New headset : Pimax Crystal

Associate
I used to just launch from the desktop Pimax app and put the headset on once the game started.
Also don't get tempted to remove your lens unless you have to. They don't ever go back in to the perfect position and it messes with your IPD.

Last edited:
Associate
So what's it like vs the Aero when running at the same resolution (I mean if you're running the Crystal at 5100x4300 100% then run the Aero at the same resolution)
not much in it tbh but that extra vertical fov is a huge deal, playing dirt rally 2 I can see much farther into the distance when going downhill than I could with the aero

Soldato
Overall now I've gone through some of the library, i have to say i'm very pleased so far. Aside from concerns i had with working hardware, secondary to that would be performance issues. Very pleased comes from flawless experiences with more demanding games like Green Hell, No Mans, GTFO, 7 Days, and Derailed Valley. No Mans Sky is simply a stunning experience now, the best i've had in the crystal so far. The colours, field of view, razor sharp graphics, all moving without missing a frame on a mix of high and ultra settings making for a great sense of presence not entirely felt before.

Only a few problems, easily resolved i hope. I need an audio solution, my headphones barely just fit. Maybe some sort of 3rd party comfort option, wearable, but easily the worst out of the box experience over the 6 headsets i own.

Super impressed as much as surprised. The fears i had haven't happened, and i feel it was worth the money spent.

Associate
I've just read they're adding HDR to the headset with a firmware update. Not sure which VR games support VR HDR though? I love the HDR in the PSVR2. Makes a world of difference.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Finally the promised wifi is demonstrated to a 3rd party. It's quite apparent it is not in a finished/release ready state but good to see it is getting there. The lack of wifi was what put me off buying a Crystal, I think now after using MR with my Quest 3 i'd want the Crystal to have MR too before considering buying it, iirc MR is (was?) an intended feature.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pimax Crystal Super
PCVR Only (inside out tracking or lighthouse optional)
3840x3840 120hz QLED Panels with more dimming zones (912)
Glass aspheric lenses 30% larger than crystal
50ppd at 150 fov / 130 horizontal fov (57ppd optional lenses)
Eye Tracking (optional MR cameras)
800g weight
1799USD ex VAT inc controllers

Super has replaceable lens module
4K OLED option 90hz
Glass pancake lenses
1999USD ex VAT inc controllers

2399USD for both QLED and OLED versions in box

Shipping September 2024

===========

Pimax Crystal Light
PCVR Only (inside out tracking or lighthouse optional)
2880x2800 60,72,90,120hz QLED Panels
Glass aspheric lenses
35ppd
No eye tracking (software fixed foverated rendering)
Local dimming optional
Software upscaling 2160x2160 to 2880x2800
30% weight reduction (-250g front + -60g rear)
699USD ex VAT inc controllers
899USD ex VAT inc controllers (Local Dimming)

Shipping May 2024

Last edited:
Associate
I want a Crystal light with an OLED though.

Also, Pimax Crystal = £1799. Crystal light - $699.
So it's £1000 for eye tracking and local dimming?

Last edited:
Soldato
I want a Crystal light with an OLED though.

Also, Pimax Crystal = £1799. Crystal light - $699.
So it's £1000 for eye tracking and local dimming?

Problem with OLED is pancake lenses, so will be a bit dimmer, have some glare and a smaller fov

Hopefully in the future they can make some physically larger OLED panels

Remember, the original crystal had all the standalone gubbins which added to the price

Last edited:
Associate
One minute they claim aspheric, the next it's pancake, even your post has different lenses per headset, all while they're supposed to be the same apart from the interchangeable display module.
A lighter higher res Crystal with OLED sounds fantastic, if they get rid of the CA and warping from the current lenses. I'll probably order one the moment they arrive on anywhere which allows me to return it without sending it back to China.

Soldato
One minute they claim aspheric, the next it's pancake, even your post has different lenses per headset, all while they're supposed to be the same apart from the interchangeable display module.
A lighter higher res Crystal with OLED sounds fantastic, if they get rid of the CA and warping from the current lenses. I'll probably order one the moment they arrive on anywhere which allows me to return it without sending it back to China.

You have the choice with the super

Aspheric with QLED and large FOV
Pancake with OLED and smaller FOV

or you can even buy the super with both :) The swapable module is the panel and lenses together

You can't have aspheric with OLED though as the OLED panels are too small

Last edited:
Associate
ahh ok. I thought their thing was that it was all modular, not fixed to the display type.
It's a shame they have keep the clown size headset enclosure though, considering there's no more snapdragon in it..

Soldato
ahh ok. I thought their thing was that it was all modular, not fixed to the display type.
It's a shame they have keep the clown size headset enclosure though, considering there's no more snapdragon in it..

Yeah, it must be a cost thing, but they really need to bite the bullet and build something much smaller.
I know the casing was designed for the 12k with massive fov, but they need to get it sorted out really.

That said, this is a company who can't even make and deliver a damn comfort strap!

STILL out of stock - https://pimax.com/product/crystal-comfort-topstrap/

Or worse still, paint the damn speakers black. The really triggers my OCD.

Last edited:
Associate
Just did the Crystal in the cart price to UK thing, $1200 in the cart, turns out to be £1550 ish by the time you factor in shipping and tax.
So this might be closer to £1k+, unless you wait for some online store to get stock.
If I can get a bare bones Crystal for £600-700 I'll prob get one just because. If it's closer to £1k or more than I'll wait for the OLED or something

Back
Top Bottom