Samsung 990 pro 2TB

Soldato
If somebody asked me which brand SSD do I trust, I would say Samsung. And that's after having one dying on me without any warning whatsoever.

I would say that Sabrent are second best, but I don't get a good feeling from them. Maybe that's just because they aren't as well established as Samsung are.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I haven't yet had a Samsung die on me or cause data loss, but they've not exactly had the smoothest road with firmware updates needed to resolve serious issues on almost all the drives I've had except the 970 Pros.

While Kingston has had some controversies with some models I've had an issue free experience with them and SK Hynix so far.

Man of Honour
It WAS the case. That's why I sent my 990 Pro back when it was released. Not the first time it's happened with Samsung drives.
Yes it was the case, my 990 Pro 2TB I bought first went viral on tech sites around the net when I first reported the SMART health reducing every few days issue and then everyone else got onboard. But that's done and dusted for a while now and all's back to normal after the firmware update. The issue stemmed from a bad firmware on the drives at launch.

Currently have a 2TB 990 Pro and an 8TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus as well as an 8TB Samsung SATA SSD and all are perfect with long power on hours counts with very low poer cycle counts (machine is never turned off short of doing Windows Updates.

Soldato
Initially everything has been fine and no problems but recently the machine has started -

Booting into bios - checking the hardware status it doesn’t pickup the 990 pro 2TB which has windows on it. Several saves and restarts resolves this, I did consider this a temperature thing potentially as the computer is located in a log cabin in the garden and temps can get low (lcd screen shows component temp at 3+ degrees in winter)

Anyone had any issues with their own 990’s

Yup!! Same here. I bought my bro two 990 drives for Xmas. The 1TB for OS and 2TB for Games. He used the 1TB drive about 2 weeks ago, fresh windows install, etc and he had been using it fine. A few days ago he was just rebooting and the PC failed to detect the M.2 afterwards. Not detected in BIOS. He took the drive out and put it in an M.2 enclosure. Thankfully he still had his old M.2, stuck that back in, and booted up. Connected the USB enclosure and disk management just went crazy. Constant connects/disconnects. When it did settle the drive was not initialised. When that was tried it prompted with a horrible hardware error message box. I took the drive and tried the drive in my machine - same thing. It's currently on it's way back to the etailor for an RMA. I hope he has more luck with the 2TB drive.

Soldato
Personally, I have had nothing but good experiences with Samsung SSDs.

I have been buying them for many years.

My last purchases, back in 2017, were:

(1) NVME SSD (OS Drive): Samsung 960 EVO PCIe NVMe 250GB [MZ-V6E250BW]
(2) SATA SSD (Some small-scale additional "fast storage"): Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB [MZ-76E1T0B/EU]

They have run flawlessly for 6 years.

I am currently undertaking a build with 2 x brand-new Samsung 990 PRO 4TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVME drives [MZ-V9P4T0BW].

I don't forsee any problems.

However, given some of the prior posts, I might request that the system builder implements the latest firmware for them.
I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the drives are relatively new. The first firmware problem was found last year and when I got my drive a few months later, it had the revised firmware on it. Yes there's been another firmware update since then, but it's nothing at all to be concerned about.

Man of Honour
I've had a couple of issues with one of my 1TB 990 Pros when in high power mode - about 1 time in 5 when I start up I'd get coil whine from the vicinity of the drive and poor performance and in a couple of cases I could browse the folder structure (probably cached by Windows) but trying to read or write to a file would cause a controller error to pop up - not had it so far without high power mode.

Associate
OP
As an update it’s progressively getting worse unfortunately.

All stats, tests and checks say there shouldn’t be a problem however it’s very apparent there is.

After exchanges with MSI and AMD and I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread there is a known issue between Samsung and AMD which is awaiting various updates. There is a large thread about it on the MSI pages with issues similar to mine and others worse.

For the sake of my sanity I will order some new SSD’s and let the 990’s go onto eBay to claw some £ back.

Thanks to everyone here appreciate all the input and help.

Associate
OP
As a bit of closure and just incase anyone has similar problems

I replaced the 990 with a PCIe 5 Corsair SSD and all my problems and issues have gone.

Not a single boot to bios, crash etc.

So looks like problem solved just a shame it’s at the cost of the 990!

Back
Top Bottom