Greenlizard0 PL & FA Cup SF Football Thread ** spoilers ** [20th - 25th April 2024]

Don
No he’s never had City winning it when asked. He’s said from the start of the season that Arsenal would do it on multiple occasions.

Just because he said something about Spurs that he then went on to clarify on an overlap episode, doesn’t mean he hasn’t backed Arsenal throughout.

It isn’t nonsense at all, you’re just in a one after tonight’s result.
Sorry my edit was too slow for you. Watch from 5mins 30 of the video below. Neville saying he thinks City will win it and before Liverpool & Arsenal lost he still thought City would win it. Using Neville as your example was a bit silly.

Caporegime
Sorry my edit was too slow for you. Watch from 5mins 30 of the video below. Neville saying he thinks City will win it and before Liverpool & Arsenal lost he still thought City would win it. Using Neville as your example was a bit silly.

No that was 3 days ago after their defeat which I didn’t see nor mention.

The rest of the season he was backing Arsenal to win it.

Don
No that was 3 days ago after their defeat which I didn’t see nor mention.

The rest of the season he was backing Arsenal to win it.
He literally said before the defeat he thought City would win it too :D Like I said, Nevilles utter **** and changes his mind by the day.

Caporegime
He literally said before the defeat he thought City would win it too :D Like I said, Nevilles utter **** and changes his mind by the day.

He hasn’t, he’s changed his mind once and that was in the last few weeks because of what’s happened which is fair enough.

The rest of the season he backed Arsenal to win it on numerous occasions when asked.

Far worse pundits than Neville for changing their mind throughout the season on who was going to win it.

Last edited:
Don
He hasn’t, he’s changed his mind once and that was in the last few weeks because of what’s happened which is fair enough.

The rest of the season he backed Arsenal to win it on numerous occasions when asked.

Far worse pundits than Neville for changing their mind throughout the season on who was going to win it.
Ok, if you think him saying he thinks City will win the title and thought they would before Arsenal lost too and months ago saying Spurs could beat them to 2nd (which tells you he thought somebody else would finish 1st) is Neville backing Arsenal for the title all season then that's up to you.

I think Neville talks **** and it's not just about this. Whether it's his constant attacks on the Glazers (which are justifiable) while he's in bed with Peter Lim or comments about greed and the way money's distributed in football, ownerships etc and then whispering that supporters shouldn't have a golden share or then reeling off the £250m worth of signings Utd must make, the guy's a walking, talking contradiction.

Caporegime
It’s easy enough to clear up. He changed his mind in the last few weeks when the same old pattern with City started to emerge. Pretty much everyone else changed their mind on who was going to win it as well because of the results.

His thing on Spurs was a “they could do this if” statement that he later clarified.

The whole thing started from a post by The_One who said pundits would still have them 3rd favourites. Neville certainly hasn’t been one of those and for the majority of the season, he had Arsenal winning it.

On the rest of the points about his contradictions, I agree. I don’t like him at all.

Last edited:
Don
His thing on Spurs was a “they could do this if” statement that he later clarified.
I didn't see/hear his clarification re the Spurs comment but the key word in what he said was 2nd which suggested City were finishing 1st but anyway, it's boring now.

As a general rule, whatever Neville says he has already or will say something the complete opposite soon after and I found using him as example, knowing how often he changes his views, funny.

Don
It wasn’t really that funny as for the majority of the season he backed Arsenal.

I can edit my reply to The_One to the above if it really makes such a difference and will stop it being funny to you.
Ok, you're clearly missing the point. Neville's said everything so using what he's said to make a point doesn't really mean much.

But anyway, it's boring and I've got to be up early so I'm off to bed.

Caporegime
You could say the same or similar about pretty much all pundits when it comes to contradicting themselves or changing their minds.

However, of all the major pundits this season, Neville has been one of, if not the most consistent and forgiving when it comes to Arsenal, and one of the only ones who thought they could do it for the most part.

Granted, he’s bottled it at the final hurdle when little citeh started doing their usual thing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
City will win the double. Why is everyone even trying to debate it? Arsenal need to win all their games. Two of them are away to Spurs and United. That is a massive ask.

Only place Man City are likely to drop points is at Spurs and that is a big ask as by then Spurs will most likely be resigned to 5th and be on the beach already. City haven't lost a game in open play in their last 30 matches.

Arsenal is the lesser of 3 evils so I want them to win too but it is just history repeating itself when Klopp went up against the juggernaut of City.

Soldato
Meh, our issue all season has been that we've failed to control games. We have great athletes but lack players with composure, Macca, VVD, Jota and to an extent Jones (although he's been poor lately) aside.

The reason that Pep is so outrageously successful, and that Arteta is building a very good side, is that their game plan principally revolves around controlling matches. Against a worse team, they might blow them away, but if they're not on song they'll finish up having given up few chances, with all the possession, and more likely than not have scraped a goal or two.

Klopp is a fantastic manager and man, but his style requires his game plan to work to perfection, as if it doesn't it leaves holes. He's never been a manager to achieve control, and when all of his players aren't at it it comes back to bite him. At his team's peak, with Fab, Hendo, Gini, Salah, Bobby and Mane, we were borderline unplayable, but they were the perfect players for his system. I think losing Gini caused us huge problems and we've never looked as solid since.

We'll finish the season in third, and given the changes over last summer, and the number of matches we squeaked through having given away stupid goals, that's probably about right. It's a shame, I'd love Klopp to have won it again in his last year, but I can't say that I feel hard done by.

Soldato
City are still red hot favourites, ~68% chance and that’s even before they play their 2 games in hand!! Points better on the board etc, they could draw tonight or get beat and while it’ll still effect it they’ll likely still be favourites.

When (if) they win those two they’ll go top, so it’s still massively in their hands. You’d have to be insane to predict anyone other than a City winning the league from this point going forward.

Caporegime
VvD talking about if team mates wanted it enough makes me think there’s some kind of rift emerging internally at the club tbh, could go some way to explain wtf has happened these last few weeks

Back
Top Bottom