MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Soldato
Have read NC2/NC3 door cards (integrated cup holder), as well as other parts of the interior, are interchangeable with the NC1. Only issue is cost of them, even secondhand.
Worth checking on MX5OC/MX5Nutz etc as i'm sure someone has probably done the swap.

That's perfect

Did a bit of a search last night and there were a few options for track style aftermarket cards, but i'm more after stock without the cupholder.

Bit strange a 2 seater car needs to have 4 cupholders....

Caporegime
So after making myself partially deaf with the MX-5 I swapped the original back box onto the car to shut it up. You can see there's a fair difference in size.

wAXSZQH.jpeg

sfk6jzj.mp4

It wasn't just loud, but DEEPLY unpleasant, and got a lot of unimpressed looks. Got a BBR Grand Touring back box on the way for a long term fix.

Did a quick oil change before a track day as the stuff in the car was rotten after 2500 miles and two track days. Mazda dealer really did that filter up tightly..

8lvgqiO.jpeg

nnEuz4x.jpeg

Sneaky valentine's day track day.

f8rcyYc.jpg

2d1QIFf.jpg

DsTWIht.jpg

lpl3QNF.jpg

alLn8yK.jpg

XfCAGk1.jpg

Roddisons pads worked well, but haven't lasted. Giving PBS Pro Track a try next.

Yh0vmsI.jpeg

Soldato
Personally I found the Roddisons pads a bit 'meh', ok on track but nothing special and from cold they lacked bite and felt 'dead'. They did last reasonably for me but don't think I really noted how much I did with them tbh, but not short enough (given a decent amount of track use) to be too bothered by it...

Think my next set were the Mintex F4R's and they were really nice from cold and just as good on track, the cold bite was especially nice doing sprints/hillclimbs in it :p

Caporegime
The roddisons pads were okay day to day, they are okay for standing on the brakes and getting the car stopped but there’s not much modulation. For £100 an axle they’re acceptable, the PBS were £120 for fronts and £100 for the rears. If these last better and give better modulation then I’m happy.

Associate
@Janesy B, car is looking great, I have been looking for entry level track car options that isn't an MX-5 but those post 2009 NC's are starting to grow on me.

Did you manage to track it before and after the power upgrades? I'm a bit concerned I will find the standard power a bit slow. Interested on your thoughts.

Caporegime
@Janesy B, car is looking great, I have been looking for entry level track car options that isn't an MX-5 but those post 2009 NC's are starting to grow on me.

Did you manage to track it before and after the power upgrades? I'm a bit concerned I will find the standard power a bit slow. Interested on your thoughts.

I did two track days with stock power and would happily do more, I just got fed up of being bullied by Clio 182s :D

Soldato
Fitted the MX5Things roof controller yesterday for the PRHT... so much more convenient!! It's a good bit of kit and quite a bit cheaper than the Smart Top version.
I know you're NZ based but where did you end up getting it from?
Been on the hunt for a while but i can only assume the NC version is EOL'd given most places in the UK stopped selling it or have 'Sold Out' next the product and i've never seen them back in stock :(

Soldato
Is the headroom on the nc1 much worst with a electric hard top
I'm not too sure as this is the only MX5 i've ever been in.. I'm a short arse so it's ok for me.

I know you're NZ based but where did you end up getting it from?
Been on the hunt for a while but i can only assume the NC version is EOL'd given most places in the UK stopped selling it or have 'Sold Out' next the product and i've never seen them back in stock :(
I got it from mx5things.com - I actually ordered the RF version by mistake but the owner sent me a new .hex file to reflash it and a different loom - might be worth dropping them a message, then don't last long when they are back in stock. He sends a bunch to 'flying miata' too when he has stock.

Associate
I have an MX5 (Mk3 hardtop) in my garage, SORN. Not used for ages but runs fine and would sail through an MOT. I was wondering about the best place to sell it. I'd rather it go to an "enthusiast" not a muppet, and not considering WBAC etc.

I've been out of the scene for ages.

Any suggestions?

Hussman

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an MX5 (Mk3 hardtop) in my garage, SORN. Not used for ages but runs fine and would sail through an MOT. I was wondering about the best place to sell it. I'd rather it go to an "enthusiast" not a muppet, and not considering WBAC etc.

Any suggestions?

Hussman

Mx5 OCUK forum has a buying and selling section, it might be worth putting up an advert there.

Apologies I didn't realise it was for paid up members until I saw the link :(

Last edited:
Caporegime

Any suggestions?

Hussman

Put an MOT on it and sell it on ebay/AT etc. There's a few groups on FB too.

Soldato
Hey all!

Is there a "Best" Grill for the NB?

mine came with this one and it's not great imo. The edges are wavey etc. (screws need replacing as they are rusty)

Any suggestions on a better grill? Not a fan of the shiny stainless ones. Just want something subtle

PXL-20240229-171256415.jpg

Associate
Mx5 OCUK forum has a buying and selling section, it might be worth putting up an advert there.

Apologies I didn't realise it was for paid up members until I saw the link :(

Yeah, that's why I didn't go with them. I used to be a member, but haven't been for a while now.

Soldato
Yeah, that's why I didn't go with them. I used to be a member, but haven't been for a while now.
TBH from a quick look on there nothing really seems to be moving. Certainly not on the mk1 side which is what I was concerned with.

I need to get shot of my one but I can't bring myself to do it. I also need to end my MX5OC membership, I think I'm up to about a dozen unopened copies of STHT now! That's in addition to a similar number that which have been opened and never read!

Back
Top Bottom