Newbie advice for PC build.

Associate
OP
From what you have said, I'm getting the impression that maybe you don't actually need a graphics card at all and if you DO buy one, you want to turn this into a proper gaming PC?

Your probably right but Ive decided to get the 3060. Ive always been a console game so Im not entirely sure that Ill take to the pc. No point in getting a more expensive card if its not going to get used so Ill get the 3060 for now. Ive read that they are good for 1080 gaming so Ill stick to that and if I get into playing on the pc Ill upgrade the in a year or so time.

Ordering now before I change my mind again!

Associate
OP
Ive got a bit of a problem and was wondering if anyone can advise.

Im trying to flash the bios before building the pc but it just wont update. Ive tried usb 2/3 and read and watched various troubleshooting guides with no luck. The LED flashes for about a minute and then stops. Apparently, if flashes for less than 5-6 minutes it hasnt worked.

Im not sure what to do now, I really dont want to put it all together to find out it doesnt work. The box says its only compatible up to 13th gen so im guessing it wont without an update first.

Any ideas?

Man of Honour
Build the pc outside the case with just CPU, memory and m2 and see if it boots up and goes into the bios.

If yes your good to build and install windows etc, then update the bios later .

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ive just tried it with the file saved as gigabyte.bin. I was using GIGABYTE.bin as thats what was used in youtube videos.

The bios flash LED flashed for 4 minutes at two different speeds and then stopped. The red motherboard LED and psu turned off at the 5 minute mark.

Not sure if it worked or not as everywhere says that a 32mb flash should take 6-8.

Associate
Ive just tried it with the file saved as gigabyte.bin. I was using GIGABYTE.bin as thats what was used in youtube videos.

The bios flash LED flashed for 4 minutes at two different speeds and then stopped. The red motherboard LED and psu turned off at the 5 minute mark.

Not sure if it worked or not as everywhere says that a 32mb flash should take 6-8.
Can you boot into the Bios? It should tell you which revision it currently is.

Associate
OP
I built it outside of the case today and Im happy to say it did boot into the bios.. I didnt see what revision it was though as I didnt have the AIO fitted and the temperature immediately hit 100c, so I turned it off quickly.

Ive nearly finished building it in the case now, Ive just got to screw the pump on and still waiting for the graphics card to turn up.

Man of Honour
I built it outside of the case today and Im happy to say it did boot into the bios.. I didnt see what revision it was though as I didnt have the AIO fitted and the temperature immediately hit 100c, so I turned it off quickly.

Ive nearly finished building it in the case now, Ive just got to screw the pump on and still waiting for the graphics card to turn up.
Let us know when it is alive :D I'd also be interested to know how well the IGP meets your needs (or doesn't), if you get that far before the graphics card arrives.

Associate
OP
Let us know when it is alive :D I'd also be interested to know how well the IGP meets your needs (or doesn't), if you get that far before the graphics card arrives.

Well the graphics card was meant to come today but didint turn up again, I had a feeling it wouldnt so finished the pc anyway. It works :D. I haven't really done much with it yet, apart from windows and driver downloads etc.

Ive decided to cancel that 3060 card though, and go with your suggestion of a 7800 XT or 4070 / 4070 super. My computer screens only 1080 but Ive got a decent tv, so ill plug it into that for games.

Is there a particular card out of those ones that you would recommend?

I take it my pc is able to run it with no other upgrades?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Seasonic Focus 750w psu
Cool, you should be good with either choice.

Is there a particular card out of those ones that you would recommend?
Here's a start:

There are user threads on the graphics forum, e.g.

I think the Hellhound did well in reviews, if memory serves.

Associate
OP
Cool, you should be good with either choice.

Here's a start:

There are user threads on the graphics forum, e.g.

I think the Hellhound did well in reviews, if memory serves.

Cheers, Ill do some research.

Soldato
Ive just googled and apparently there are only a few avisynth filters that make use of the gpu. I think that the encoding is cpu as well.

No im not fussed about a new monitor at the moment. Im using a 26 inch samsung tv and its fine for what im doing tbh
okay, but what is your budget for this build? people need to know this so they can spec the build within a budget, the budget is the next starting point

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom