Home Assistant beginners

Soldato
Yeah I've had it a while ;)

So what plugin do you use? I have tapo smart plugs working lovely with HA.
WebRTC Camera in HACS

It creates a stream from the camera, so once installed you just add a tile:

type: custom:webrtc-camera
url: onvif://internal:[email protected]:2020?subtype=profile_2

Internal:internal is the default user/pass IIRC. IP is a static I set. The sub-type stuff is the stream.

There is a native TP Link Camera app if you really need PTZ.

Soldato
I’ve got an unraid NAS I could host it on within a VM if push came to shove.

Edit: its got plenty of spark resources it’s running on a 6 core 5820k and has 16gb ram.
As a bit of closure on this one - I spent a further hour fiddling with the Pi and then binned it off.

I've got it set up as a VM on my Unraid box now and its behaving itself. The performance is a lot better too.

Soldato
WebRTC Camera in HACS

Internal:internal is the default user/pass IIRC. IP is a static I set. The sub-type stuff is the stream.

Hmm I've installed webrtc - but I'm not sure what to do next! It doesn't find cameras... Do I need to add a generic camera (from integrations)?

Soldato
Soldato
The Lenovo M10 Plus is highly regarded for such a use. The big thing that appears to be Lenovo only is the option not to charge the battery beyond 80% ensuring longevity and it not blowing up...

Soldato
I've got a few K10's which I'll eventually get around to setting up properly. Lenovo tablet with no battery fitted. Currently have one running from a USB-C hub connected to the UPS which is powering the rest of the network and HA USFF PC. Online now for the last 5 months with no issues. Power requirement is 12v 3a PD source

Soldato
Dunno what i've done to my Rpi, but I disconnected it yesterday and now can't get it to grab an IP. can see it in Fing, network lights all flickering, but not able to jump on to it. anyone have any simple tips before I faff with trying to connect it up to a monitor/keyboard somehow.

Soldato
Dunno what i've done to my Rpi, but I disconnected it yesterday and now can't get it to grab an IP. can see it in Fing, network lights all flickering, but not able to jump on to it. anyone have any simple tips before I faff with trying to connect it up to a monitor/keyboard somehow.

Can you ping it? It's this sort of reason that I give stuff serving services a static IP.

Soldato
Nope, had nothing out of it. Very weird, turned it off for a few hours and got wife to plug it back in et voila, all back working luckily.
I've had pis do this...usually with pihole. Periodic reboot seemed to sort it most of the time, or unplugging and replugging the ethernet

Soldato
WebRTC Camera in HACS

Got it sorted with a c310. Very impressed. The feed cuts out on my phone when in full screen mode after about 5-10 seconds though. Works indefinitely in the tile.

How can you make the tile bigger??

Associate
OP
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Depends a bit on how you've set up the dashboard - try looking at the grid layout card and putting your CCTV cards in there, you can make full width or however many columns widths you want.

If you want to force it, you could use CSS, eg

type: picture-entity
entity: camera.your_camera_entity
style: |
ha-card {
--ha-card-box-shadow: none;
height: 300px; // Adjust height as needed
width: 400px; // Adjust width as needed
}

Just paste this in your card YAML editor

Last edited:
Back