Everspace 2

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Had a go of the demo. Yeah, reviews make it sound better than it is. It ain’t no Freelancer.

The devs even stripped out DLSS and HDR. I will wait until it is half price and beta testing being complete :D

Man of Honour
Had a go of the demo. Yeah, reviews make it sound better than it is. It ain’t no Freelancer.

The devs even stripped out DLSS and HDR. I will wait until it is half price and beta testing being complete :D
Just play it on gamepass, that way you can play the entire game without having to wait for it to go to half price. Having said that, theres not much going on in the game in terms of beta-testing. I've had zero performance issues (hitting 90-100fps with everything set on epic in 1440) and no bugs. Not much to beta test really :D

Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just play it on gamepass, that way you can play the entire game without having to wait for it to go to half price. Having said that, theres not much going on in the game in terms of beta-testing. I've had zero performance issues (hitting 90-100fps with everything set on epic in 1440) and no bugs. Not much to beta test really :D

My game pass recently run out and based on what I played I do not feel like I need to rush. That said it is also good enough that I would like to own and support it. Will see how it goes, if I run out of games I want to play on steam then I may just get another cheap game pass key :)

Associate
I played this for 90 odd hours pre release over the years.
I think I'm up to another 20 hours again on the full release.

It's great. Trading is a non starter and just not worth it.
Combat is fun.
The guns are different enough to warrant playing around with (who knew the flak cannon is the best mining tool)
The story and side quests are fine.
The graphics are all on epic and run smoothly.
The puzzles are well implemented in the most part. There were 1 or 2 where it took me ages to find the last 'part' but it's a nice change of pace from combat.

Last edited:
Soldato
I subbed back to Gamepass to play it - agree with GBRusty on all points, it's a fun little shooter.

Only frustration I had was that the AI seems just just am to swarm you, so most fights feel like a <500m melee. I found that the ship with the Drones (Vindicator, I think?) seems to even that out.

- FYI on the mining; lasers give a 25% return boost, depends if you feel it's worthwhile swapping back just for that
- Yes, trading is pointless.
- Needs bigger ships!

Associate
Weird. So many saying that. Shame. I will wait until it drops in price as I want to play it on steam. I would have grabbed it if it was £30 maybe. Will give the demo a go for now.
Like many, I'd love a modern day Freelancer ... but this isn't it. Yes, it's in space, and you can sell cargo but the main focus is on loot/upgrading your ship. This is not an open world game which gives you the freedom to be a long haul trader, pirate or mercenary.

The story is serviceable, nothing to write home about. The people who will like this game the most are those who enjoy arcade-y space combat. Think more like Wing Commander series.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Like many, I'd love a modern day Freelancer ... but this isn't it. Yes, it's in space, and you can sell cargo but the main focus is on loot/upgrading your ship. This is not an open world game which gives you the freedom to be a long haul trader, pirate or mercenary.

The story is serviceable, nothing to write home about. The people who will like this game the most are those who enjoy arcade-y space combat. Think more like Wing Commander series.

Yeah. Shame. But better than nothing. I will still enjoy it for what it is. But it is annoying that after around two decades no one can make something like Freelancer yet :(

I think people that say this like Freelancer are younger folk who have just watched a few videos on YouTube :cry:

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Freelancer was great, nothings touched it since elite is just too much of a sim and x series don't have that atmosphere.

Freespace 2 was amazing, I don't think nothing will touch that for a long time.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This feels more Rebel Galaxy to me than Freelancer. It's fun but after losing hours playing I still feel a bit underwhelmed at the end of a session. There's been a lot of exploring what feels very samey random areas that have almost nothing.

Losing interest the more I read comments like this. Will defo still play, but all the excitement has gone after reading comments and playing the demo. Hopefully the devs can make a Freelancer type game for Everspace 3.

Don
For those wanting a Freelancer remake, did you never play Everspace 1?

Everspace 2 was only ever going to build on the original. I loved the original and Everspace 2 has expanded on that wonderfully.

I haven't played it since release, but I sunk lots of hours into the alpha.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
I was enjoying the game but came across a couple of difficulty spikes that has taken a lot of the fun out the game, it remind me of those spikes in JRPG's when you need to grind it out to proceed. The combat became really unfun, it wasn't feeling like I was in a dog fight but was just getting swarmed by 20 enemies and nuked by enemies that always had their noises (and guns) pointed at you. I dont usually do this but I turn the difficulty down and now its far too easy (cant win here)

I was getting Freelance vibes here but these choices in game play is putting me off. :(

Soldato
As an arcadey space shooter it's pretty good, the puzzle solving gets pretty samey and annoying at times (and frustrating when you get lobbed a couple of crap green/blue items at the end of tedious one). The enemy AI gets very predictable and annoyingly scripted to a fault after a while, i can literally feel when a fresh batch of enemies will magically appear out of nowhere to pewpew and distract me from finding that one or three last thing(s). Having a rail gun and sticking a marksman catalyst on it(i started doing that pretty early) feels essential (i can leave it in the inventory and slot in as needed) just so i can start picking off the annoying groups 4.5km out.

Flak is great though (definitely one of my preferred weapons), one shot mining deposits, (also) clears mines great and a really nice AOE hitter with good range.

It's definitely not Freelancer (it was good for it's time), and there is a remake out there if you really want to play it again, but i don't think the imagined experience of an old game really holds up (everything was magic and amazing all those years ago).

On steam sale, 20 squids or less, solid buy, i'd not suggest it unless it's your genre of game otherwise. I've put more hours into indie games with a fraction of the budget at a fraction of the price. It's a good shooty shooty space game, but... just but... just get it on sale and enjoy for what it is.

Last edited:
Don
As an arcadey space shooter it's pretty good, the puzzle solving gets pretty samey and annoying at times (and frustrating when you get lobbed a couple of crap green/blue items at the end of tedious one). The enemy AI gets very predictable and annoyingly scripted to a fault after a while, i can literally feel when a fresh batch of enemies will magically appear out of nowhere to pewpew and distract me from finding that one or three last thing(s). Having a rail gun and sticking a marksman catalyst on it(i started doing that pretty early) feels essential (i can leave it in the inventory and slot in as needed) just so i can start picking off the annoying groups 4.5km out.

Flak is great though (definitely one of my preferred weapons), one shot mining deposits, (also) clears mines great and a really nice AOE hitter with good range.

It's definitely not Freelancer (it was good for it's time), and there is a remake out there if you really want to play it again, but i don't think the imagined experience of an old game really holds up (everything was magic and amazing all those years ago).

On steam sale, 20 squids or less, solid buy, i'd not suggest it unless it's your genre of game otherwise. I've put more hours into indie games with a fraction of the budget at a fraction of the price. It's a good shooty shooty space game, but... just but... just get it on sale and enjoy for what it is.
It was on Gamepass too :)

Back
Top Bottom