Home Assistant beginners

Soldato
@jonneymendoza It is asking for the camera ONVIF server URL (basically the http web address to the cameras stream). You can find it fairly easily by going to the Web2RTC interface, which is: http://192.168.0.19:1984/ (obviously swap my internal IP for yours).

Click "add"

Then create the URL for your camera - for my doorbell for example it is:
onvif://camera:[email protected]

Where "camera" and "camera22" are my username and password setup in the Reolink app (Select your camera -> Cog icon -> Advanced -> User Mgmt).

Paste that URL under "ONVIF" on the Add tab of Web2RTC and it'll resolve to a stream URL.

On your dashboard then add the URL that the Web2RTC app shows you from above:
type: custom:webrtc-camera
url: onvif://camera:[email protected]?subtype=000
Thanks I'll give that a try later

Soldato
So heres a new strange wifi one…… i can now access via the same ssid on my android phone, but have to use the homesot for my ipad. Two HA updates since last weeks install.

But i still cant re-add my octopus home mini for some strange reason.

Soldato
I still think this is a networking issue rather than a HA one. When HA updates, it reboots so when it reconnects to your router something seems to be going skew whiff.

Is the Octopus Mini not able to connect to HA or the router? Either way, I still think this is a symptom of a broader networking issue.

Soldato
I still think this is a networking issue rather than a HA one. When HA updates, it reboots so when it reconnects to your router something seems to be going skew whiff.

Is the Octopus Mini not able to connect to HA or the router? Either way, I still think this is a symptom of a broader networking issue.
Mini is connected to router and reporting to octopus APP, never had a problem with that. Skyq and multiple ipads, laptops, sky mini box all set up to the router without issues…also have growatt inverter connected, effergy solar sensors, outside TV.

Its definatley an HA problem, as the mini was working in HA fine for 3 or 4 days and then just stopped and i wasnt the only one reporting the issue to HA

Last edited:
Soldato
Skyq and multiple ipads, laptops, sky mini box all set up to the router without issues…also have growatt inverter connected, effergy solar sensors, outside TV.
But those connect to the internet, you don't know if they are able to talk to each other etc.

Its definatley an HA problem, as the mini was working in HA fine for 3 or 4 days and then just stopped and i wasnt the only one reporting the issue to HA
You have to ask what changed in HA or the Octopus Mini. Could either one have taken an update or similar? I wouldn't assume it's HA, the Mini is presumably somewhat controlled by Octopus.

Soldato
But those connect to the internet, you don't know if they are able to talk to each other etc.

You have to ask what changed in HA or the Octopus Mini. Could either one have taken an update or similar? I wouldn't assume it's HA, the Mini is presumably somewhat controlled by Octopus.
Well my sky q box talks to my sky mini, one is wifi and one is ethernet connected, with zero issues.

there have been updates to both octopus energy in HA and HA updates too. But this issue with octopus mini in HA started before those updates.

but HA developer for octopus integration is working on the issue. Because as i stated, im not the only person thats reported the problem.

Soldato
Do you definitely want Wi-Fi sensors? I'm using these ZigBee sensors (there's 15 dotted about the house) and they're working perfectly.
Not particularly, but I have found Zigbee to be pretty unreliable at times. I use something similar to those, Aqara Temp/Humidity Sensor. I've swapped out batteries and it hasn't made the situation any better.

Associate
What are people using to calibrate temperature sensors? Notived that my Hive thermostat and Aqara sensor are 1 degree off despite being next to each other.

Soldato
Does anyone have any recommendations for Wifi temperature sensors? Currently, most of my Aqara Zigbee monitors aren't staying on the network, despite removing and reinizating them. Thanks
Do you have any Zigbee plugs 9n the house? These are mini hubs that help expand your Zigbee network and will help improve reliability. If you’re just connecting the temp sensors to your Zigbee dongle then you’ll have issues as they’re just end points

Soldato
Not particularly, but I have found Zigbee to be pretty unreliable at times. I use something similar to those, Aqara Temp/Humidity Sensor. I've swapped out batteries and it hasn't made the situation any better.

What sort of distance, and how many walls are between your Zigbee radio and the sensors? What Zigbee radio are you using?

I've got a fairly large house and using a Home Assistant Yellow (initially a Pi with a SkyConnect) I had occasional problems with sensors at the opposite end of the house from the radio but I've had zero problems since I installed an Ikea Trafdri Repeater.

Soldato
What sort of distance, and how many walls are between your Zigbee radio and the sensors? What Zigbee radio are you using?

I've got a fairly large house and using a Home Assistant Yellow (initially a Pi with a SkyConnect) I had occasional problems with sensors at the opposite end of the house from the radio but I've had zero problems since I installed an Ikea Trafdri Repeater.
Do you have any Zigbee plugs 9n the house? These are mini hubs that help expand your Zigbee network and will help improve reliability. If you’re just connecting the temp sensors to your Zigbee dongle then you’ll have issues as they’re just end points
I have a few Zigbee plugs, one in the bedroom along with a Trafdri router with an Aqara temp sensor. I live in a converted bungalow, and yes some of the walls are thick, but the unavailability of devices has increased in the past month.

Associate
Any recommendations for smart plugs, I have a couple of innr, 10 meross and just returning a couple of onvis for dropping out, the meross randomly drop out over the years but not enough to bother replacing them, the innr have been solid over the years but have hue or ikea to extend the network but they are years old and wondered what is recommended now ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Any recommendations for smart plugs, I have a couple of innr, 10 meross and just returning a couple of onvis for dropping out, the meross randomly drop out over the years but not enough to bother replacing them, the innr have been solid over the years but have hue or ikea to extend the network but they are years old and wondered what is recommended now ?
Thanks
Are you looking for extra functionality like power monitoring? If not then personally after experimenting with a few different types I ended up settling with Hue. I was using Innr plugs everywhere at one point but they would occasionally go unresponsive and it became frustrating. I ended up replacing them gradually with Hue plugs and they’ve been solid, no drop offs or going unresponsive. The vast majority of my bulbs are Hue as well which might help with the strength of the zigbee network, so YMMV. If you’re wanting zigbee instead of wifi as well as power monitoring then there really aren’t too many options out there. I only found a couple on the market and decided I could live without power monitoring and went with hue and don’t regret it…

Back
Top Bottom