BRSK

Associate
I’ve given my notice to Virgin today and was ready to sign up to BRSK that’s just gone live in my area.

Been reading up and they use CGNAT. I have a fair few smart home devices that I control from outside the home as well as a Ring Doorbell and DVR connected online which I view on mobile when away.

Don’t play any (multiplayer) games online but that could change.

Would I have any connectivity issues given that it’s CGNAT and would it be less secure?

Would the BetterIP Static IP add-on help?

I’m fairly techy but not so much when it comes to networking/port forwarding etc and wouldn’t really want to spend hours setting up/troubleshooting.
CGNAT is only an issue if you genuinely need inbound connections ( where the connection needs to be initiated from the outside. ) It may seem as though smart home devices fall into that category, but unless you know different ( and you would, because you'd have to set something up such as port forwarding on a router or whatever ) then in 99.9% of cases that's not true. There's a cloud service that acts a a broker - your smart home devices use an outgoing connection to hold open a link to this broker service, as does your phone app or whatever you use to control them.... so in most circumstances and for most home users, CGNAT is absolutely fine.

Back
Top Bottom