Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
According to t&c posted elsewhere you're not eligible if you had over £500 in Chase savings on some random date in March.
Yup, just spotted their T&C's -

Eligibility​

You can get this offer if:
  1. you became a Chase customer and opened a Chase current account on or before 29 February 2024 and:
  2. you didn’t have a Chase saver account on 8 March 2024; or
  3. you had one or more Chase saver accounts but the balance across all of those Chase saver accounts was below £500 on 8 March 2024.

https://www.chase.co.uk/gb/en/legal/chase-saver-with-boosted-rate-terms-and-conditions/

It seems a bit ***** of them but i guess it's just a ploy to try and attract a few extra customers, oh well...

Soldato
Is this for new savings accounts/customers only?
Already got one of their 4.1% savings accounts and haven't had any emails nor see anything in the app about this.

Is T212 FSCS protected on uninvested interest generating money? I always thought they used QMMF's for uninvested cash, so it becomes unprotected :confused:

The issue for some is they can use QMMF's. All most my deposits are were banked until yesterday. Now it shows 99.8% banked and 0.2% in QMMFs.

The banked money is protected. The money in the QMMF isn't.

Soldato
Interesting new banking option - bnp I'm afraid .. the ccv changes regularly
hadn't realised there was much fraud there, but maybe other benefits ?
probably won't give them £12/pa
8-cryptogramme.jpg

DYNAMIC CRYPTOGRAM: RELIABLE AND INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY​

Reinforced security for remote payments​

How it works?​

Thanks to the Dynamic Cryptogram, your payments by telephone and your purchases on the Internet (from a computer or a smartphone) are even more secure: the series of 3 numbers on the back of your card (the cryptogram or “CVV”) changes regularly and automatically, randomly.

Protection against fraud​

So, you can safely entrust your bank card information for this type of purchase: even in the event of hacking, data theft or fraudulent use, your card will be unusable, since the cryptogram will have changed in the meantime!

No change to your payment habits!​

Keep the same PIN​

If you already hold an Origin / Origin card for minors, Visa Classic, Visa Premier or Visa Infinite, you keep your confidential code unchanged when adding the Dynamic Cryptogram.

Shop online with complete peace of mind​

If you take out a subscription with a periodic payment, pay in several installments, or have your card details saved by an Internet merchant to make purchases later on their site, don't worry: there is no need to worry. has no change for you, and your payment habits remain the same as you currently have.

Same features​

Finally, your card of course retains all its existing functionalities: choice of immediate or deferred debit, payment and withdrawal limits, insurance and assistance, contactless payment, etc.

Soldato
The issue for some is they can use QMMF's. All most my deposits are were banked until yesterday. Now it shows 99.8% banked and 0.2% in QMMFs.

The banked money is protected. The money in the QMMF isn't.
If I wanted my money in a MMF I'd do it myself. They're effectively investing your cash if they put it in those.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys,

I have a mega idea for an app. I gift the idea so someone can serve me.

Basically it takes like 5 mins to do any transaction because I have to check:
1. AMEX Cashback
2. BarclayCard Rewards
3. RBS Rewards
4. Monzo Cashback
5. Revolut (boo hiss)
6. Perks at Work
7. QuidCo
8. MBNA Smart Rewards (closed it now)

It'd be great to just whack in a retailer to an aggregator. I guess it'd make several mil so I'll take a mil upfront and call it quits.

Soldato
OK daughters toys, if that isn't a euphemism for power tools for diy .....
. reminded me my Quidco account is dormant, so long I haven't used it, need to get them to pay the monies into b/a

-----

Assembling some funds for house deposit : need to find better banking solutions (maybe they are secure though)
$Dividend cheques - depositing occasional dividend checks - saw I had payed Lloyds international commission of $60 on some K$'s, and now $12 to transfer that to currencies direct.​
Also that BNP bank has limit of e20K/day for electronic SEPA transfer to currencies direct, not e100K I expected https://www.atlar.com/guides/sepa-bank-payments

Soldato
Chase - are their costs to pay in cheques or for IBAN transfers low though ?

will probably ask in a mobile phone thread too -
has anyone had any issues with Bank mobile Apps not functioning correctly to receive push authorisation codes for transactions if you are using wi-fi calling eg. no 4G/2G signal

Soldato
Interesting new banking option - bnp I'm afraid .. the ccv changes regularly

8-cryptogramme.jpg

Great example of building something not needed :D

Soldato
Interesting, when i ran a comparison with Wise/Currencies direct for €30k it was better with Wise although i don't recall the amount. I then spoke to Currencies Direct who suggested they were only cheaper over around £60k

Will have a look at Revolut, but always hear such grim stories that saving a few hundred quid over Wise might not be worth it!

finally making some transfers : and the winner seems to be Xe.com, vs currencies direct;
after monitoring over a couple of days Xe.com seem to apply typical 0.5% shift/commission on spot exchange rates and Currencies direct 1.0%,
so effectively you loose twice as much on the exchange, w/>60k examples.

example today spot exchange 0.8532£/e , XE 0.8482, CD 0.847

Back
Top Bottom