Phanteks D30 daisychaining

Soldato
I want to use 6 Phanteks D30 all regular direction. Three on the front pushing through a rad, two in the roof pushing through a rad and one on the back.

So, is it possible to connect all six to a single controller or will it need two controllers?

Can the rear single fan and the top two be daisy-chained with the included cables?

Soldato
I want to use 6 Phanteks D30 all regular direction. Three on the front pushing through a rad, two in the roof pushing through a rad and one on the back.

So, is it possible to connect all six to a single controller or will it need two controllers?

Can the rear single fan and the top two be daisy-chained with the included cables?

Yes you can, just use a Y splitter to connect both sets of 3 together.

Soldato
What about the single rear and the roof pair? Can they be daisy-chained for power and lighting?

I wouldn't wire and chain more than 6 into a daisy into 1 header. Depending on the amperage of the header, i think it would be pretty close to its limit.

I would split that into another header for the FAN but for RGB it should be fine. I've ran all my RGB into 1 header before and it was fine since its relatively low power.

Edit: If you're using an external controller though thats powered by molex or Sata then its fine, plug as many as you want into the controller unit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I wouldn't wire and chain more than 6 into a daisy into 1 header. Depending on the amperage of the header, i think it would be pretty close to its limit.

I would split that into another header for the FAN but for RGB it should be fine. I've ran all my RGB into 1 header before and it was fine since its relatively low power.

Edit: If you're using an external controller though thats powered by molex or Sata then its fine, plug as many as you want into the controller unit.
thanks for your help on this.

Associate
As @Jay85 suggested. Personally, motherboard allowing, I would use one PWM header for each group of fans, as you’re more likely to have front intake at higher rpm than top exhaust and rear exhaust. The ARGB cables can be daisychained, though.
Also mentioning @Jay85 :D , I’ve always limited to 6 fans per ARGB port. Usually you should’ve 2 ARGB ports with most motherboards nowadays, otherwise a cheap £10 powered hub should be a safe investment. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/deepcool-sc700-argb-12-port-hub-fg-008-dc.html
Good thing about the D30s is that any hub should work. Nothing of the nonsense of some brands that would require specific hardware and software to control it.

Soldato
OP
In case my location doesn't make it obvious, cooling is a small issue when the ambient shade temperature is around 40c. When the air you're blowing into the computer is already that hot, having good airflow really matters. I have learnt a lesson already that 140mm fans - even M25-140s - blowing onto a 360mm 60mm thick rad do not work very well. So here's hoping that 3 D30's blowing into the 60mm rad and three exhausting from the case including two through a 240mm 30mm rad will help.

Soldato
It's bad enough
When it gets into the 30 plus centigrade
Here in the sunny South East Coast
If 40c was a regular thing I would be looking at
Some kind of water chilling loop lol

As to how many fans
Or rgb fans/other devices on one header
Always worth looking at the motherboard manual
My board has extremely high amp headers
Compared to some
Also can take a silly amount of leds per header
Vague recollection it's several hundred leds per header
If in doubt though yeah play it safe
Just more hubs means more wiring and more things
To shove in an already full up case
Not so bad if you're OCD with wiring
Mines more a case of shove all the wires in the back
And pretend it's like your suitcase and get that side panel closed
By whatever means necessary :cry:

Associate
In case my location doesn't make it obvious, cooling is a small issue when the ambient shade temperature is around 40c. When the air you're blowing into the computer is already that hot, having good airflow really matters. I have learnt a lesson already that 140mm fans - even M25-140s - blowing onto a 360mm 60mm thick rad do not work very well. So here's hoping that 3 D30's blowing into the 60mm rad and three exhausting from the case including two through a 240mm 30mm rad will help.
So I guess an active backplate is a must. Back when I had a 3090, any decent waterblock, when ambiente was mere low 20s, and delta of 8C under load (3 x 360 45mm XT Alphacool), core temperature was well under control. But the memory at the back of the card was always near 90C under load. At 110C (if I’m not mistaken) will thermal throttling, regardless of the memory (from the core side of the GPU) temperature and core temperature. That was the main issue for most 3090 users: finding a way to keep the rear of the card cooled.
One cheaper solution is, if there’s already thermal pads installed between the rear of the card and the backplate, some heat conductive tape and some heatsinks may help. Not a lot, but will.

Soldato
Each of those fans are 0.2amps for the motor, so if your headers are 1amp, then you can only safely connect 4 fans to it to leave some headroom, if you have a 2amp header then you can connect all of them it it.

The LED side of those fans is 0.45amps per fan, and the limit of a header is generally 2 or 3 amps, but you'll have to check the motherboard manual to find out what yours is.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tend to stick with 3 fans on a 1A header (without sata power etc)
Allows for higher draw when spinning them up
4 might be doable I guess
But I prefer a wider margin for safety

More than 1A headers are a lot more common now thankfully
Got 3A possibly even 4A on mine
Though been so long since I read the motherboard manual
I might be imagining the 4A :cry:

Soldato
OP
Well, I've gone ahead and ordered some (about £65 here for three, the beauty of low VAT). For reference, this is only cooling a 7700K and a 4070Super in a loop with a 60mm*360mm and 30mm*240mm. The system is used for web browsing/online tv and folding on the gpu.

CPU with a mild oc to 4400 is in the mid-high 50s (15-20c over ambient) because folding fully occupies one core so that temp is the hottest core but of course much lower than if all cores were loaded.
GPU with a mild oc to 2820 is around 60c (20-25c over ambient) at full load.

Will post pics and numbers once fitted.

Soldato
It's bad enough
When it gets into the 30 plus centigrade
Here in the sunny South East Coast
If 40c was a regular thing I would be looking at
Some kind of water chilling loop lol

As to how many fans
Or rgb fans/other devices on one header
Always worth looking at the motherboard manual
My board has extremely high amp headers
Compared to some
Also can take a silly amount of leds per header
Vague recollection it's several hundred leds per header
If in doubt though yeah play it safe
Just more hubs means more wiring and more things
To shove in an already full up case
Not so bad if you're OCD with wiring
Mines more a case of shove all the wires in the back
And pretend it's like your suitcase and get that side panel closed
By whatever means necessary :cry:

Remember when the UK had 38-40c summer? I had to downclock my hardware to keep it cool, even my watercooling system was struggling abit in that heat.

My GPU is undervolted anyway so that was fine but my cpu had to be clocked down and voltage dropped to cope when doing any modelling workloads lol, was pretty insane!

Soldato
I tend to stick with 3 fans on a 1A header (without sata power etc)
Allows for higher draw when spinning them up
4 might be doable I guess
But I prefer a wider margin for safety

More than 1A headers are a lot more common now thankfully
Got 3A possibly even 4A on mine
Though been so long since I read the motherboard manual
I might be imagining the 4A :cry:

This, most of my boards im using now are 3A unless its an absolute potato of a board and i mean the low end budget stuff.

Soldato
This is an old photo i did add one more in the roof lol but they was all on one header(via the corsair AIO).
the d30 doesn't had a 100% kick start and i have them all set to constant 25%, never ran into a problem

D30's are amazing, been a fan since i got my T30's and i hope they continue to make these Fans despite the saga with Lian Li.

Associate
D30's are amazing, been a fan since i got my T30's and i hope they continue to make these Fans despite the saga with Lian Li.
For me the T30s are the absolute best. Used the D30s for a while, and even if they don’t match the T30s for performance, they’re excellent fans, for those looking for RGB. None of the humming or clicking.

Soldato
yer the t30 carry a lot more performance. but the d30 look and perform top notch. i have all my fans linked in to one system(corsair) for fan control and i had to slow the rad fans down to let the coolant temp go up a little so the other system fans would ramp up when under load.

but yer under max load 35% system is silent. idle all dans at 25%
and its cool under them setting CPU games in the high 40's Gpu dose tend to get up near the mid 50 some time haha i do worry about that

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Adding some of these tomorrow. Can’t wait. One of the few offerings in a reverse configuration.

Oh, I’ve missed this saga? They look great, it was the one part of my build I rushed and hadn’t decided on, should have gone with these from the start.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom