Associate
Hi All, New here. So i recently upgraded to EE 1.6gbps, the EE SMart hub only has 1gbps lan ports, so i bought an ASUS GT-AX11000 Pro router, which has 10gbp LAN port, and 2.5gb WAN, then i connected the 10gb port to a BroTrends 2.5gb 8 port switch. Previously had all 1GB network gear. 1 of the PC's connected to the 8 port 2.5gb BroTrends switch is having regular micro drop outs, its not very noticeable as it drops and reconnects instantly, the PC is a relatively new build with MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk board, 48gb ddr5 i5 14700k etc etc.. it has 2.5gb LAN port. I went round the houses for 2 weeks! I've never had a switch do this. Not knowing or thinking a brand new switch could do this, i bought a PCI NIC for the PC that was dropping out, still got the drop outs, tried different ports on the same BroTrends switch, still drop outs, bought new CAT 7 cables for everything connected to it, still gettting the drop outs, even bought a new motherboard, STILL DROP OUTS, then i thought, right, let me swap back to my old 1gb 8 port switch (TPLINK), drop outs stopped! dont know why i didnt do this sooner! but the thing that wasn't pointing to the switch was, none of the other devices connected to the switch were dropping out! Is this a faulty switch??

Soldato
Um... You bought something that isn't what you think it is. If you have the option, return it, it's only got a 1Gb WAN port and 2.5Gb LAN, the 10Gb claim is BS marketing based on the potential wifi speed.

RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT for WAN x 1, RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT for LAN x 4, Multi-Gig Ethernet port 2.5G/1G x1

As to the issue in question, 2.5Gb port to 2.5Gb port should be fine, I would put more faith in the Chinese rebranded switch than anything ASUS sell.

Caporegime
When you say drop outs, is Windows saying that the cable is disconnected? If so then the switch is faulty, no doubt about it.

Um... You bought something that isn't what you think it is. If you have the option, return it, it's only got a 1Gb WAN port and 2.5Gb LAN, the 10Gb claim is BS marketing based on the potential wifi speed.

RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT for WAN x 1, RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT for LAN x 4, Multi-Gig Ethernet port 2.5G/1G x1

As to the issue in question, 2.5Gb port to 2.5Gb port should be fine, I would put more faith in the Chinese rebranded switch than anything ASUS sell.

That's the standard version, the Pro has the interfaces the OP stated. https://rog.asus.com/uk/networking/rog-rapture-gt-ax11000-pro-model/

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Thats not the Pro

I have this one

Associate
OP
When you say drop outs, is Windows saying that the cable is disconnected? If so then the switch is faulty, no doubt about it.
i get random pop up saying You are offline then connection restored. If i run a continous ping i get 'GENERAL FAILURE' or Request timed out. I 've done the whole uninstall and re-install drivers, network reset (im on Win 11 x64), Winsock reset, etc etc.. flush dns, blah blah blah

Last edited:
Caporegime
What application is generating a "you are offline" pop-up? Where are you running the ping to?

You need to determine whether you are losing connectivity to other devices on the switch or the link status lights are turning off, otherwise you can't narrow this down.

Associate
OP
What application is generating a "you are offline" pop-up? Where are you running the ping to?

You need to determine whether you are losing connectivity to other devices on the switch or the link status lights are turning off, otherwise you can't narrow this down.
well the first few days, when i was swapping to new cables, new nic etc etc.. i was pinging the router 192.168.50.1.....then i have also been running pings to google 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 all give similar faults
the image below is the pop up i get.

Soldato
That's the standard version, the Pro has the interfaces the OP stated. https://rog.asus.com/uk/networking/rog-rapture-gt-ax11000-pro-model/
Oh sweet Cheesus it gets worse... a £399 version with RGB :cry: My advice still stands. Also that no connection image denotes wifi to me rather than wired, but who knows what UI standards Windows does at this point. Also no mention of NBASE-T support in specs for the 10Gb port, I would be amazed if it didn't support it given the 2.5Gb WAN, but you never know.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oh sweet Cheesus it gets worse... a £399 version with RGB :cry: My advice still stands. Also that no connection image denotes wifi to me rather than wired, but who knows what UI standards Windows does at this point. Also no mention of NBASE-T support in specs for the 10Gb port, I would be amazed if it didn't support it given the 2.5Gb WAN, but you never know.
It's not a Windows UI element, so probably not looking at a loss of the physical link here, OP needs to break things down a bit so they're only testing one element at a time.

Associate
OP
It's not a Windows UI element, so probably not looking at a loss of the physical link here, OP needs to break things down a bit so they're only testing one element at a time.
this is what i was thinking...it looks like an Nvdia pop up, but the Ethernet/LAN icon in my task tray does go out also showing the globe with the no entry across it, and then immediately reconnects, i have not seen 'cable unplugged' or anything like that.
I did test almost one thing at a time, when i had ordered the 1.6gbp FTTP i was on 900mb so in preparation (the engineer couldn't come out for 2weeks - the next available booking) i purchased the asus router and a 2.5gb switch, and im pretty sure the 'drop outs' started then. i initially thought it was something to do with the settings in the router, but double and triple checked and couldn't find anything, in fact WIFI is switched off on the router because i have RJ45 ports in every room in the house. I'm old school and use as much 'cabled' connections as possible, it has more throughput as you all probably know, the only wireless devices, connected to AP's/Extenders around the house are Phones and tablets.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Do you suggest i get this router instead

Soldato
Do you suggest i get this router instead
As much as I don't like ASUS and make jokes, I wouldn't suggest randomly changing variables at this stage to fault find, that's generally poor practice. Work through the process piece by piece until you identify what is breaking where and then why.

Associate
OP
Hello All and thanks for your help. Just want to elaborate on the full story in depth.....firstly some background on me.....i'd class myself as a 'prosumer' with a mild IT background....i love getting new up to date tech (within reasonable cost). I've always loved upgrading to faster broadband speeds and help push BT along to get our area covered by getting the neighbours to fill out the registration forms and ring them etc....like back in the day when 2mb came out (showing my age now) Then when 38 and 80mb VDSL2 came out etc. etc.. i made sure to rally the neighbours and really get Openreach and BT to pull their finger out. I am by no means in some rural country side, im in the heart of Essex. So naturally when FTTP came out I jumped at the chance and went straight to 900mb. Have been around the houses with broadband companies from Zen, to SKY, BT and some others. I have had all sorts of brands of Wifi extenders and routers and switches, Belkin, LInksys, Netgear etc etc. Always trying to improve the home network so there are no dead zones and everyone can use all their devices with stable and fast connectivity.

SOOOOOO...where the current issue started..........Jan 2024 i do a new PC build....MSI Tomahawk Z690 WIFI Mobo, i5 14700 cpu, Corsair RAM 48gb, Corsair 850w power supply, RTX 4070 gfx of some description....i will mention i am not a gamer, im just impatient and like a fast computer, when i click i expect the page to load...DONT MAKE ME WAIT! lol

I had been on BT's 900mb FTTP package the day it came out in our town (first one on the road to have it) which has been 2yrs, eagerly following the progression of 1.2, 1.6 and 1.8gbps speeds soon coming. As soon as EE had it available on the availability checker, i booked in for the upgrade, i was with BT so had to be migrated over to EE with 900mb initially. So as i had been reading about the associated tech upgrades in the industry, and my new build having 2.5gb lan port, i thought in order to get the most from the 1.6gbps connection i'd upgrade the router to one that has 2.5gb or higher WAN and 2.5gb LAN ports (at least 1). So after much review reading and searching i settled on the ASUS ROG GT-AX11000 Pro, and a BrosTrend 8 x 2.5gbe port switch. I was still on the 900mb service awaiting my appointment at the time of purchase. I installed these and then noticed the DROP OUTS BEGIN!!

Im a huge victim to the SUNK COST FALLACY! So i ignored it for a while then thought, oh its something stupid, it'll sort itself out. Then i started with the cheapest option first and 1 by 1 process of eliminatiion began....

1. Purchased CAT 7 cable to replace the Cat6 from my pc to my RJ45 socket in the wall which goes to the BrosTrend switch. (DROP OUTS REMAINED)
2. Purchased a PCI NIC to eliminate it being the RJ45 port on my 3mth old Mobo (DROP OUTS continued)
3. replaced Ethernet cables from Router to ONT, RJ45 wall socket to BrosTrend Switch all to Cat 7 (still getting drop outs)
4. Then i tried a different port on the switch (still drop outs)
5. Tried different port on Router (still getting drop outs)
6. I purchased a new MSI Tomahawk Z790 Wifi Motherboard moved all my hardware over etc.. (STILL GETTING DROP OUTS)
7. Swapped BrosTrend 8 x 2.5gbe switch back to OLD TP-Link 8 x 1gbe port switch (NO MORE DROP OUTS) aha! we are onto something!

**** Luckily the NIC, Asus Router and BrosTrend were still with in the return and refund period........I have now sent all items back ****

Now i have orderd a TP-LINK Archer BE9300, £100 less than the ASUS and has 4x 2.5gb LAN ports and 1 x 2.5g WAN port.
A zyxel 8 x 2.5gb port switch, a TP-Link 8 x 2.5gb switch and a QNAP 4 x 2.5gb and 2 x 10gb port switch
I will test all the above switches and report back!
(Obviously i dont intend on keeping all the switches i just need 1, but i will keep the one that WORKS! if any!)

So i hope everyone now understands....i did take a systematic approach and only do 1 change at a time. I will report back!

Last edited:
Soldato
I feel like i’ve just gone on the technological equivalent of a first date… just to be clear, you can pay for yours :D

It’s a lot easier when you have the kit to test, so ideally two 2.5Gb devices running iperf with static IP’s on the same subnet over just the switch, as that would have confirmed if it was that or the router, but if that’s not an option, then changing both of the last links in the chain is about the best outcome and should give you the same functions for less money.

Associate
OP
I feel like i’ve just gone on the technological equivalent of a first date… just to be clear, you can pay for yours :D

It’s a lot easier when you have the kit to test, so ideally two 2.5Gb devices running iperf with static IP’s on the same subnet over just the switch, as that would have confirmed if it was that or the router, but if that’s not an option, then changing both of the last links in the chain is about the best outcome and should give you the same functions for less money.
LOL i'll gladly pay for mine!

Well i've been using Amazon as my 'test kit bin' LOL So i can still try what you are saying, So my brother and i have 2.5gb Lan port PC's so we could set them with Static IP's, i assume iperf is an app. It will be a couple weeks till the TP-Link Archer BE9300 arrives so i have switched back to the EE Smart Hub Plus that they supply with the 1.6gbps FTTP package, which has a 2.5gb WAN port to connect to the Nokia ONT with a 2.5gb port. but all the LAN ports are 1gb, however i have connected the Zyxel 8 x 2.5gb and was instantly getting drop outs with in 15-20mins. So that one is out the window, the TP-Link MG 108 something its called also a 8 x 2.5gb also giving drop outs! So those have gone back....so far the QNAP 2x 10gb and 4 x 2.5gb is holing up the best with only 2-3 drop outs in 12hrs or so.

So i'm switching my PC to 1GB FUll duplex mode and testing that.....if that fixes the issue.....what does that mean? i mean im trying to get a 2.5gb network going, so running in 1gb kind of defeats the object of it all LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom