*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Cheers guys.

@ash888 - Haven't tried the separate SSID/network solution yet because as you can imagine, with the Q boxes falling over it's going down like a lead balloon with the rest of the household so reverted back to the Sky hub for the time being :cry: But will definitely give that whirl when i get a spare hour or so.
Did you end up disabling 5GHz on the Q boxes and are you connecting any of them to ethernet or is it all WiFi only? And have you noticed any issues with the Q boxes being connected to only 2.4GHz, like slow playback etc?

Signal is pretty good from what i can tell though, seems about on par with the Sky hub from quickly roaming the house when it was in.

no issues at all with playback or downloading programs, i only have 1 sky q box so not sure if having multiple would affect that. i didnt even disable 5ghz on skyq, just setup 2 separate bands.
i dont have any other devices connected on 2.4ghz, 20 channel width and auto channel.
hopefully you figure it out, was really frustrating when i had to deal with it.

Soldato
My UDM has suddenly decided to bork. Happened early this morning and thought it was just a one off so rebooted it. It's just happened again and it won't resurrect itself at all this time. It'll turn on, boot up to the point of pushing out SSIDs but with no DHCP and then the SSIDs disappear so I'm assuming it's crashing. Only thing I can think of that may be an issue is that I updated Network yesterday afternoon but that went without a hitch.

Does anyone have any pointers to help troubleshoot apart from a hard reset?

Soldato
May have been a heat issue. It was pretty hot (not unusually so) and I noticed a bit of fluff in the bottom vents. Unplugged it for half an hour and defuzzed it. Seems to be ok now but we’ll see…

Soldato
What CAT 6 "joiners" do people recommend where re-running a cable isn't an option for now.

Excel offer a few options but interested in what other options there are and I am not interested in those little plastic ones.

https://uk-store.netceed.com/ultima-cable-extender-cat6a-solid-or-stranded-shielded-silver.html was another option I found.

I have used these with no issues at all.

Soldato
Nobody excited by the 16-port Pro Max switches? - half the money for 2/3rds the ports. Seems like an OK deal.

Potentially, but I'm not interested in the flashy lights.

I haven't looked at the switch range for a while but a 16 port switch with some PoE, some 2.5Gbps ports and a couple of SFP+ ports is what I'd really like. I haven't looked to see if such a switch exists.

Soldato
Nobody excited by the 16-port Pro Max switches? - half the money for 2/3rds the ports. Seems like an OK deal.
It's not simply 2/3rd the ports though, you get half the 2.5g and no Poe++ 1g, I'd waste a 2.5g port purely to have the Poe++ for running a couple of cameras and a light.
But maybe, the price is tempting over the 24 port.

Last edited:
Soldato
Potentially, but I'm not interested in the flashy lights.

I haven't looked at the switch range for a while but a 16 port switch with some PoE, some 2.5Gbps ports and a couple of SFP+ ports is what I'd really like. I haven't looked to see if such a switch exists.

The flashy lights do switch off if you don’t want them. They actually have lots of pluses and it appears to have the same PSU as the Ultra 210W PoW switch which is always handy for spares control purposes.

Soldato
It's not simply 2/3rd the ports though, you get half the 2.5g and no Poe++ 1g, I'd waste a 2.5g port purely to have the Poe++ for running a couple of cameras and a light.
But maybe, the price is tempting over the 24 port.

I queried that and the response was that anything PoE++ would benefit from the extra bandwidth eg. U7-Pro, U6-Enterprise, U6 Enterprise IW or the USW-Ultra 8-port switch.

If I was a gambling man (and I’m not) I’d say these are stop-gap products using up parts that suppliers have excess of and there will be full 2.5GbE and 10GbE switches very soon. Unless I needed a particular switch feature right now, I think I might be tempted to wait 6 or 9 months to see what they launch early in 2025.

And I don’t know if anyone noticed but yesterday Alta Labs launched their local hosted controller either as a hardware option at $150 or licenced software with a one-off payment of $50. And I can’t say too much but their new router/edge security appliance looks to be AWESOME. The photos look to indicate it’s fully 10GbE on all ports.

Last edited:
Associate
I wasn't aware that the 16 port Pro Max had been officially announced so thanks. As for the cost it isn't bad until you have to add the rackmount kit and that's £46.80 :eek:

Soldato
I queried that and the response was that anything PoE++ would benefit from the extra bandwidth eg. U7-Pro, U6-Enterprise, U6 Enterprise IW or the USW-Ultra 8-port switch.

If I was a gambling man (and I’m not) I’d say these are stop-gap products using up parts that suppliers have excess of and there will be full 2.5GbE and 10GbE switches very soon. Unless I needed a particular switch feature right now, I think I might be tempted to wait 6 or 9 months to see what they launch early in 2025.

And I don’t know if anyone noticed but yesterday Alta Labs launched their local hosted controller either as a hardware option at $150 or licenced software with a one-off payment of $50. And I can’t say too much but their new router/edge security appliance looks to be AWESOME. The photos look to indicate it’s fully 10GbE on all ports.
Yeah makes sense.

I'm planning on running a Poe++ switch with 2 of those newer G5 turrets and one of those LED lights.
Not sure that will need 2.5gb

Soldato
I was until I realised that it didn't have an internal power brick and it only has 4x 2.5gbe ports..... got to be honest in this day and age no 'high end' product should be less than 2.5gbe across the board imo (making me struggle with going their switches even though I want to switch to ubiquiti etc) . When you can pick up 8 port fully 2.5gbe, plus 1 10gbps sfp port, admittedly without management, for under £65 it clearly isn't the network ports/hardware which is making it cost so much.

Alta looks like a solid alternative except they have even less 2.5gbe ports....they have none

Man of Honour
Any experience with the G5 Turret cameras? I've got a couple of G3 Domes which suck at night due to the err.. domes.
Yeah, I have the G5 turret, pretty happy with it but night time it's not going to be a patch on Hikvision colour.

G5-Bullet-5-8-2024-11-16-35-GMT-1.jpg

G5-Bullet-5-8-2024-00-38-26.jpg

However, it's clearly miles better than the G4 dome I have at night.

G4-Dome-5-7-2024-22-33-52.jpg

Last edited:
However, it's clearly miles better than the G4 dome I have at night.

G4-Dome-5-7-2024-22-33-52.jpg

That's a familiar sight, although my G3s are worse. Utterly stupid design, made worse by the fact they're bespoke domes you can't source anywhere. Ubiquiti just tell you to junk the camera and get a new one. Terrible e-waste generating policy.

G5 Turret looks decent, and reviews well. They're also cheaper (and in stock) on the EU store with VAT/shipping paid. Might have to nab a couple. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom