• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best thermal paste

Soldato

Man of Honour
Main difference performance wise between MX-4 and 6 is that 6 does 2-3C better under high loads on 14th gen or other high power consumption CPUs, at idle or on lower TDP CPUs you probably won't see a difference between them.

Associate
There's not a lot in it at the top end of the range of suppliers, so just get an amount that suits your needs, is available and is at a decent price

Soldato
Unless you're doing some sort of extreme mod or OC there's not a lot between them, just use whatever your HSF comes with.

It's worth having MX-4 on hand, it's more than ample for almost any purpose and if you need to reseat your kit or repaste something it does the job while being inexpensive.

Thermalright actually supplies a tube of TF4 with their HSF's which is quality stuff too.

Man of Honour
While AS5 is still one of my favourites there are definitely benefits to using MX-6 for the higher end Intel 13th and 14th gen and some AMD CPUs where the temperatures under load can be a crucial couple of degrees different - especially if using an air cooler can make a critical difference between thermal throttling or not and/or how long boost holds up for. A lot of reviewers (even ones who should know better) and end users persist in applying/testing AS5 incorrectly which has dragged it down compared to what it is capable of - although that in itself can be a problem in that it does require the end user to utilise it correctly to get best results whereas something like MX-4 is far more tolerant.

I always have to facepalm when a reviewer does a round-up of thermal pastes and states "I'm going to use the same technique with them all for consistency"... just no - read the application notes and use each paste as it performs best FFS.

Last edited:
Soldato
While AS5 is still one of my favourites there are definitely benefits to using MX-6 for the higher end Intel 13th and 14th gen and some AMD CPUs where the temperatures under load can be a crucial couple of degrees different - especially if using an air cooler can make a critical difference between thermal throttling or not and/or how long boost holds up for. A lot of reviewers (even ones who should know better) and end users persist in applying/testing AS5 incorrectly which has dragged it down compared to what it is capable of - although that in itself can be a problem in that it does require the end user to utilise it correctly to get best results whereas something like MX-4 is far more tolerant.

I always have to facepalm when a reviewer does a round-up of thermal pastes and states "I'm going to use the same technique with them all for consistency"... just no - read the application notes and use each paste as it performs best FFS.

Apply as little possibly spread as thinly as possible unless dealing with very concave/vex then consider lapping to 800/1000 grit. Temps will be great.

I’ve just built a 64 core overclocked OEM EPYC system and the core temps are amazballz.

Back
Top Bottom