Cooking with Jonny69: baking bread.

Associate
I've been making soughdough bread for many years now and I'm still learning different ways to create the perfect loaf. There is something really satisfying about creating your own soughdough starter and feeding it regularly for baking day.
Give it a year and you'll be on GBBO

Associate
Tip I just learned for Pan bread machine - some oil on the pan bearing - never done this over 2 machines/20years
machine had been squeaking I feared belt was slipping - after changing 'motor' capacitor a while back I thought the revived motor might kill the belt

I know paddle could get stiff if you didn't soak it thoroughly to get dough/cooked bread out after use - but had never oiled.

maybe I'll retry enriched doughs in Pan with butter/egg (do bakers ever do that for rolls) but till now 25% ish wholemeal loaves are just poolish+salt+dried-fruit+cinammom
Just to make you aware, think I already mentioned this but the Joint Set beariing (A Bush) wears out. If I recall it ovalled and began to spin. You will know when you look at the belt as it pulls it to one side on the pully. Uneven squeeky and slower mixing etc....

Soldato
did some analysis on problem with lateral play on the Panasonic pan shaft, maybe 0.2mm, so it is squeeking, haven't dismantled it yet , because it is still usable

not sure if I need to replace full unit https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es147030 (top left)

or whether seal on its own could be responsible, bottom right,
I tend to think the brass bearing sleeve must have worn, but that seems unlikely.
aliexpress has kits top right, but that would be 50% of the complete unit, and not a guaranteed fit, can buy the bearng sleeve, alone, too

53288406012_1bdcc2f547_o_d.jpg

Associate
Baking bread has become my new obsession of late. I cook almost everyday and know my way around a kitchen pretty well, but the saying 'failure is the key to success' was tailor made for bread baking.

Assessing proofs, the feel of good gluten structure, proper bulk fermentation etc. You can watch all the youtube videos you want before your first bake, but they wont prepare you for practically assessing each of the variables. It really is a process of failing, understanding what you may have done wrong, then trying again.

Soldato
I'm debating trying to start a sourdough starter again. I gave it a go ages ago but gave up as didn't bake enough, however now with a pizza oven we eat pizza quite often and so it'd be good to start again.

Is there any real benefit to buying an old starter batch vs just making your own?

Associate
did some analysis on problem with lateral play on the Panasonic pan shaft, maybe 0.2mm, so it is squeeking, haven't dismantled it yet , because it is still usable

not sure if I need to replace full unit https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es147030 (top left)

or whether seal on its own could be responsible, bottom right,
I tend to think the brass bearing sleeve must have worn, but that seems unlikely.
aliexpress has kits top right, but that would be 50% of the complete unit, and not a guaranteed fit, can buy the bearng sleeve, alone, too
The joint set bush wore out on mine https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1665789/breadmaker-joint-set
In-fact I have pretty much a re-built machine apart from the casing which got a little toasted and brittle, I even did a cap mod on it. I should part it out really because sadly I don't use either bread machine any more. Both items would be a great starter kit for a budding new baker that likes to fix when broken.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm debating trying to start a sourdough starter again. I gave it a go ages ago but gave up as didn't bake enough, however now with a pizza oven we eat pizza quite often and so it'd be good to start again.

Is there any real benefit to buying an old starter batch vs just making your own?
I did start a couple when I was baking bread a lot but when you have to feed it and not use, it gets to be an expensive game unless you buy flour in bulk.
I mainly use a Poolish now If I want to get a sour tasting bread or pizza, like a 48 ferment for example, saves on the waste.

Soldato
it would be interesting to buy a starter to see if it perform better than in-house - mines, at least, a teenager and bi-lingual, and is sometimes un-co-operative.

At this time of year and cooler ambients definitely need to let the poolish develop for a longer time - 18-20 hours versus 12.

I exclusively use a pan bread-machine for the final rised/needing/cooking, pouring poolish into bread pan, at start;
turning on the oven exclusively for bread is a bit decadent, will it blend air fry ?

Back
Top Bottom