Home Assistant beginners

Soldato
Depends a bit on how you've set up the dashboard - try looking at the grid layout card and putting your CCTV cards in there, you can make full width or however many columns widths you want.

If you want to force it, you could use CSS, eg

type: picture-entity
entity: camera.your_camera_entity
style: |
ha-card {
--ha-card-box-shadow: none;
height: 300px; // Adjust height as needed
width: 400px; // Adjust width as needed
}

Just paste this in your card YAML editor
I only added the custom card as quoted. Dashboard.is set up as the new style (drag and drop)

Soldato
Ok, HAOS is installed on Proxmox now. So far i'm pretty limited on devices.

My main goal at this house is to control the gate via my phone/a button by the front door without remembering where the keyfob is. I'm fairly sure it'll be an RF transmitter but unsure what i actually need. Would it just be something like this?

SBo

SBo

Associate
Ok, HAOS is installed on Proxmox now. So far i'm pretty limited on devices.

My main goal at this house is to control the gate via my phone/a button by the front door without remembering where the keyfob is. I'm fairly sure it'll be an RF transmitter but unsure what i actually need. Would it just be something like this?
I control my gate through HomeAssistant but I use a Shelly 2PM which is connected to the 24V power inside the gate control/motor unit, and the two relay outputs control open and close respectively.
Shellys connect to your wifi, integrate seamlessly into HA, they also have their own app which you can use via the cloud (my HA is intranet side only). I have found them bulletproof.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers, i was looking at those for my house but as we're only in a rental and the gate is ~70m from the house, we don't have wifi coverage down that end and so i figure an RF blaster is the way forward.

At some point i'll be ordering a crapload of stuff from Shelly though!

SBo

SBo

Associate
Cheers, i was looking at those for my house but as we're only in a rental and the gate is ~70m from the house, we don't have wifi coverage down that end and so i figure an RF blaster is the way forward.

At some point i'll be ordering a crapload of stuff from Shelly though!
I don't know what gate you have but I would expect that your issue is going to be that the gate keyfobs have a rolling code as a security feature and you won't be able to immitate that. So an option would be to use a spare gate remote, solder two wires across the button contacts on the remote, hook those into a wifi relay, and then you have a HA connected gate remote. It will toggle rather than instruct open OR close which is less useful but nonetheless it will do what you want here.

Ps Im also assuming that the gate is fully up to stadnard on safety features ie. IR beams and "safety edges" as if not, HA control could potentially be quite dangerous compared to before when the gate was only being commanded within line-of-sight.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
@katie279 just been watching your recent video on the air sensor.

Whilst small. It’s not the prettiest. So does mounting location matter? Could you stick it under say a chest of drawers or would that affect readings?
Hey Martyn! Well I've been playing with a few different designs for this reason - it's very small and functional, but could benefit from a bit of styling as a container - I think one of my front runners is a UFO style puck (think smaller Ubiquiti U6 Pro look...). So that's an option - happy to share the STL files.

Mounting position depends a lot on your use, it's pretty flexible but you'd just need to check that it's suitably placed for whatever you're monitoring.

For example, under your drawers would be fine for most of the ambient sensors (temp, humidity) and you can add an offset if there were any challenges. I'd imagine things like dust readings might actually be slightly higher (which I'd say was good for knowing when to clean! ) But if airflow was lower there, then it might distort some of the gas readings.

What I'd probably do is just mount it one place for a week, then try under the drawers and compare readings to be sure.

Soldato
Awesome cheers.

I need to buy it yet. Have a few things i need to pick up, more urgently is some cameras. The back door in this rental doesn't lock and one company quoted September as the earliest they could fit one! Aiming to go with Reolink POE, like the look of the new wide aspect ones they do. Just need to check on running cables here given it's a rental and it's going to get expensive buying the cable!

It does look like there's quite a bit of Cat5e cable clipped on the outside which has been cut with old cameras being removed so might look at buying the crimping tool and re-using that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome cheers.

I need to buy it yet. Have a few things i need to pick up, more urgently is some cameras. The back door in this rental doesn't lock and one company quoted September as the earliest they could fit one! Aiming to go with Reolink POE, like the look of the new wide aspect ones they do. Just need to check on running cables here given it's a rental and it's going to get expensive buying the cable!

It does look like there's quite a bit of Cat5e cable clipped on the outside which has been cut with old cameras being removed so might look at buying the crimping tool and re-using that.
Get yourself the crimping tool and pass through connectors if you don't fancy the proper ones. Then CAT is pretty forgiving and inexpensive so run it through a vent or open window or whatever. I bought a 100M reel from MM for like 30 quid IIRC.

Soldato
Get yourself the crimping tool and pass through connectors if you don't fancy the proper ones. Then CAT is pretty forgiving and inexpensive so run it through a vent or open window or whatever. I bought a 100M reel from MM for like 30 quid IIRC.

Yeah i think i will. I see Unifi do an outdoor POE switch which might be a decent option as then it's only 1 cable out a window and i've already got that for the Starlink dish cable.

Looks like newer Reolink cameras work with Frigate. My goal was to install that on the same device as i've got Proxmox/HAOS installed. Do you foresee any issues with that?

Soldato
Can't comment on Frigate - I haven't experimented yet.

RE: The switch - usually it's easier to have the switch inside, as the cables will lead to points all around the house. Can't say I've ever felt the need for the switch itself to be outdoors.

Soldato
Yeah, it was mainly ease of cabling. My Dream Machine has enough POE ports available, however it's located at a bad end of the house and i thought it'd be better to run a single cable to an outdoor switch and then run cables from that to the cameras and possible doorbell. Although i need to try and decide on locations as i probably don't need many.

Ah, thought you were using Frigate with Reolink for some reason.

Also for a single company they have too many bloody cameras!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, it was mainly ease of cabling. My Dream Machine has enough POE ports available, however it's located at a bad end of the house and i thought it'd be better to run a single cable to an outdoor switch and then run cables from that to the cameras and possible doorbell. Although i need to try and decide on locations as i probably don't need many.

Ah, thought you were using Frigate with Reolink for some reason.

Also for a single company they have too many bloody cameras!
Yeah definitely run a couple of ethernet cables (in case one dies) from the UDM to another better located switch, I just have never had a use case for an outdoor switch as well.

I have a PoE Switch in my shed that is linked by 50m cable to the router - then my two Reolink cameras get power from the PoE switch via the shed.

Soldato
Looks like newer Reolink cameras work with Frigate. My goal was to install that on the same device as i've got Proxmox/HAOS installed. Do you foresee any issues with that?
Frigate is very tightly integrated with HA. Unless your Proxmox machine is low powered you won’t have any issues. I suggest you get a Google Coral to greatly reduce CPU overhead

Associate
if you can pass through your GPU ok, you can use openvino gpu accel for detection. you may not need the coral.

That being said i went with a pci (a+e key, replacing my wifi card) and its very fast. the usb version didnt work well, promox didnt like it (power management issue)

Back
Top Bottom