New Cardiff signing onboard missing flight

Soldato
My guess is probably not, but as Ibbotson was not qualified for the job, some responsibility for the plane may come into it. Probably more to do with Henderson passing a job he was hired for onto someone who wasn't qualified.

Caporegime
Cardiff are appealing. They’re embarrassing themselves now, just pay up. It’ll hurt them more in the long run if they keep this protesting up.

They proudly told the world for weeks after his death that Sala was a Cardiff City player, and he was registered with the Welsh FA. But they’ve forgotten all that now it comes to the money. Totally immoral.

Soldato
Cardiff are appealing. They’re embarrassing themselves now, just pay up. It’ll hurt them more in the long run if they keep this protesting up.

They proudly told the world for weeks after his death that Sala was a Cardiff City player, and he was registered with the Welsh FA. But they’ve forgotten all that now it comes to the money. Totally immoral.
Totally agree Rob its a disgrace they should add interest on it as well if they keep delaying he was there player and it was tragic but they should pay up and let things move on

Soldato
The Bluebirds believe the transfer was null and void, saying the Premier League had rejected certain clauses requested by Nantes in the original contract and that Sala never had a chance to review or sign the final version, meaning their record signing was not registered as a Premier League player.

If what Cardiff are saying is true then i get it tbh. Would Nantes pay if it was the other way round?

Soldato
It's a tough one without knowing all of the details and I think those decrying Cardiff while ignoring that Nantes are there demanding the fee is a little harsh. 15m isn't a small sum to a team like Cardiff, especially now they're no longer in the Premier League. Even if they had insurance for something like this would they even pay out if he's not technically their player like they're saying?

I don't think Cardiff refusing to pay is any worse than Nantes demanding the fee personally and in the end it's sad that the tragic death of a young man is overshadowed by a money dispute.

Man of Honour
I don't think Nantes are being that unreasonable, the transfer was all announced etc and he's flying over to join the club, maybe there was some technicalities that needed ironing out but that probably happens with loads of transfers. The only reason he was on the plane is because he'd been sold to Cardiff.
Meh, maybe if the case isn't open and shut a tribunal should just ask Cardiff to pay half the fee and let people move on.

Caporegime
I don't think Nantes are being that unreasonable, the transfer was all announced etc and he's flying over to join the club, maybe there was some technicalities that needed ironing out but that probably happens with loads of transfers. The only reason he was on the plane is because he'd been sold to Cardiff.
Meh, maybe if the case isn't open and shut a tribunal should just ask Cardiff to pay half the fee and let people move on.

If you buy something and it is damaged in the post. Who pays for it? The sender. Whoever ordered the plane is who should pay.

Man of Honour
I had considered a similar analogy of items lost in transit, but the problem is in this case it's not really clear whether the original purchase was fully legally binding. So to expand on the analogy, this is more like:

Cardiff agrees to buy something from Nantes.
An intermediary decides to transport the item from Nantes to Cardiff and it is lost in transit
Nantes want to get paid for their item.
There is a dispute around whether the actual agreement to buy the item was made properly.
Cardiff don't want to pay Nantes because their item got lost in transit.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would imagine it would come down to Incotems 2010 and that Nantes weren't responsible for delivery of the "product".
Any well drafted terms and conditions for the purchase of an "item" this large will specify when risk transfers. That is, does the buyer take on all risk when it leaves the factory, or not until he receives it? Depending on how the item is to be shipped, this may affect the purchase price quite heavily. However, most items aren't capable of transporting themselves, unlike footballers.

Presumably footballers are just expected to get themselves to their first day at work though, just as I would be if I relocated from London to New York, so I imagine those terms aren't in agreements to buy footballers. I don't think you can draw parallels between sale of goods and footballers

Back
Top Bottom