Sycamore Gap tree at Hadrian's Wall 'felled overnight'

Associate
Amazing how a single felled tree and a narcotic taking man deliberately employed for his contentious opinions by a TV station known for promoting their contentious views across the board, and by his making some of them known to some dreadful bimbo has made such deep inroads into the recent national news.

There must be some other stuff happening, but I have no doubt missed it in the midst of this doubtlessly very warranted hiatus ;)

I assume peace and tranquillity are reigning across the UK otherwise? <LOL>
**** me, you really are boring aren't you? :p

Soldato
Find whomever it was that felled the tree, tie them to the stump, keep them fed and watered and let the new shoots grow through their body like an English version of bamboo torture. It's a win/win, the tree gets nutrients and the gene pool gets cleansed.

Lol

Hyperbole much?

I know, slight exaggeration, but it's true. The 16 y/o (and the newly arrested guy in his 60s) will get away scot free, because apparently felling a 300 y/o tree isn't a serious enough crime. After all, the police are too busy with more 'serious' crimes such as calling out people who inadvertently mis-gender others and drivers doing 22mph in 20mph zones in Wales.

Caporegime
I know, slight exaggeration, but it's true. The 16 y/o (and the newly arrested guy in his 60s) will get away scot free, because apparently felling a 300 y/o tree isn't a serious enough crime. After all, the police are too busy with more 'serious' crimes such as calling out people who inadvertently mis-gender others and drivers doing 22mph in 20mph zones in Wales.
Well that's the governments fault isn't it?

Can't very well pretend there's smoke without setting a few fires.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a yougov survey to know what percerntage of the population had heard of the tree prior to this week - general sherman is more well known ?
or, hadn't realised it was not a myth, General Oak, where robin shot the arrow
truth is whilst apparently I have visited the tree on a school trip back when I was an early tween I can't say I really remembered it. My wife however was well acquainted with it along with a few people at work. the tree IS pretty iconic apparently and is well recognised by people who are interested in our heritage and what not.

look I get it ... it's just a tree and worse crimes do happen every day, and in a way it would seem totally unbalanced to spend more police time on this than on all of the other thousands of crimes that occur weekly which the police are either uninterested in or underfunded such that they can't investigate properly.
OTOH people SHOULD know there is a deterrent for doing criminal damage , throw the book at some and perhaps it will deter others.
I hope they find who did it and they get a punishment which makes them regret it. what will annoy me isn't that.... it is when 2 weeks later someone else gets their stuff vandalised and the police give them a crime number and don't even bother to show up .
the copper got really shirty with me when I told him (or her I can't remember now) that it was no wonder people felt the need to take the law into their hands and deal with these scrotes themselves when the law are this disinterested and next time if I saw them touching my stuff I may be tempted to introduce them to a cricket bat.

yes I was mouthing off and didn't really mean it but I totally get why some would react like that.

Man of Honour
I think similar views will have already been expressed in this thread but I have two thoughts about this tree felling…

My immediate thought is that it’s totally senseless and deplorable, so I’m with everyone else on being disappointed about it.

My second thought is the general reaction says a lot about us as a society. It’s a beautiful tree in a pretty place but ultimately, it’s just a tree. Yet it’s easier to get upset about that than all the other terrible suffering that goes amongst us when humans are placed into imperfect situations (overseas war, migrants dying just for a chance to have what we have by birthright, people with addictions… and so on).

It’s probably something to do with this tree being more relatable than other things. Everyone likes a nice harmless tree, whereas maybe it’s the case that really awful things can’t be easily emotionally recognised unless they are right in front of your nose.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think similar views will have already been expressed in this thread but I have two thoughts about this tree felling…

My immediate thought is that it’s totally senseless and deplorable, so I’m with everyone else on being disappointed about it.

My second thought is the general reaction says a lot about us as a society. It’s a beautiful tree in a pretty place but ultimately, it’s just a tree. Yet it’s easier to get upset about that than all the other terrible suffering that goes amongst us when humans are placed into imperfect situations (overseas war, migrants dying just for a chance to have what we have by birthright, people with addictions… and so on).

It’s probably something to do with this tree being more relatable than other things. Everyone likes a nice harmless tree, whereas maybe it’s the case really awful things can’t easily emotionally recognised unless they are right in front of your nose.

It is just too wearing to get upset about the world and it's shortcomings. Much easier to hang it on a tree

Caporegime
I have a solution. Hear me out.

Picture1.png

Caporegime
Proof that absolutely nothing is safe from whataboutery.

Back
Top Bottom