t really enjoy macOS, but the hardware is great.
OMG yes, the mess they call dark mode, the maze of BS the registry is & prob. many more I missed. First of Dark mode, why the crap is it not as black as high contrast & universal? The tje registry that is a horrid mess, ok start with 2 trees Sytem & None System, then go from there. Like App. Locations & setting on both, OMG. Like I know it is more complex, but start with that. I have thought about Mac OS, but I want to play more than just a few games.

Back
Top Bottom