MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Soldato
Finally downloaded drivers and BIOS to update. Current BIOS version I'm running is dated 23.06.2021.

Not sure when the drivers were last updated.

Associate
Has anyone had any problems using the secondary NVME slot of the chipset on this motherboard?

Just tried to install a Netac NV7000 2tb in the secondary slot (unclear if it was the phison or innogrit model).

Doing so resulted in a complete inability of the system to respond to the power button.
Taking the drive out resulted in the same.
Clearing the CMOS with the drive out, and hitting Power got me back to a normal boot.
Putting the drive back resulted in complete inability to respond to the power button.
Clearing the CMOS after the drive was installed resulted in complete inability to respond to the power button.
Taking the drive out, clearing the CMOS with the drive out, and hitting Power got me back to a normal boot.

Does this look like a quirk of the motherboard, or is it 'typical' of a defective SSD?

Many thanks. PgT

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone had any problems using the secondary NVME slot of the chipset on this motherboard?

Just tried to install a Netac NV7000 2tb in the secondary slot (unclear if it was the phison or innogrit model).

Doing so resulted in a complete inability of the system to respond to the power button.
Taking the drive out resulted in the same.
Clearing the CMOS with the drive out, and hitting Power got me back to a normal boot.
Putting the drive back resulted in complete inability to respond to the power button.
Clearing the CMOS after the drive was installed resulted in complete inability to respond to the power button.
Taking the drive out, clearing the CMOS with the drive out, and hitting Power got me back to a normal boot.

Does this look like a quirk of the motherboard, or is it 'typical' of a defective SSD?

Many thanks. PgT
Id be testing that drive in another system / the primary slot on the board to confirm if the SSD is good or not.

I recently installed a 990Pro in my 2nd slot, and had no issues at all.

Associate
awkward dilemma.

put in the test pc and ran the opensuse installer, sees the disk fine - appears more than happy to write to it.

so, two problems:
1. i do in principle need a bunch of 2tb drives for storage backup, but this one isn't accepted by the main PC (where I wanted it).
2. while it seems to work, i still don't know if its phison or innogrit (my fault) - i only bought it because phison has 3Gb/s full driver transfer (for backups).

seems like it might be better to return this drive and ditch Netac NV7000 2tb (given they cheekily swap different controllers in and out). :(

Associate
Anything of note added by this updated?

ITs always such a pain re-doing all BIOS settings after an upgrade that I am loathed to bother.

I am sure my old Z97m had a better update process, as the settings where retained if you did so via windows. (I think... memory might be hazy)

Soldato
Anything of note added by this updated?

ITs always such a pain re-doing all BIOS settings after an upgrade that I am loathed to bother.

I am sure my old Z97m had a better update process, as the settings where retained if you did so via windows. (I think... memory might be hazy)

If it aint broke don't fix it :D

I go through the latest BIOS's whilst i'm still configuring (RAM oc usually) but once i'm settled and using it for a while, that's it. I'll only update now if there's an issue worth solving with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it aint broke don't fix it :D

I go through the latest BIOS's whilst i'm still configuring (RAM oc usually) but once i'm settled and using it for a while, that's it. I'll only update now if there's an issue worth solving with it.

Last bios is out of beta !

• Description:
    - Patch Potential Security Vulnerabilities of AMD Ryzen CPUs

Back
Top Bottom