Cooking with Jonny69: baking bread.

Associate
Oh, very nice. I've struggled to get rolls the same size and I can't seem to get the temperature/bake time correct.
12 mins small oven no fan with top/bottom element 220c reduce to 190c and cover with silver foil for another 5 mins then check temp 210°F
I always weigh flatten and fold into the center then roll into a ball. But crucially a clean surface free from flour when rolling works for me. cover per your instructions and bake.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Had a SD-YR2540 arrive yesterday. It's quite an upgrade on the Russell Hobbs I had previously. That did an alright job but the heating element has started to fail and was producing Interesting bread. :D

Already made a milk bread, banana cake and have a lemon and almond spelt mix in ready to finish in the morning. Going to need a bigger bread bin to store it all.

Soldato
Already made a milk bread, banana cake and have a lemon and almond spelt mix in ready to finish in the morning. Going to need a bigger bread bin to store it all.

getting bread flour has become the bottle neck ? I used to buy at Aldi , but they have stopped selling it (recession rationalizing/Ukraine ?) so had been consider Shipton Mills ~£1/kg
but found some Lidl stores are still selling it whilst on flour tourism in norfolk last weekend

- yes Panasonics are good

Caporegime
and have a lemon and almond spelt mix in ready to finish in the morning.

Out it comes.

RQ9mXC.jpeg

Soldato
Any sourdough experts on here? I make a loaf of sourdough a week and it turns out lovely, the only thing I would like is to make sure the crust stays crispy. It comes out of the oven lovely and crispy but after it cools down the crust goes a bit soft, probably due to any steam being released whilst its cooling softening the crust. Ive tried cooling it in the oven with the oven turned off and the door open hoping any residual heat dries it out or on the kitchen worktop on a cooling rack but still the same semi softened crust. Any tips?

Last edited:
Soldato
do you use a baking stone - that would get the heat in fast/moisture out, when cooking.

I always use sourdough starter/mother/poolish in bread machine ...
first one in the current cold spell tomorrow - poolish is not very active this pm in the fairly cold kitchen,
using the oven would heat the kitchen, but 2..3. ?.. Kwh of unecessary electricity feels excessive, the artisanal loaves on the market would start to look competitive

Commissario
While in town at the weekend, we walked past a baker and saw French sticks and crusty rolls so bought some to bring home for our lunch. I was amazed at how bland they were compared to the bread we bake. This is a highly rated local independent baker and one we used to buy our bread from every week.

Associate
@Feek Not bad, not bad... approved :D

While in town at the weekend, we walked past a baker and saw French sticks and crusty rolls so bought some to bring home for our lunch. I was amazed at how bland they were compared to the bread we bake. This is a highly rated local independent baker and one we used to buy our bread from every week.
You can't compare that to a fench stick tbh, but I know what you mean. Take a trip to Luxemberg if you want some nice flour based products. I've tried and tried to get a nice Baguet from my Oven, you need a good seal heat and steam period!

Soldato
Have been making sourdough bread the last few weekends, quite a lengthy process but it is delicious, by far the best bread I've made. Got a book called Tartine from the wife for Xmas and have pretty much got the recipe down now, just need to refine it as it does take a bloody long time to make!

XoHYi9h.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
rnbkKrd.jpg
LtNU3yl.jpg

More bread! Let the sourdough rise over night this time which seems to have worked fine, but I definitely need to work out my cooking times as the bloody stuff just won't cook inside!

It's out now with a much darker crust than the last picture and the inside is still slightly questionable but I'm going to run out of gas at this rate! I think this will be a toast only job.

Edit - Any advice is welcome! Probably just need to drop the finishing temperature a bit more dramatically and read a book for a couple of hours or something...

Last edited:
Soldato
More bread! Let the sourdough rise over night this time which seems to have worked fine, but I definitely need to work out my cooking times as the bloody stuff just won't cook inside!

It's out now with a much darker crust than the last picture and the inside is still slightly questionable but I'm going to run out of gas at this rate! I think this will be a toast only job.

Edit - Any advice is welcome! Probably just need to drop the finishing temperature a bit more dramatically and read a book for a couple of hours or something...

I bake mine in a Dutch oven with the lid on for 25mins @ 230C then take the lid off and bake at 220C for 20mins and it comes out lovely. I like a dark crust but if you prefer less colour take it out after 15mins or so. Let it cool first before you cut it.

Soldato
how/where are dutch ovens being pre-heated & used - in the oven/hob ?

-

regular sourdough in panasonic : poolish/levain prepare with 6tbs mother+80/120 left ambient kitchen overnight, then 5hour wholewheat programme, 50:50 wholewheat/white
pinch of salt, no oils.

flour​
water​
'levain​
30​
70​
'6 tbs 100g 75flour/175water​
'levain​
80​
120​
'dry​
420​