Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo!

Caporegime
What you're likely to see as a side-effect of other people getting FTTP - assuming they were on FTTC before - is that the crosstalk starts to go away as FTTC lines get turned off and your sync rate might go up as a result. When my neighbours moved out their house and it was empty for a couple of months my FTTC speed went from 70Mbps to 80Mbps just because their broadband service had been cancelled and the lines were right next to each other for the 500m or so run back to the cabinet.

Caporegime
Now I need to get ethernet run to my garage (office). My power line adapters are only getting just over 100 Mbps. Worried what that's going to cost me. Not a long run but there's a driveway in between.
If you have line of site have you thought about a wireless or microwave link?

I’m the same as you Feek, no sign for years and years with only Virgin as an option which I’ve been avoiding. It’s not so bad that I have the full 80Mbps on FTTC but I’ve also had that for a decade. I even found the openreach CEO’s address and sent an email, only to get a wishy washy ‘no plans’ email. Only a few months later I got an email confirming between now and December 2026. Would be nice if it happened before that. YouFibre are building in my down and offer symmetrical speeds, but I would get a Sky Discount if I use Openreach. Hmm.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You've had access to 1Gbit VM for the past five years but avoided it because you don't like the company, and then when YouFibre start rolling out - probably the best vertically integrated network builder and ISP in the UK, as well as being amongst the cheapest - you have reservations because it's not Sky so you won't get a discount. You're letting the quest for perfection cloud your judgement here.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You've had access to 1Gbit VM for the past five years but avoided it because you don't like the company, and then when YouFibre start rolling out - probably the best vertically integrated network builder and ISP in the UK, as well as being amongst the cheapest - you have reservations because it's not Sky so you won't get a discount. You're letting the quest for perfection cloud your judgement here.
If Youfibre or Openreach get here first I'll go with them. I've heard too many horror stories about Virgin and latency, lag, issues and instability that I've avoided them due to that.

Man of Honour
If Youfibre or Openreach get here first I'll go with them. I've heard too many horror stories about Virgin and latency, lag, issues and instability that I've avoided them due to that.
It's area dependant, I've had mine for nearly a year now and it's been perfectly fine.

Caporegime
It's area dependant, I've had mine for nearly a year now and it's been perfectly fine.
This is true. I get 80Mbps for £18pm. I'd need to pay nearly three times that for their 1Gig offering. It also helps I work for Sky and know more about Openreach FTTC than I do about Virgin's DOCSIS Network. It makes me more comfortable knowing about it!

Associate
For a long time, whenever I've checked the BT FTTP page, it's always told me we'll never get FTTP here and there are no plans to provide it.

Today I looked and saw this.

*click to unblur*

9MVHmD8.jpeg

I don't know what to say, I really don't.
Same for me, and i work for them and half my town already has had it built for the last year or 2. My town is split into 2 exchange areas and of course they built the other exchange area I don’t live in first!

Man of Honour
My local cabinet has been upgraded to FTTP and openreach has been laying the cable along the street in the last couple of weeks. Hopefully the service will be activated within the next few months! *Fingers crossed*
At least my 5g internet still has about 10 months left on the contract so there's some breathing room if openreach are being a bit slow

Associate
My local cabinet has been upgraded to FTTP and openreach has been laying the cable along the street in the last couple of weeks. Hopefully the service will be activated within the next few months! *Fingers crossed*
At least my 5g internet still has about 10 months left on the contract so there's some breathing room if openreach are being a bit slow
If the cabling is being done now then shouldn’t be long I’d expect. Maybe a few more weeks or a couple months max. Put your address into the openreach website fibre checker then put in your email address and they’ll let you know when it’s live to order

Caporegime
Openreach will probably just do it all for you, including digging in a duct if they have to. How does your phone line get in?

Last edited:
Associate
How much work will they do to get it to your property?
I have quite a long drive, so Im guessing I have to foot some of the bill?
If they say it’s available to order for you then it’s up to openreach to foot the bill to get it to you. I’m guessing your copper line is buried armour so they’ll probably just bury some gabocom micro duct or even normal duct 56 up to your house

Last edited:
Associate
If they say it’s available to order for you then it’s up to openreach to foot the bill to get it to you. I’m guessing your copper line is buried armour so they’ll probably just bury some gabocom micro duct or even normal duct 56 up to your house
Will find out sometime between now and Dec 2026 :D

Soldato
Although they're very close, this is a map from https://bidb.uk/ showing where Openreach FTTP near me has reached. If I search the address of the one ringed in red, FTTP is available, Plusnet offering 900/115 for £41.99/month. Is that about the right price?
I've just checked this and BT where on there the last time I checked.

Now its not listed at all.

Back
Top Bottom