MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Soldato
Did you tune that yourself?

I converted one of my old Rover Turbos to run on Megasquirt about 10 years ago and while I did get it running, it never saw the road but the tuning bug has never left me.

I am sorely tempted to fit an ECU to my MX5 while it's still NA to refresh my knowledge before potentially supercharging it in the future.

There’s a good video from the me221 guys around installing one of their ecus into a stock algae and the mild gain it gives. Lots of great information on the same from the carpassionchannel on YouTube as well.

Soldato
It's funny how sometimes what you think you want doesn't quite play out in reality. I was so excited to get a proper water tight double garage so I could store the MX5 in it. Fast forward a few months and it's just in the way.

I really wanted to keep it to see if my son takes an interest but I think the spring will see me shifting it and using the proceeds to fully kit out that side of the garage as a workshop so I (and hopefully very soon we) can get back into RC models.

Will be hard to let go of it after 11 years but the reality is that someone else might actually have time to drive the thing.

Soldato
Isn't a MK3 with a detachable hard top just out of interest? :D
Ha! Nope.

It's one of the last mk1's. Thankfully by the time it was a few years old the earliest cars were already showing signs of the dreaded rust so the second owner had it fully undersealed early on.

All original bar a stainless exhaust and mohair roof. Just under 50k on the clock!

Even describing it makes me want to keep hold of it... My biggest mistake was buying a house that didn't have more outbuildings/garages! Or at least the space to build some.

Caporegime
Checked my tool kit to make sure I had both towing eyes in the car for a track day on Monday and it felt a puddle...

Where the rear lights had been taken off they didn't really bother to clean the lights and around the seal so it's just been making it's way in during this two week downpour. Ordered a couple of gaskets, done the drivers side for now but will do the passenger side at some point.

Well there was water in the same place again so I guess I'm going to get the silicone out on the vents. I can't see/feel where else it would be coming from.

Tackled another source of ingress today. Hopefully with more success. Also stuck on the spare set of wiper arms I painted up as the originals were fairly ruined.

Next job is to take the front bumper off so I can swap the highlights over for a set I bought off facebook for £100 that I've polished, coated and stuck better bulbs in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well there was water in the same place again so I guess I'm going to get the silicone out on the vents. I can't see/feel where else it would be coming from.

Tackled another source of ingress today. Hopefully with more success. Also stuck on the spare set of wiper arms I painted up as the originals were fairly ruined.

Next job is to take the front bumper off so I can swap the highlights over for a set I bought off facebook for £100 that I've polished, coated and stuck better bulbs in.

Cowl grommets is still something i need to do; what sealant did you end up going with? Fernox LSX?

And you've done an awesome job with those headlights. Did you end up DA polishing and then clear coat afterwards or do something else?
I did grab a Holts kit (was cheap on Amazon at the time) to do mine as they're starting to turn but now wondering if it's worth going to that extent given it'll look a lot better and probably last longer...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cowl grommets is still something i need to do; what sealant did you end up going with? Fernox LSX?

And you've done an awesome job with those headlights. Did you end up DA polishing and then clear coat afterwards or do something else?
I did grab a Holts kit (was cheap on Amazon at the time) to do mine as they're starting to turn but now wondering if it's worth going to that extent given it'll look a lot better and probably last longer...

Permatex 81158 Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant around the grommets.

They just needed a light polish with medium and fine compound, I've got some Gyeon Trim to coat them with. I've got a holts kit to redo the ones that are on the car to sell on so I'll report back.

Right mess that's made on everything :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
After spending a week with an aching body from having to brace myself during the track day, and listening to my drivers seat squeak like nothing else I've finally ordered a proper seat for it.

Cobra Nogaro Circuit - the lower sides aren't too high so you can actually get in/out of the car.

(not my photo)

Caporegime
Not had a chance to fit the new seat but did some winter preventative maintenance.

Gave the underside a good wash and coated all my new shiny stuff in Bilt Hamber Dynax-UC. Dries off more or less clear and isn't sticky - almost like candle wax.

Soldato
Bit of an issue with my MX5 NB on the way home today.

I haven't used it since breaking up from work and popping it in our garage on the 21st December.

Went back to work today so got it out, started and drove as expected to work.

Then on the way home it was kind of idling poorly. When I was driving along it was as if it would lose power for a second here and there causing it to pull back a bit, and then at a roundabout near home it stalled. Luckily came back on right away and now it's back in the garage.

Not sure if it's a factor (or how it could affect things) but it's been out in the rain allll day at work (unfortunately)

I'm hoping it's just due to not being used for week and a bit, but just odd that the drive in was fine.

It's on the lower end of the fuel gauge as I intended to fill it up on the way in tomorrow

Soldato
Probably not related but my one went through a phase of having the odd miss fire and a new set of leads sorted it right out. Plus I went for a red set which must be worth at least an extra 5 BHP, at least I think that's how tuning works ;)

EDIT - Actually, I did plugs and leads at the same time... so it could have been the plugs :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Just bought one of these to enjoy the summer, do a few track days.. Been debating it for a while but glad I did. Got it on the cheap with a few issues but sorted these now (PRHT not working, sticking rear brakes, etc.) Put some new shoes and tyres + alignment on and it's very responsive (-2 camber).

Is there anything else I should be doing on this? I got the brass shifter bush but it was way too stiff - the shifter didn't return to neutral so the old plastic one went back on.

Rollbar - any suggestions? I'm thinking Cybul as they seem to ship here, GCFabrications haven't got back to me.

Cheers!

20240117-151044.jpg

Soldato
Wife just picked up an 2005 NC1 JP import, with the colour matched hard top. Lovely condition for the age, engine seems in fantastic condition, relatively low mileage and touch wood, not much rust and no leaks with the hard top fitted!!
She's going to use it now and then for some leisure etc; and we're getting rear parking sensors and a camera fitted to try and help keep it in decent nick, and make it easier for her to use it as a daily drive if needed.

Can anyone recommend anywhere good in the MK/Beds/Bucks area to get a roll bar fitted (that won't interfere with either the soft or hard top, or make it hard to access the rear panels etc), just incase the worst happens?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom