Mens clothing

Soldato
There is a fashion thread btw so for reference, but if you just want to dress a bit smarter without looking like you are on break from a middle management meeting at [generic office name here], then just take a stroll down to any factory outlet shopping centre and pick up some nice looking stuff from Ted Baker or similar.
Ted Baker is a dangerous place for 38 year old males to visit. They end up with some floral two toned colar number and **** flicker shoes.

Soldato
What do you all wear and more importantly where do you shop for your clothes?

I wear chinos, a shirt, a jacket, and good shoes. I shop at M&S and Slaters for the clothes. For more casual wear I switch to polo shirts and jumpers from Lands End and M&S respectively. For shoes I have a pair of trainers, a pair of work boots, and a couple of pairs of good dress shoes, plus some poor quality dress shoes.

I do have a suit for more formal occasions but I wear it perhaps once or twice a year. I also have a dinner jacket which gets worn once a year, a relic from when I wore it perhaps a dozen times a year.

Caporegime
I'm 38 and my dress sense is awful. I pretty much wear jeans and a t-shirt and maybe a hoodie if cold but I want to smarten myself up. I like the idea of getting a couple of suits but more "casual" suits so I don't look massively over dressed or maybe a button up shirt with some jeans or something.

Maybe also consider sports jackets/blazers too then, especially if this is for dressing well outside of the office/workplace. (And avoid the early 00s business suit jacket and jeans thing.)

Take a look at this twitter account, he sometimes dunks on US right-wing politicians and prominent figures for fun (though his most recent tweet is directed at the US VP's husband), regardless he always justifies his tweets where he provides criticisms or praise and gives examples:

That's perhaps in line with what you're looking for.

And some of these examples:

He gives guidance on fit etc.. too:

He'd be worth following and also just scrolling through some of his previous threads as plenty of what he posts is basically in line with what you're looking for; casual wear but a bit smarter. :)|

Soldato
Maybe also consider sports jackets/blazers too then, especially if this is for dressing well outside of the office/workplace. (And avoid the early 00s business suit jacket and jeans thing.)

Take a look at this twitter account, he sometimes dunks on US right-wing politicians and prominent figures for fun (though his most recent tweet is directed at the US VP's husband), regardless he always justifies his tweets where he provides criticisms or praise and gives examples:

That's perhaps in line with what you're looking for.

And some of these examples:

He gives guidance on fit etc.. too:

He'd be worth following and also just scrolling through some of his previous threads as plenty of what he posts is basically in line with what you're looking for; casual wear but a bit smarter. :)|

It’s funny seeing Derek blow up on Twitter after years of posting the same stuff on Styleforum (which like OCUK has persisted through the ages).

Soldato
As someone who wore jeans and t shirts with logos on them for far too long I'd say it's probably time to start dressing a little more 'age appropriate' so chinos, shirt, polo shirt, shoes instead of trainers, jacket. There's a few channels on youtube to get some ideas but really you should try and find stuff that suits your body shape and the style you want.
I've only got one suit and tend to keep it for more formal stuff like weddings or funerals.

Man of Honour
Top Nitefly tip - buy jeans that are straight leg and reasonably well fitted. You’ll sacrifice on comfort a touch but they’ll look so much more flattering than more ‘baggy legged’ loose jeans that might be more appealing in the dressing room based on comfort. Took me until my 30s to realise this.

Also, think of the whole outfit. Putting on a bunch of cool garments together might make you look ‘busy’ or at worse ‘try hard’. For example if you’re wearing loud trainers, go with a simpler look elsewhere to make dem pumps pop!

I did laugh at the Ted Baker comment earlier… I do have a nice plain jacket from there but their floral stuff is terribly overbearing and so ‘Ted Baker’. You just look like you’re wearing ‘Ted Baker’ rather than your own outfit.

Caporegime
Are jeans ever comfortable? I mean, we all wore them as kids, but were they ever good? I might be alone in this, but I hate jeans with a passion.

Soldato
I used to love jeans for comfort. Now wear a lot of shorts. Recently bought some tracksuit bottoms. Man they’re comfortable.

I still wear jeans though and they’re really, REALLY comfortable.

Soldato
Are jeans ever comfortable? I mean, we all wore them as kids, but were they ever good? I might be alone in this, but I hate jeans with a passion.
I've still got a couple of pairs, for old times sake, but no, they're bloody uncomfortable! Maybe it's an age thing, as unfortunately things change as you get older.

Man of Honour

It sounds like a fashion disaster but you can get ‘stretchy’ jeans that are much more comfortable if you’re struggling. Not as terrible as they sound.

Back
Top Bottom