New headset : Pimax Crystal

Soldato
Make sure you carefully follow the instructions for quad views foveated - there’s an install order for OXRTK and some graphics settings that don’t play nice.

If DCS is your bag the crystal absolutely mops the floor with the G2 due to the ability to use quad views.

Let us know how you get on!

Last edited:
Soldato
Make sure you carefully follow the instructions for quad views foveated - there’s an install order for OXRTK and some graphics settings that don’t play nice.

If DCS is your bag the crystal absolutely mops the floor with the G2 due to the ability to use quad views.

Let us know how you get on!
First impressions. Wow
2nd impressions. My nose hurts.... Might take a while to get it set up on my face correctly. I've ordered the Apache strap so hopefully that should help.
3rd impressions I can see the supercarrier from about 100 miles out........lol. Still smashed into the back of it though but so far im impressed.

I've only had a little play tonight. I'll hopefully get it set up tomorrow better.

I'll have a read up on whether I've got quadviews set up properly... Is there an obvious way to know?

Soldato
3rd impressions I can see the supercarrier from about 100 miles out........lol. Still smashed into the back of it though.

Maybe ship simulator is more for you.
50743288142_4132b2c759_o_d.gif

Soldato
Shouldn’t be hurting your nose once you’ve got it set up right - are you tightening the top strap enough?

Apache is a huge comfort mod, takes almost all the weight on to a nice wide strap.

Associate
OP
Any of you Crystal owners based around Birmingham? Now I have a Q3 for comparison... I fancy getting on the Pimax
I think @Zeeflyboy has a Crystal and Quest 3. If you don't find anyone near you you could buy from it from the rain forest and return it within 30 days if you don't gel with it.

Associate
2nd impressions. My nose hurts.... Might take a while to get it set up on my face correctly. I've ordered the Apache strap so hopefully that should help.

The apache strap can help with that, what you need to do is get the rear strap down low at the back of ur head (where the battery is) in order to lift the hmd off ur nose. I know what you mean though it can put pressure on ur nose...
bizarrely it may actually help to add more weight to the back of the strap

You picked the right headset for DCS primary use though, there is nothing better right now so worth your time getting it setup right.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally punched down on one, It'll be here on Thursday. Reservations about going with Pimax, the leveller being the fallback on Amazon with the no quibble 30 day return.

Had to have a DP connection, had to have eye tracking. The last couple of weeks has been weighing over the Aero and the Crystal with both those boxes being ticked. Tough call as the sim racing community seems to favour the Aero, ultimately though the smarter innovations going forward look to be with the Pimax.

Looking forward to this, been a long time coming.

Associate
Finally punched down on one, It'll be here on Thursday. Reservations about going with Pimax, the leveller being the fallback on Amazon with the no quibble 30 day return.

Had to have a DP connection, had to have eye tracking. The last couple of weeks has been weighing over the Aero and the Crystal with both those boxes being ticked. Tough call as the sim racing community seems to favour the Aero, ultimately though the smarter innovations going forward look to be with the Pimax.

Looking forward to this, been a long time coming.
I have an aero and have just ordered a crystal to compare, I really hope I like it as I’m not a fan of the poor vertical fov of the aero. If the crystal works well and can be made comfortable then the aero and lighthouses will be sold, if not the crystal can always be returned

Associate
I have an aero and have just ordered a crystal to compare, I really hope I like it as I’m not a fan of the poor vertical fov of the aero. If the crystal works well and can be made comfortable then the aero and lighthouses will be sold, if not the crystal can always be returned

ha ha , that didn't take long for you to change your mind. Let me know what you think vs the Aero when it arrives. I hope you bought it from Amazon with the £399 off voucher?

Last edited:
Associate
ha ha , that didn't take long for you to change your mind. Let me know what you think vs the Aero when it arrives. I hope you bought it from Amazon with the £399 off voucher?
Yeah I’ve ordered it from Amazon with the voucher, it seems that everyone has a different experience with it so I figured I’ll try it for myself. Nothing to lose really as I can just return it if I don’t like it

Soldato
Wow AMS 2.

Lots to discover, but that initial run out on Automobilista left me gushing. Right off the bat it's the fov that's surprised me most. Coming from the pico it's a huge improvement, gone is the binocular, reminding me of the open box view of the Index. Doing an open wheeled race in a P3 around Imola felt wonderful. The fov really added to the sense of scale, i could really open up the track and take the perfect lines.

Looking forward to diving in to it tomorrow, touch wood it all still works.

Associate
I’ve got mine all set now and I think it’s a keeper! Loving the extra vertical field of view and the local dimming, comfort is not too bad but I will be looking into mods as it does put pressure on my forehead and leaves a big red mark, I think a pu interface would do the trick if there is one?
Is there a way of avoiding steam vr completely? In my aero I used openxr and just launched the games directly from steam desktop but with the crystal it always goes through steam vr and I can’t find a way to view the desktop from the headset directly.

Back
Top Bottom