Should assisted suicide be legal (for everyone)?

Associate
Yes it should be. Lost my mom to cancer earlier this year. Prior to going into st lukes for the last 2 weeks of her life it was awful for her been at home going through it all, the last time I saw her she was hallucinating and nearly kept stopping breathing whilst asleep / passing out she would wake up after not breathing for maybe 30-40seconds crying saying help me. She shouldn't have had to go through 3 weeks of hell.

Caporegime
Yes, since drugs should be legalised that would also automatically make barbiturates available without a doctor largely obviating the need for assisted suicide.

Soldato
I see this issue is back in the news.

I think there should be a system of checks put in place to allow someone of sound mind to have assisted suicide. We already have a sort of system with the DNR forms.

Maybe there can be a multi stage solution were you decide at stage 1 then have to confirm the decision again later on.

Soldato
Of course it should be legal, even with modern drugs it seems that some pains cannot be eased, we don't allow our pets to suffer

Yeah I never understood this.

In that respect we treat animals better than humans.

The legal side is a nightmare though, assisted suicide, well thats your life insurance void etc etc etc........

Caporegime
Still of the opinion I'd like it in place.

There are a host of scenarios I can imagine where I'd want it. And having to get yourself to Switzerland or something would likely be impossible at the point you need/want it.

Soldato
Answer is still yes. Ideally it should be available for any reason but I imagine it will start only for terminal illnesses.

MPs won't vote it through though despite the majority of the country wanting it. There should be a referendum really.

Soldato
The legal side is a nightmare though, assisted suicide, well thats your life insurance void etc etc etc........

This would have to depend on why I think - if it was to avoid an extended period of suffering before dying of an untreatable terminal disease, then I don't see how why it should make a difference?

Soldato
Not sure why Rantzen hasn't been castigated for her flippant comments - if you listen to the 'interview' - buzz across to dignity
seems to be appropriating the issue as hers, without illness at the level of many unfortunate others,

practically obviously very well off for any care she might need, similar to other celebrities who have raised their mental health -
celebrities who have made all the tv programmes about their travels around the world and want to remain in limelight

Associate
Yeah I never understood this.

In that respect we treat animals better than humans.

Yes should be legal but I agree I can‘t see it happening due to the legal nightmare it would open

Soldato
Yes it should be legal,

Just recently my neighbour died of a brain tumor and the gave him as much pain killers as they are allowed to.

He was still in total agony, when visitors arrived he told them to leave after two minutes.

Soldato
I can understand why some people might feel that assisted dying is immoral or goes against the rules of their faith.

But that SHOULD NOT allow them to control access to a chosen death to people that want it.

My mother died of cancer, my father at the end of a debilitating illness. Both wanted to be able to control their death, neither was able to.

It's simple - If I want to end my life by taking drugs that simply send me to sleep then you have no right to stop me just because you would make a different decision.

Yes safeguards need to be in place, but the principle is simple.

Associate
Absolutely. I think anyone who has had to watch a loved one decline, would believe there has to be the option for them of another way out, to avoid the pain, humiliation, and distress.

The challenge is to develop a system which is entirely down to the choice of the afflicted individual, and cannot be abused or misused to others benefit.

That is the challenge, to develop the legal framework, and system, controls to prevent misuse.

This is a deeply personal choice, and every individual should have the right to decide. It is totally wrong that anyone else's beliefs or opinions should intrude on this personal decision, and the facility should be there to make it, with the right checks and safeguards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom