New York 5 days - Feb

Soldato
Hi

For ym wifes 40th birthday I have booked for us to go to New York, we have never to be America, Feb will be pretty wintery.

What are the recommended things to do in winter in New York?

Day 1 Katz.
Day 2 Dominique Ansel + Russ and Daughters.
Day 3 Clinton Street + Peter Luger.
Day 4 Nom Wah Tea Parlor
Day 5 Lombardi

Oh, Cantina Rooftop good shout as well for Mexican food.
:D

Last edited:
Soldato
It will be cold, we went end February/beg March and it had terrible snow, state of emergency declared and -30 with wind chill, could only walk for 20 minutes in Central Park due to it being so cold

Soldato
OP
We are staying at the RUI Plaza on Time Square.

Defo decided to try this place: https://trinityplacenyc.com/
Its a restaurant which is in a building that was once a bank, the vault itself is still there and is a major feature of the place. Seems very reasonable price as well.
Of course we will visit the twin towers memorial and my wife wants to visit maceys.
Rockerfeller rooftop is something I've alrerady been told is better than the empire state building so that is also on the agenda.

Soldato
We are staying at the RUI Plaza on Time Square.

Defo decided to try this place: https://trinityplacenyc.com/
Its a restaurant which is in a building that was once a bank, the vault itself is still there and is a major feature of the place. Seems very reasonable price as well.
Of course we will visit the twin towers memorial and my wife wants to visit maceys.
Rockerfeller rooftop is something I've alrerady been told is better than the empire state building so that is also on the agenda.

Rockerfeller is way better than Empire states.... Empire States is so cramped at the top, very little room to move. Also check out "The Edge" - that's also very very good/cool for bottom of the City views and I probably enjoyed that more than Rockerfeller.

Twin Tower Memorial is very good/moving and well worth a visit.

Staten Island ferry is free and you get a good view of the Statue of Liberty if you don't want to pay the prices to visit the actual statue itself. Just jump on the Staten Island ferry, go over, get off, walk round and get on the return ferry. All free.

Cabs are cheap and simple in NYC, Metro is fine as well, used it loads with the wife and kids. Brooklyn Bridge is a nice walk, be ware of the "tat" sellers.

Bus tours are decent as well - couple of days tour where you can hope on and off as you please... Good way to get around.

Central Park is a nice walk, the zoo is ok, but getting very tired/old.

Take warm clothes - can be very very cold in NYC this time of year.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Rockerfeller is way better than Empire states.... Empire States is so cramped at the top, very little room to move. Also check out "The Edge" - that's also very very good/cool for bottom of the City views and I probably enjoyed that more than Rockerfeller.

Staten Island ferry is free and you get a good view of the Statue of Liberty if you don't want to pay the prices to visit the actual statue itself. Just jump on the Staten Island ferry, go over, get off, walk round and get on the return ferry. All free.

Cabs are cheap and simple in NYC, Metro is fine as well, used it loads with the wife and kids. Brooklyn Bridge is a nice walk, be ware of the "tat" sellers.

Bus tours are decent as well - couple of days tour where you can hope on and off as you please... Good way to get around.

We will use cabs a fair bit my wifes health is not the best, she has something called fibromyalgia which is a condition which affects nerves, thus meansing long walks can be difficult for her.

My wife has already used the cold weather as an excuse to buy some new winter clothes, she is all over that hahaha.
Nice tip for the Statue of Liberty. We will be going there one day for sure.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
We will use cabs a fair bit my wifes health is not the best, she has something called fibromyalgia which is a condition which affects nerves, thus meansing long walks can be difficult for her.

My wife has already used the cold weather as an excuse to buy some new winter clothes, she is all over that hahaha.
Nice tip for the Statue of Liberty. We will be going there one day for sure.

Thanks.
Do the Freedom Tower lift/Twin Tower Memorial and then take a judgement about statue of liberty. We found it "sufficient" to see it in the distance from the tower without having to go visit :)

Soldato

FWIW I’m sure they’ve stopped the tat sellers on the bridge!

If you do, do the brooklyn bridge walk, I’d go the the WTC first walk over the BB and get something to eat and head back over on the Manhatten bridge.

Look out for the football pitch, theres some cracking pictures/paintings of legends of the game on the walls which was pretty cool. Considering they don’t really love the sport over there!

Soldato
I'll be there this year too, trip number 5. This time, 40th birthday, suite with a park view and no children.

Usual recommendations from me. Russ and Daughters, Crifdogs, Brooklyn Brewery throw free beer tokens at you if you do the brewery tour (it's actually interesting too, they touch on the mafia). View from the Rock is nice, cheaper than Empire State and you can see it in your view this way. Staten Island ferry will get you lovely free pics of the Statue of Liberty.

It'll be chilly in Feb but it's lovely any time of year. It does seasons really well.

I don't know if you're into the theatre but seeing a show on Broadway is something else. If you're going to see a show, might as well be there right?

You can often get tickets for that day by just going to the box office and asking what they have. They do good deals for same day tickets so can work out great. Be warned though, last time I did a show 1 beer, 1 wine, 1 water and a pepsi cost me $52 heh.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Also going this year and I'll have several days to myself and my beloved A7iii. We'll be going in April so weather should be fine (average of 8-17C), already got a list of places/restaurants to do as a group and just on my own :D. Thanks for the suggestions above.

Activities
Batting cage
One World Trade Center
Brooklyn Bridge (sun rise)
Manhattan Bridge/Dumbo
The Met
Oculus (mid-day or late in the day)
China Town (evening)
Williamsburg Bridge
Marcy Avenue subway station
Mid-town/Rockefeller
Vessel/Hudson Yards
High Line
Meatpacking District
Pier 40
Edge NYC
Brooklyn Brewery
Staten Island ferry

Restaurants/coffee/lite bites
Morgan's Brooklyn Barbecue
Smith & Wollensky
Tompkins Square Bagels
Tacos Cuautla Morelos
Rosie's
Magnolia Bakery
Katz's Deli
Russ and Daughters
Dominique Ansel Bakery
Crif Dogs

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Rangers Game or Ranger, Devils, Islanders :)
Basketball game
One of the big tall things (one world)
Statue of Liberty (just because)
Times square
China town (just go hungry)

Wandering around itself is quite fun, central park is actually pretty cool.

I didn't rate the bus tour at all, its far quicker to walk around or get the metro due to well Traffic.

Associate
Blue man group in the Lafayette theatre, sit between rows 6-8 on aisle seats for the best experience and buckle up for 90 minutes of mayhem.

Grand central station, then have some beers in the bar opposite called kershin palace (I think)

Capital grille in the Chrysler building for a steak

Ferry to liberty island

Ground zero

Walk over the Brooklyn bridge,.and a wander around central park.

I'm not into shopping, but had a good walk around Bloomingdale's which was quite impressive (think Selfridges)

Drink lots of beers in the many bars, and sit at the bar, best seats in the house.

Soldato
Also going this year and I'll have several days to myself and my beloved A7iii. We'll be going in April so weather should be fine (average of 8-17C), already got a list of places/restaurants to do as a group and just on my own :D. Thanks for the suggestions above.

Activities
Batting cage
One World Trade Center
Brooklyn Bridge (sun rise)
Manhattan Bridge/Dumbo
The Met
Oculus (mid-day or late in the day)
China Town (evening)
Williamsburg Bridge
Marcy Avenue subway station
Mid-town/Rockefeller
Vessel/Hudson Yards
High Line
Meatpacking District
Pier 40
Edge NYC
Brooklyn Brewery
Staten Island ferry

Restaurants/coffee/lite bites
Morgan's Brooklyn Barbecue
Smith & Wollensky
Tompkins Square Bagels
Tacos Cuautla Morelos
Rosie's
Magnolia Bakery
Katz's Deli
Russ and Daughters
Dominique Ansel Bakery
Crif Dogs

Good lists although I have to say I found Magnolia Bakery way over rated and way too expensive. The queue as well was insane.

Caporegime
Good lists although I have to say I found Magnolia Bakery way over rated and way too expensive. The queue as well was insane.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm definitely in a scatter shot mode with intended things to do.

Just seen Busta Rhymes and Cypress Hill are in town whilst I'm there, a little tempting as I haven't been to a gig in donkeys.

Soldato
I'm going in July, so should have decent weather, I have 5 nights as well, first full day I plan to go to Coney Island and second day I have a Mets game booked in, then i have two more full days and travel home day (evening flight) where I plan to visit as many food places as I can (Katz for certain) and see some things I didnt see last time, Highline being an example and maybe see whats on Broadway.

Back
Top Bottom