Poll: Official 2024 Chinese Grand Prix Race Thread - Shanghai International Circuit - Race 5/24

Rate the China race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour

Belgian-GP-Header.png

Shanghai​

When was the track built?​

In April 2003, a marshland in the Jiading District of Shanghai was earmarked for Formula 1 greatness. Eighteen months and around $450 million later, the state-of-the-art Shanghai International Circuit was complete.

When was its first Grand Prix?​

The 2004 season featured two new races, one of which was the Chinese Grand Prix (the other was Bahrain). If either were added to try and stop Ferrari from winning everything, however, it didn’t work – Michael Schumacher won in Bahrain, while Rubens Barrichello triumphed in China.

What’s the circuit like?​

The circuit’s pleasing form when seen from the air – it’s designed to look like the Chinese symbol for ‘shang’, meaning upwards – is equally pleasing to the drivers on terra firma. There’s a unique start to the lap as the drivers fly into the ever-tightening Turns 1 and 2, before they dart left through 3 and 4. The super-high g force Turns 7 and 8 are loved by the drivers, while the circuit also features one of the longest straights on the calendar, the 1.2km stretch that separates Turns 13-14.

Why go?​

Shanghai has expanded itself into one of the world’s most dynamic and lively cities since the start of the millennium, making it an awesome F1 tourist stop. The sprawling Pudong district is chock full of hip bars and amazing restaurants. Then when it’s time to go racing, just hop on the Shanghai Metro’s Line 11 and get off at the Shanghai Circuit stop 60 minutes later.

Where is the best place to watch?​

We’re going to recommend Grandstand K, overlooking the Turn 14-15 hairpin, where you’ll be in the best seats to watch all the overtaking. Alternatively, head for Turn 6, the track’s other best passing spot, where Daniel Ricciardo sealed his 2018 win with a brave move on Valtteri Bottas.

Chinese Grand Prix 2024 - Schedule Information & TV Broadcast Times

Screenshot-20230724-173932-Power-Point.jpg

Channel 4 Highlights - Broadcast Times

Friday 19th April - Chinese GP Sprint Qualifying Highlights - 12:35
Saturday 20th April - Chinese GP Sprint & Qualifying Highlights - 12:15
Sunday 7th April - Chinese GP Race Highlights - 12:30

Weekend Weather Forecast (as at 17:00 on 16/04/2024)

Screenshot-20230724-173547-Kiwi-Browser.jpg

Track Diagram & Information

Screenshot-20230723-182624-Kiwi-Browser.jpg

Previous Race Highlights

Championship Standings (Drivers & Constructors)

Screenshot-20230723-185650-Kiwi-Browser.jpg

Just a reminder, but consider it a warning - can we not have any further derogatory name calling of drivers, team bosses and the like. We don't expect you to like every driver/team, but at least keep comments respectful.

If you don't follow this warning, you will lose access to the race thread and the thread for the following race as well.

This includes but is not limited to such terms including Lulu, Crashstappen, Karen Horner, Whingey Spice etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is going to be a tricky one for the teams and drivers. A track they haven't raced at since the groundforce era began, which has been extensively resurfaced in the mean time, on a Sprint Weekend that gives them only one practice session, and in which there is chance of rain for that one session.

Could get spicy!

Last edited:
Soldato
This is going to be a tricky one for the teams and drivers A track they haven't raced at since the groundforce era began, which has been extensively resurfaced in the mean time, on a Sprint Weekend that gives them only one practice session, and in which there is chance of rain for that one session.

Could get spicy!
Indeed, I fear the MacLaren's will suffer as the track isn't suited towards their car's handling characteristics. But then so could others because they could be making errors with their setups as well.

Associate
This is going to be a tricky one for the teams and drivers. A track they haven't raced at since the groundforce era began, which has been extensively resurfaced in the mean time, on a Sprint Weekend that gives them only one practice session, and in which there is chance of rain for that one session.

Could get spicy!
Spicy as in 1st and second are guaranteed but 3-20th could be interesting?

I will eat my hat if it is not a clean sweep by the RB cars and I don't even own a hat.

Last edited:
Don
Although its a sprint weekend, I'm happy that they've seperated it completely from the main event so that the race quali and race sit in their normal spots.

As someone else commented, rain on the Friday could unsettle set up for a lot of teams.

Question - are the cars in parc ferme for the whole weekend after sprint quali, or can they make changes after the sprint race, ahead of normal quali?

Don
Although its a sprint weekend, I'm happy that they've seperated it completely from the main event so that the race quali and race sit in their normal spots.
The only downside being that now an incident in the sprint potentially means the car doesn't get turned around fast enough to make it out for race qualifying.

A good comparison of the different years changes to the sprint format here:

Don
The only downside being that now an incident in the sprint potentially means the car doesn't get turned around fast enough to make it out for race qualifying.

A good comparison of the different years changes to the sprint format here:
and Albon gets a chance to break both chassis in one race weekend? :D

Associate
From the Minardi website:
Based on its experience from previous years, Formula 1 has changed the parc ferme rules, splitting it into two distinct parts. The first comes into effect as from the start of Sprint Qualifying on Friday and ends after Saturday morning’s Sprint race. That gives the teams a three hour window to work on the cars once more before the second parc ferme regime kicks in with the start of Saturday qualifying and ends after Sunday’s Grand Prix.

so technically the sprint shoot out and sprint itself are technically now FP2 and FP3, sneaky way to get around the fact that you can't have more than 1 F1 race on a weekend :D

also
Spicy as in 1st and second are guaranteed but 3-20th could be interesting?

I will eat my hat if it is not a clean sweep by the RB cars and I don't even own a hat.
if it's just a 1st OR 2nd but not both will you just eat half the hat?

Associate
I'd prefer it to not be a sprint race weekend but excited for the race, for the reasons others stated above. I think the fact we haven't raced here for years makes the entire weekend interesting, as teams scramble to gather data etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom