I don't like going out for dinner.

Caporegime
I think it depends on the restaurants you go to. Some aren't very good and I've been to quite a few that are overpriced rubbish (Miller & Carter springs to mind!!) When you find a good one you'll be back multiple times. There's a place local to us, tacked on to the local golf club, the food there is superb. We've been easily 10 times this year and the food is always great and the prices extremely reasonable. Everyone I've spoken to about it says it's great also. I also had what might be the best burger I've ever had last week too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
When I was a temp for a job bureau when I left school to get some quick dosh, I worked in a works canteen for two weeks, talk about an eye opener to how food was handled!
That's just a bad head chef and bad management. We can see through to the works canteen kitchen from the serving area and I've never seen anything bad. The chefs and kitchen staff routinely have what's on the menu too.

Soldato
My wife and I are both good cooks, and often ran into the “could have made better at home” scenario. So when we go out now, we make sure it’s somewhere good. Doesn’t have to be Michelin star (although it helps :D).

We also do a lot of research on TripAdvisor if we’re going away. We had a three-week tour of Australia back in 2015 and didn’t have a single bad meal across Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Cairns.

So our general rule of thumb is to go out infrequently (not like we have much choice with a small child) but when we do go out, we make sure it’s somewhere special.

Associate
I know what you mean, there's always the old beancounter in the back of my head, even if someone else is paying. But it's nice to not have to do any of the work for a change, and it's a good way of trying stuff you might not have thought of. I like to go to places and order something that sounds nice, and if I like it, try and emulate the recipe. Getting really into my Indian food at the minute - there's much more to it than curry.

Soldato
I love going out for dinner, but the prices are ridiculous. Also, a lot of places seem to have a very limited menu, the last few times i've been out i've ended up with burger and chips :(

Caporegime
I love going out for dinner, but the prices are ridiculous. Also, a lot of places seem to have a very limited menu, the last few times i've been out i've ended up with burger and chips :(
A limited menu isn’t a bad thing as it means they get very good at making the food well and tasty. A huge menu means there’s always something that doesn’t get ordered very often. Practice makes perfect and making the same thing again and again makes the chefs better at it.

Soldato
A limited menu isn’t a bad thing as it means they get very good at making the food well and tasty. A huge menu means there’s always something that doesn’t get ordered very often. Practice makes perfect and making the same thing again and again makes the chefs better at it.

Oh agreed, i'm not talking pages and pages, but last place i went to had maybe 6 dishes, half of which were fish which i don't eat. Although i like steak pie, sometimes i don't feel like a heavy meal either.

Last edited:
Associate
I also dread going to a restaurant, looking through the menu and not really finding anything that appeals apart from a burger - that is really the definition of I can cook that at home, or pizza. I'm also not a fan of fish. I always try and look at the menu online before we go, and if I'm going to have to have a £20 burger or something just say I'll stay at home. There's one exception - if there is a place that does really proper nice, deep fried crispy onion rings - not like the frozen ones but with proper beer batter, then it is worth going to occasionally.

Soldato
We now visit places with a good selection of starters or similar and quite often will select 6 starters to share and that suits us.
Have noticed this too, a lot of places have fancy starters with average (but not bad) mains. Some (most?) Indian restaurants are like this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have noticed this too, a lot of places have fancy starters with average (but not bad) mains. Some (most?) Indian restaurants are like this.

Within reason we find that Monkfish, Game and the like mains has been done and done to death, but a choice of 6 or 8 different starters and an amuse bouche tickles the taste buds and leaves us more than satisfied + Sometimes Chef puts more into these dishes than the main.

Associate
We now visit places with a good selection of starters or similar and quite often will select 6 starters to share and that suits us.
There's a couple of Turkish Meze' restaurants that have opened up around here and they do really nice starters, same with the Indian's like I said. Personally I think it's a business tactic as people like to spend for a bit of everything, but if I've got the cash I don't mind for a good night out.

Don't get me started on Italian restaurants... I love proper Italian food, but there are so many con places that charge way too much for a plate of pasta. I was dating a girl once who insisted on Prezzo's, I reluctantly agreed and was horrified at what passes as a business model these days. I wouldn't have minded if it was whetherspoons price but they were charging restaurant prices for microwave meals essentially.

Associate
We go out maybe 6 times a year, if it’s over £25 a head it sets me off on the wrong foot. My gripe is the main course always looks a reasonable price, the starters and desert scandalous

Associate
Why I don't mind going to Wetherspoon, the food is average but it's cheap as chips, so I don't feel hard done by.
And if you look about, there are places that do good food that doesn't cost a fortune, it's just you often have to look harder to find them. I guess they don't need to advertise because they have consistent clientele. I look at it as a bit of a negotiation thing, if they do a nice meal for a good price, I don't mind buying a couple of overpriced drinks. You have to look at it from the other perspective - it's not easy running a business with overheads, licensing requirements, etc. They need to make their money somehow.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I agree with the suspended op.
Its sooo expensive and I just don't get my moneys worth in "enjoyment".

Fancy food is wasted on me. I'd rather a pie, roast potatoes and some veg at a basic (but nice) pub. Anything fancier than that and it's a waste.

Don't mind using my tesco vouchers on pizza express type chains though. But otherwise, they very much aren't worth full price.

Bella Italia actually used to be decentish for a chain with the Tesco vouchers when you got 4x the value. The last two times i've been have truly awful though :( (Edinburgh) Branches.

Associate
I find takeaways even more of a let down sometimes. We went through a stage of ordering takeaway pizza, as we have a few really good Neapolitan places nearby. But the quality is much worse once it's been stuck in a box, sweating, toppings fallen off etc. We had 3-4 takeaways in a row and thought you know what, this is rubbish. Went and had a sit-in pizza and one of the places and it was 10x better. Delivery wasn't even much cheaper (if at all?). Total false economy.

This, takeaways I've noticed recently are just as expensive as going to restaurant recently. And the quality has gone down hill.

Fish and chips are no longer a cheap meal, last time I got dinner for 3 of us still set us back £50.

I used to like going out for dinner me and the Mrs but since the boy come along it's been much less frequent due to time. But when we have gone out for a meal I've always been left disappointed, not just the taste of the food but the ambience of the restaurant and the service. Both me and the Mrs can cook well, we've used cookaway in the past which we found really nice too quality ingredients etc, but that's become far to pricey now.

Saying that there is a lovely little Spanish tapas bar in our nearest town but it's always packed to the rafters making it difficult to enjoy the meal, that and I always leave feeling I've only had half a meal, which then annoys me for the cost, if paying over £100 for a meal and drinks i don't want to leave thinking I want to eat as soon as I get home or grab a takeaway..

I think with chain restaurants you need to walk in expecting the food to be a bit rubbish, they aren't employing top quality chefs, it's all just microwave and boil in the bag for the most part, and for me, we're in the chain because it's convenient and we know exactly what we're expecting for the cost e.g out shopping for the day can't be arsed to cook and dint want a mackers or wait ages for a takeaway to get delivered when we get home, so we'll go in wagamamas or something (though i must admit wagamamas is a chain where the food is slightly elevated above bland level)

Edit: Toby carvery or any such like tbh, why on earth do people rave about a Toby as if it's some amazing thing, it is (and in my experience any carvery type place) are frankly abysmal, the meat is usually dry or you get very little of it, the roast potatoes taste like they've been re-heated they have no seasoning, the eg is over cooked and the service is always always shockingly bad. This is a meal I definitely rather cook at home even with all the mess and washing up.

I have had good roasts at pubs there was a great little pub in the new forest that done a cracking roast dinner, but wasn't a carvery .

I feel like I'm becoming a boring old fart rather staying in and have friends round than go out, but tbh I think it's the world outside just generally getting *******

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom