Soldato
LOL i'll gladly pay for mine!

Well i've been using Amazon as my 'test kit bin' LOL So i can still try what you are saying, So my brother and i have 2.5gb Lan port PC's so we could set them with Static IP's, i assume iperf is an app. It will be a couple weeks till the TP-Link Archer BE9300 arrives so i have switched back to the EE Smart Hub Plus that they supply with the 1.6gbps FTTP package, which has a 2.5gb WAN port to connect to the Nokia ONT with a 2.5gb port. but all the LAN ports are 1gb, however i have connected the Zyxel 8 x 2.5gb and was instantly getting drop outs with in 15-20mins. So that one is out the window, the TP-Link MG 108 something its called also a 8 x 2.5gb also giving drop outs! So those have gone back....so far the QNAP 2x 10gb and 4 x 2.5gb is holing up the best with only 2-3 drop outs in 12hrs or so.

So i'm switching my PC to 1GB FUll duplex mode and testing that.....if that fixes the issue.....what does that mean? i mean im trying to get a 2.5gb network going, so running in 1gb kind of defeats the object of it all LOL
If you're using a different router and switch and still getting the same issue, then it's highly unlikely to be either of those, back to the common elements here (cables) and the source PC, but you changed boards, so that wouldn't normally carry over.

Iperf is a command line tool that can be used to do simple performance between devices and a lot more, I use it on linux/BSD, but windows binaries are available https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php

Just came across this
Helpfully MSI just list Intel 2.5Gb/s LAN in specifications which is pretty poor. The i225 rev a and b were a cluster duck of stupidity, intel actually reclassified the rev a as gigabit only at one point as they couldn't fix it in software, but rev c. onwards (I think we were supposed to be getting a rev. d) was OK, and then we moved to i226. Could this be using an i225? Possibly, but I wouldn't have thought so, let alone an early i225 as the issue was well known and documented way before the MSI Tomahawk Z790 was a thing.

Caporegime
It's quite funny just how poor Intel ethernet adapters have become, they were the go-to choice not that long ago.

Soldato
It's quite funny just how poor Intel ethernet adapters have become, they were the go-to choice not that long ago.
It's technological ancient history now, but between the Puma issues that saw them withdraw from the market (OK, that was inherited post TI purchase), the Linux driver debacle(s) and two useless revisions of the i225 it was a rough few years. However, since i225 rev. c and i226, it's been OK. The thing is it's an acknowledged manufacturing issue, but how many users will never raise it with the seller because they simply aren't aware of the issue as they haven't got the kit to connect at 2.5Gb to anything yet? Z790 is several generations after this was a thing, and I wouldn't expect it to be affected by this

Associate
OP
THis is what i have.....so an update....All switches still dropping out but the QNAP has the least drop outs only 2-4 in a day! But i noticed when i run in 1GB full duplex mode then the drop outs stop. So ive decided to keep the QNap Switch.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="aFDJ0Rr"><a href="https://imgur.com/aFDJ0Rr">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry im useless at posting images! anyone know a simple way FFS!! why are forums so cr4p! u'd think in 2024 i can just paste the image here! jeez

Last edited:
Associate
OP
aFDJ0Rr.jpg

Associate
OP
It's technological ancient history now, but between the Puma issues that saw them withdraw from the market (OK, that was inherited post TI purchase), the Linux driver debacle(s) and two useless revisions of the i225 it was a rough few years. However, since i225 rev. c and i226, it's been OK. The thing is it's an acknowledged manufacturing issue, but how many users will never raise it with the seller because they simply aren't aware of the issue as they haven't got the kit to connect at 2.5Gb to anything yet? Z790 is several generations after this was a thing, and I wouldn't expect it to be affected by this
Do i have the crappy one?

aFDJ0Rr.jpg

Associate
Do i have the crappy one?

No it looks like you have the third revision. If you check the properties in the Details tab that will also show various REV_03 type values.

I've got a CCTV server running an i225 Rev3 (c) at 2.5GbE and it's working 24 x 7 with many cameras and any glitch would cause immediate notifications of camera loss and it runs week in week out no issues. My newest personal PC also has one despite having a motherboard that only came out Q4 last year and again its fine at 2.5GbE even during several hour long full disk image backups and verification.

Associate
OP
No it looks like you have the third revision. If you check the properties in the Details tab that will also show various REV_03 type values.

I've got a CCTV server running an i225 Rev3 (c) at 2.5GbE and it's working 24 x 7 with many cameras and any glitch would cause immediate notifications of camera loss and it runs week in week out no issues. My newest personal PC also has one despite having a motherboard that only came out Q4 last year and again its fine at 2.5GbE even during several hour long full disk image backups and verification.
Thanks for confirming that Simon. Its crazy that i have changed everything and i'm still getting these drop outs, but i dont know why. I've ordered a NICGIGA 10gb PCI card lets see what that does LOL

Associate
I didn't quite see if you posted that you did this, but did you happen to test the cat6/7 cables from your computer to the switches, etc directly (between switch and computer) and not connecting to a wall plate connection that then going that way towards the switches?

Because I've had a slightly faulty wall plate ethernet socket where if you unplug another ethernet connection that was next to it (dual gang), it would cause the network to crash that'll require manual fixing (unplugging wires and reconnecting, etc). If there's minor faults in connecting to the ethernet socket, it could possibly manifest as micro drop outs. Even though everything else might be working fine.

Associate
OP
I didn't quite see if you posted that you did this, but did you happen to test the cat6/7 cables from your computer to the switches, etc directly (between switch and computer) and not connecting to a wall plate connection that then going that way towards the switches?

Because I've had a slightly faulty wall plate ethernet socket where if you unplug another ethernet connection that was next to it (dual gang), it would cause the network to crash that'll require manual fixing (unplugging wires and reconnecting, etc). If there's minor faults in connecting to the ethernet socket, it could possibly manifest as micro drop outs. Even though everything else might be working fine.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion, this did cross my mind but then i dismissed the idea because when i run in 1gb full duplex mode the drop outs stop. The drops occur when i run in auto negotiation (which results in 2.5gb) or 2.5gb full duplex. But just to be absolutely sure i will do this and get back to everyone.

Man of Honour

Very good point, also a lot of the time they are terminated by electricians who should not be left alone with data cables.

Associate
OP
Very good point, also a lot of the time they are terminated by electricians who should not be left alone with data cables.
Funny you say that Chris, ours was actually done by the electrician :(, but its been fine for the past 4yrs :shrug:

UPDATE: I have just plugged PC directly into switch with Cat6 cable of some sort. So i will keep everyone updated. Im on 2.5gb full duplex mode. Lets see what happens!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok Update......bit worrying.....NO DROP OUTS SO FAR :confused:
:confused: The confusing part is when i was connected to my Ethernet RJ45 wall socket i dont get dropouts in 1GBps full duplex mode.....so can you have a faulty wall jack that only runs smoothly at 1gbps? like it connects in 2.5gbps full duplex mode but i just get the micro drops :confused:

Associate
Ok Update......bit worrying.....NO DROP OUTS SO FAR :confused:
:confused: The confusing part is when i was connected to my Ethernet RJ45 wall socket i dont get dropouts in 1GBps full duplex mode.....so can you have a faulty wall jack that only runs smoothly at 1gbps? like it connects in 2.5gbps full duplex mode but i just get the micro drops :confused:
This can happen for a variety of reasons:

1. Cable between plates is not rated for 1gb+
2. Cable between plates got slightly damaged during installation, not enough to not work, but enough where 1gb+ will have trouble.
3. The socket the cable connects to behind the plate was not stripped properly so contact is poor
4. The socket the cable connects to behind the plate was not punched down properly resulting in poor contact
5. The socket the cable connects to behind the plate has developed oxidiation from being fitted poorly (using scissors etc instead of a punch down tool) causing enough inteference to prevent higher speeds to being stable
6. Grounding wire was not grounded but left hanging behind plate causing interferrence

But yes, that can happen. That was why when I read through the read I noticed you didn't specifically mention testing wires only, but your first test showed you connected wires to the wallplate connection and went from there. And so asked if you went direct with a test or not.

Associate
OP
This can happen for a variety of reasons:

1. Cable between plates is not rated for 1gb+
2. Cable between plates got slightly damaged during installation, not enough to not work, but enough where 1gb+ will have trouble.
3. The socket the cable connects to behind the plate was not stripped properly so contact is poor
4. The socket the cable connects to behind the plate was not punched down properly resulting in poor contact
5. The socket the cable connects to behind the plate has developed oxidiation from being fitted poorly (using scissors etc instead of a punch down tool) causing enough inteference to prevent higher speeds to being stable
6. Grounding wire was not grounded but left hanging behind plate causing interferrence

But yes, that can happen. That was why when I read through the read I noticed you didn't specifically mention testing wires only, but your first test showed you connected wires to the wallplate connection and went from there. And so asked if you went direct with a test or not.
Thanks for the response, I am now testing the ethernet wall jack/port with my brothers PC who has an Asus Z690 mobo with 2.5GB LAN port also, the whole time during this whole process he has never had any issues with any of the switches etc... So using his PC to test if it is the wall port. IF his machine is stable....then what....i mean we did have one port on the ground floor replaced by a local network engineer, who luckily lives just 2 roads away, have saved his number for future, and he did say whoever did the wall ports has used rubbish quality ones, so i may just get him to replace both wall ports, even tho the one goin from router to switch hasnt ever been an issue, my PC Is the only machine on the entire network having issues!! :mad::mad:

Caporegime
The fact you have structured cabling is really critical information, and I can only speak for myself but when you wrote that you'd swapped all the cables I ruled out the existence of in-wall cabling.

Associate
OP
The fact you have structured cabling is really critical information, and I can only speak for myself but when you wrote that you'd swapped all the cables I ruled out the existence of in-wall cabling.
Sorry that was my bad, i should have said, every external (out of the wall) cable that is accessible, as in router to switch A, router to ONT, Switch B to both PC 1 and PC 2, Cable to wifi AP. these are all Cat 7 now. BUt yes, everything in the wall hasn't been altered. how do i post a video? or should i post it to Youtube and put the link here. that might explain the set up better.

Associate
Thanks for the response, I am now testing the ethernet wall jack/port with my brothers PC who has an Asus Z690 mobo with 2.5GB LAN port also, the whole time during this whole process he has never had any issues with any of the switches etc... So using his PC to test if it is the wall port. IF his machine is stable....then what....i mean we did have one port on the ground floor replaced by a local network engineer, who luckily lives just 2 roads away, have saved his number for future, and he did say whoever did the wall ports has used rubbish quality ones, so i may just get him to replace both wall ports, even tho the one goin from router to switch hasnt ever been an issue, my PC Is the only machine on the entire network having issues!! :mad::mad:
I'd worry about it passing (with no issues) afterwards (or later on at least). Let's first eliminate everything we can do first, you did great already with everything else, but without elimating the wall plate connection, you can swap everything and it'll be the same result, especially if it is the origin of the fault. So, keep an eye on that connection, see if it is the culprit. Let us know how it goes.

Associate
OP
I'd worry about it passing (with no issues) afterwards (or later on at least). Let's first eliminate everything we can do first, you did great already with everything else, but without elimating the wall plate connection, you can swap everything and it'll be the same result, especially if it is the origin of the fault. So, keep an eye on that connection, see if it is the culprit. Let us know how it goes.
THanks buddy, i will keep you posted.

Man of Honour
these are all Cat 7 now.
That won't make any difference, cat5e happily do 10 Gbps over the length of cable typically in house runs.

Buy yourself a krone tool and a cheap cable tester if necessary, and look at the termination behind the faceplates on the wall, two screws pops the cover off and it's fairly straight forward to re-terminate if required.

Back
Top Bottom