Samsung 990 pro 2TB

Associate
Hi All,

Just wanted to run some questions past people regarding some issues I have been running into.

I recently upgraded my system to

7800x3d
Msi x670 carbon Wi-Fi
Corsair DDR5

windows 11 pro

I also went for a 990 pro SSD this was back in August 23.

Initially everything has been fine and no problems but recently the machine has started -

Booting into bios - checking the hardware status it doesn’t pickup the 990 pro 2TB which has windows on it. Several saves and restarts resolves this, I did consider this a temperature thing potentially as the computer is located in a log cabin in the garden and temps can get low (lcd screen shows component temp at 3+ degrees in winter)

Incredibly slow booting time when compared to original install.

Windows loads and runs terribly - think PowerPoint presentation and you are in the ballpark.

These are all intermittent and do not occur constantly. Once the machine is running it’s flawless.

I had previously a 7950x cpu in it which I put in my sons computer it also did the same with that and since being in my sons computer has not done it again.

I am leaning to this being a drive problem but unsure really how to confirm without replacing it. Samsung magician says it’s “fine” but the behaviour suggests otherwise.

Anyone had any issues with their own 990’s

Soldato
Which slot is the drive installed in, as it could be the M.2 slot. Have you tried the drive in another slot?

Can you also post a screenshot from CrystalDiskInfo, ensuring the drive is selected. This will also tell you the health status of the drive.

Also is your motherboard the MSI MPG X670E CARBON WIFI? I ask as this is the first one that shows when Googling the make and model number that you posted.

What BIOS version are you currently running and when did you last update it? I ask as sometimes BIOS updates can provide better support for some drives. If your motherboard is the one I linked to above, then the latest BIOS version is 7D70v1E1 (Beta) and was released on 05/01/2024.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Which slot is the drive installed in, as it could be the M.2 slot. Have you tried the drive in another slot?

Can you also post a screenshot from CrystalDiskInfo, ensuring the drive is selected. This will also tell you the health status of the drive.

Also is your motherboard the MSI MPG X670E CARBON WIFI? I ask as this is the first one that shows when Googling the make and model number that you posted.

What BIOS version are you currently running and when did you last update it? I ask as sometimes BIOS updates can provide better support for some drives. If your motherboard is the one I linked to above, then the latest BIOS version is 7D70v1E1 (Beta) and was released on 05/01/2024.

That is indeed my MB, my bios is not the latest version it appears so I can update that today at some point.

my build was from August 2023, which I remember doing as that was the support for the X3D chips.

In terms of slot, I believe I have it in the top slot I could indeed move this around. I was already considering a PCIE5 Drive as the MB supports it this could then move the 2TB drive down. (Maybe this is my minds way of justifying getting one!)

Image from Crystal Disk below -

LVRjVHw.png

Thanks for the response.

Soldato
That is indeed my MB, my bios is not the latest version it appears so I can update that today at some point.

my build was from August 2023, which I remember doing as that was the support for the X3D chips.

In terms of slot, I believe I have it in the top slot I could indeed move this around. I was already considering a PCIE5 Drive as the MB supports it this could then move the 2TB drive down. (Maybe this is my minds way of justifying getting one!)

Image from Crystal Disk below -

LVRjVHw.png

Thanks for the response.
That drive looks perfectly fit to me and it's also connected at the maximum speed supported by both the drive and motherboard - whereas I have an older motherboard and have to make-do with poverty PCIe 3.0 speeds. :D

The only thing I would question now is what is loading up during Windows startup. You could spend ages trying to find the cause, or you could go nuclear and do a clean reinstall of Windows. If you don't have too much installed and can spare the time, I'd be tempted to go nuclear, but it's up to you.

Associate
OP
That drive looks perfectly fit to me and it's also connected at the maximum speed supported by both the drive and motherboard - whereas I have an older motherboard and have to make-do with poverty PCIe 3.0 speeds. :D

The only thing I would question now is what is loading up during Windows startup. You could spend ages trying to find the cause, or you could go nuclear and do a clean reinstall of Windows. If you don't have too much installed and can spare the time, I'd be tempted to go nuclear, but it's up to you.
Thank you.

I do think that is my last option, I can do the full windows install and swap the drives around so the 1tb is only using windows and apps.

Then this 2TB one can host the games etc

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

While doing this I can update all the firmware on the MB and check all connections for components.

Man of Honour
Windows loads and runs terribly - think PowerPoint presentation and you are in the ballpark.

These are all intermittent and do not occur constantly. Once the machine is running it’s flawless.
On the slow load runs, have you been able to load event viewer or a hardware monitor like hwinfo (or even task manager)?

Associate
OP
On the slow load runs, have you been able to load event viewer or a hardware monitor like hwinfo (or even task manager)?
So there is two types of slow loads -

1. Is the PowerPoint presentation type load and in this instance no I cannot load anything or really do anything my only options are either attempting to restart via the menu or unfortunately physically holding the power button.

2. On a slow boot which takes 30+ seconds once I’m in windows all runs fine and as it should I will look into event viewer and hwinfo the next time it happens.

Associate
if your on win 11 why not give fresh start a go. It will do a fresh install of windows without losing your files, maybe worth a punt. if you dont know where to find it look in settings, windows security and then device performance and health.

Associate
OP
if your on win 11 why not give fresh start a go. It will do a fresh install of windows without losing your files, maybe worth a punt. if you dont know where to find it look in settings, windows security and then device performance and health.
I think this is my next step tbh, I will do this next weekend as I won’t get a chance to do it during the week.

Man of Honour
Is Windows running the TRIM commands to the drive properly? It's usually a set schedule to run weekly but if you've migrated over from an old drive to this via cloning etc then sometimes both Optimise SSD and Restore Point creation are turned off or need disabling/re-enabling.

Check Optimise by Start > Optimise and run Defrag/Optimise drives. The settings should allow you to check its schedule etc.

Also a screenshot of your Startup tab in Task Manager would be good, it shows the number of stuff loading at startup and the most recent full BIOS boot time.

Back
Top Bottom