Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo!

Commissario
OP
Mine still has the December 2026 date and the maximum download speed has changed to 1800 Mpbs. The maximum upload has now dropped from 220 Mbps to 120 Mbps. I don't want more than 1 Gbps download but it would be nice to have the 220 Mbps upload that it originally said.

Soldato
Mine still has the December 2026 date and the maximum download speed has changed to 1800 Mpbs. The maximum upload has now dropped from 220 Mbps to 120 Mbps. I don't want more than 1 Gbps download but it would be nice to have the 220 Mbps upload that it originally said.

I was visiting my parents recently and checked their FTTP status which is identical to the info you have. I wonder if it’s a generic message as I know that fibre is being laid along the road only a few miles away and should be with them soon. I certainly hope it’s sooner than 2026

Commissario
OP
I was visiting my parents recently and checked their FTTP status which is identical to the info you have. I wonder if it’s a generic message as I know that fibre is being laid along the road only a few miles away and should be with them soon. I certainly hope it’s sooner than 2026
Well mine will definitely be before then - See the posts above.

Soldato

Dang. Looks like mine might have been removed from schedule.

Soldato
This can happen, I checked a year ago and BT said there were no plans at all for FTTP where I live, a week later there were Befibre vans all over town inmstalling it.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

Prepared to pay over £300? :p

Soldato
That is interesting that the 1800Mb service is only 120Mb upload. It's showing as available in my area, but indeed with only 120Mb up which is strange as I thought it was 220Mb. Clearly not anymore.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
We moved in August to an area without FTTP and had the same build by date. I almost vetoed the house for it's paltry 30 meg but came to my senses eventually.

6 months later we've just had it installed (which included cutting a channel up my drive). If you do some googling you can find PDF documents online relating to your exchange for a bit more data on installation but living in the sticks meant I could just ask the Openreach guys working down the road as it's not a big town. It's taken them about 12 months to get it rolled out here and it was the same for the next town which we moved from.

Now I need to get ethernet run to my garage (office). My power line adapters are only getting just over 100 Mbps. Worried what that's going to cost me. Not a long run but there's a driveway in between.

We're also apparently capable of getting 1800/120 but that wasn't on offer from Talk Talk (who we're tied in with), just 1000/70

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Are you sure about that, I wasn't ware of a 1000/70 profile.
Oops. I meant 1000/120. Confused myself because I only opted for ~500/70 due to cost vs what I can utilise right now, but the most we can order is 1000 despite Openreach quoting 1800.

Seems they have launched 1.2 and 1.8 levels for wholesale so it will only be a matter of time for providers to catch up. They need to install a 2.5Gbps capable ONT which I believe we've already had installed by then looks of it. Awesome. I just need to find someone to run a cable to my garage/office for a reasonable cost now.

Man of Honour
Oops. I meant 1000/120. Confused myself because I only opted for ~500/70 due to cost vs what I can utilise right now, but the most we can order is 1000 despite Openreach quoting 1800.

Seems they have launched 1.2 and 1.8 levels for wholesale so it will only be a matter of time for providers to catch up. They need to install a 2.5Gbps capable ONT which I believe we've already had installed by then looks of it. Awesome. I just need to find someone to run a cable to my garage/office for a reasonable cost now.
Ah.

You can get 1.6 Gbps from EE, however upload is only 115 Mbps. I think the higher tiers are coming to other ISPs soon.

Caporegime
Higher tiers have been available for all ISPs to trial for probably a year now, there's nothing stopping the wider deployment other than perhaps providers like TalkTalk looking at the tiers their customers are subscribing to and deciding there's no demand there. These sorts of over-1gbps service seem more like flagship offerings that exist to serve a marketing need to say how you're the fastest, rather than something you expect to sell to more than 5% of your customers.

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
Areas in our town have FTTP from Openreach within the last few months now while my street said end of Mar 24 its now end of Jun 24. I got a feeling that they will forget our area and keep entending it by 3 months. :cry:

I know some people have worse speeds than me but 36mbps sucks.

Back
Top Bottom