• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The AMD RDNA 4 Rumour Mill ***

Soldato
Neither did I mate. I never paid 4 figure sums for a GPU. But you know it is what it is.

What makes me laugh as you know is people making it sound like AMD are providing a good deal. They are not. If Nvidia have terrible prices, AMD have bad prices at best. To go from terrible to good AMD would need to have MUCH better prices imo.
A good deal no chance, Amd provides a better deal in a ***** market.

Caporegime
The big issue is the performance difference(and VRAM differences) are enough to push the AMD cards one level up(bascially Nvidia cards will have to use upscaling more often). Even with RT,I was looking at your post:

Even if you take an average of RT titles,the equivalently priced sub £500 AMD cards are generally competitive in the entry level and mainstream markets.

WRT the prices,AMD cards are usually on offer far more often or part of promotions(including cashback). This also doesn't include US/EU imports where the AMD card prices are even cheaper than the UK.

The Nvidia cards rarely get reduced. This has been the case since 2022. Some of the prices were even better last year. You could get an RX6650XT for just over £200 when an RTX3060 12GB was £300(and the RX6700XT was the same price).

Now with another 10% price rise that will push the RTX4060 8GB above £300. That means the RTX5060 will probably cost even more and so will RDNA4! :(

Only problem with that computerbase comparison, is they use upscaling for some games and not all, that and the fact you can use lower presets of dlss and get better IQ than FSR quality preset is something many overlook

Last edited:
Soldato
Only problem with that computerbase comparison, is they use upscaling for some games and now all, that and the fact you can use lower presets of dlss and get better IQ than FSR quality preset is something many overlook

I have an RTX3060TI and mates with plenty of AMD cards,so can get a rough realworld view of performance. The reality none of these cards are RT powerhouses,even with upscaling. Upscaling and FG also increase VRAM usage. Also at least in the RTX3060TI vs RX6700XT comparison they were similar classes of hardware,and VRAM was less of an issue. It was more clear cut.

This generation the Nvidia upsold too much and this is also ignoring the PCI-E 8X limitation on the RTX4060 too and limited VRAM. AMD simply is throwing more hardware at the problem. For me,no way is an RTX4060 8GB worth £300+ which is what the RRP if the 10% price rise happens.

Caporegime
I have an RTX3060TI and mates with plenty of AMD cards,so can get a rough realworld view of performance. The reality none of these cards are RT powerhouses,even with upscaling. Upscaling and FG also increase VRAM usage. Also at least in the RTX3060TI vs RX6700XT comparison they were similar classes of hardware,and VRAM was less of an issue. It was more clear cut.

This generation the Nvidia upsold too much and this is also ignoring the PCI-E 8X limitation on the RTX4060 too and limited VRAM. AMD simply is throwing more hardware at the problem. For me,no way is an RTX4060 8GB worth £300+ which is what the RRP if the 10% price rise happens.

No but upscaling allows you to achieve fps that wouldn't be possible without making substantial sacrifices to graphical settings and this isn't even for just rt settings, there are plenty of games that run poor regardless of rt and not even having more vram will save the gpus here.

Upscaling doesn't increase vram usage, it reduces it. Frame generation does add to vram though.

Personally if I was on a budget and looking at <£400 market, I would be looking second hand for top end ampere, 7800xt/7900xt or 4070 super/ti

Soldato
No but upscaling allows you to achieve fps that wouldn't be possible without making substantial sacrifices to graphical settings and this isn't even for just rt settings, there are plenty of games that run poor regardless of rt and not even having more vram will save the gpus here.

Upscaling doesn't increase vram usage, it reduces it. Frame generation does add to vram though.

Personally if I was on a budget and looking at <£400 market, I would be looking second hand for top end ampere, 7800xt/7900xt or 4070 super/ti

That is all great,but people want warranties and secondhand prices have risen on Nvidia hardware too. The supply is also not brilliant as it's clear people are holding onto newer cards. The reality is I know plenty of people with these classes of hardware and I am one of them. So ultimately if AMD even last year was offering nearly 40% to 50% more performance than several Nvidia cards(RX6650XT vs RTX3050 and RX6700XT vs RTX3060),there is no real reason to consider the Nvidia cards. Its been the case for almost two years in the UK.

AMD did a minimal effort too - the prices of the RDNA2 cards are probably what they should have been at launch IMHO.

Also I know people like me who got the RTX3060TI FE,and frankly think the RTX4060/RTX4060TI are a literal ****-take. As much as I dislike what AMD is doing with their own rebranding,how the heck can you have less VRAM in the RTX4060 than the RTX3060? Then cut the PCI-E bus down to 8X and now want to charge over £300 for it. Then cut down the RTX3050 to 6GB and try to pass it off as the same model?

So basically they are increasing prices even more than AMD,when the parts were not competitive.

I have no hope Blackwell mainstream parts will be any good because Nvidia will probably rebrand the GT1030 replacement to over £300 - I hope I am wrong. That means AMD and Intel will have to do "less" to look better,which means probably another useless improvement too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That is all great,but people want warranties and secondhand prices have risen on Nvidia hardware too. The supply is also not brilliant as it's clear people are holding onto newer cards. The reality is I know plenty of people with these classes of hardware and I am one of them. So ultimately if AMD even last year was offering nearly 40% to 50% more performance than several Nvidia cards(RX6650XT vs RTX3050 and RX6700XT vs RTX3060),there is no real reason to consider the Nvidia cards. Its been the case for almost two years in the UK.

Also I know people like me who got the RTX3060TI FE,and frankly think the RTX4060/RTX4060TI are a literal ****-take. As much as I dislike what AMD is doing with their own rebranding,how the heck can you have less VRAM in the RTX4060 than the RTX3060? Then cut the PCI-E bus down to 8X and now want to charge over £300 for it. Then cut down the RTX3050 to 6GB and try to pass it off as the same model?

Way I would look at this then is to save up for a bit longer to buy the better gpu as it will age a lot better than the lower end gpus. I've always generally got mid end gpus and very rarely gone high end i.e. I think high end wise, the only ones I've owned were the 8800, 290, vega 56 (well prob more mid end but it was very close to the vega 64 when OC) and now the 3080 and these have lasted far longer than any of my low-mid end gpus.

Do agree though, I wouldn't be buying a 8gb gpu in 2024 at £400+, it was fine when buying 3+ years ago but not now going forward unless you game at 1080P

Soldato
Way I would look at this then is to save up for a bit longer to buy the better gpu as it will age a lot better than the lower end gpus. I've always generally got mid end gpus and very rarely gone high end i.e. I think high end wise, the only ones I've owned were the 8800, 290, vega 56 (well prob more mid end but it was very close to the vega 64 when OC) and now the 3080 and these have lasted far longer than any of my low-mid end gpus.

Do agree though, I wouldn't be buying a 8gb gpu in 2024 at £400+, it was fine when buying 3+ years ago but not now going forward unless you game at 1080P

My main issue is even if I put £600 towards my next card,will we have essentially an RTX5060 or RX8700 for the price? Cards which should have been £350ish only a few years ago? This is my big issue with the high end being jacked up in pricing by BOTH companies. It's a form of shrinkflation.

Caporegime
My main issue is even if I put £600 towards my next card,will we have essentially an RTX5060 or RX8700 for the price? Cards which should have been £350ish only a few years ago? This is my big issue with the high end being jacked up in pricing by BOTH companies. It's a form of shrinkflation.

Sadly it isn't going to change though as not enough people are voting with their wallets. I think if people don't want to spend more than £400-500, they'll just have to accept turning down settings for the advantages of pc gaming or if they don't care for having a pc to game on and just want to play games, get a console (only reason I don't go console is because of lack of RT and still not being able to achieve a locked 60 fps [ideally would want 80/90 fps now in every game at a decent/usable res.). Inflation is always going to happen so those days of getting likes of xx80 class of gpus for =<650 are long gone

Last edited:
Soldato
Sadly it isn't going to change though as not enough people are voting with their wallets. I think if people don't want to spend more than £400-500, they'll just have to accept turning down settings for the advantages of pc gaming or if they don't care for having a pc to game on and just want to play games, get a console. Inflation is always going to happen so those days of getting likes of xx80 class of gpus for =<650 are long gone

I don't think this level of inflation is normal,because it's not affecting other PC parts I buy or other hobbies. It does make me wonder whether we might hear some things in a few years WRT to this. Either way luckily I play a mix of old and new games,so as long as my card works I can just wait for a deal to pop up.

Associate
I don't think this level of inflation is normal,because it's not affecting other PC parts I buy or other hobbies. It does make me wonder whether we might hear some things in a few years WRT to this. Either way luckily I play a mix of old and new games,so as long as my card works I can just wait for a deal to pop up.
Gaming GPUs are competing for wafer allocation with CPUs and AI hardware which means they're squeezed against higher margin products.
Prices will stay high until AI deflates or there is going to be overcapacity for high density nodes, which is not very likely sadly...

Caporegime
they'll just have to accept turning down settings
Console settings

image.png

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Yep. That's what I did with my 4070 Ti as you very well know. What a card. I can play HFW at 120W on one of my undervolted profiles which is only slightly less performance than default.

Was it you who said you did not like that the card was 2 fans only? I could run this card on a single fan :cry:

Soldato
Yep. That's what I did with my 4070 Ti as you very well know. What a card. I can play HFW at 120W on one of my undervolted profiles which is only slightly less performance than default.

Was it you who said you did not like that the card was 2 fans only? I could run this card on a single fan :cry:

I don't think I talked about any fans - I prefer compact cards because of my case.

Soldato
Ah ok. Someone was talking about not going for it because they did not like the fans or the look of the card or something. Thought it was you. Lol
There was a discussion about that RTX4070 Super with the mediocre cooler on it,against the cheap RX7800XT with a very good cooler on it.

I don't care how the card looks - it's going in a case with no windows. If the RTX4070 had been a £399.99 card at launch,I might have bought one. But alas,it wasn't and now I might as well wait.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There was a discussion about that RTX4070 Super with the mediocre cooler on it,against the cheap RX7800XT with a very good cooler on it.

I don't care how the card looks - it's going in a case with no windows. If the RTX4070 had been a £399.99 card at launch,I might have bought one. But alas,it wasn't and now I might as well wait.

Yep. Pointless buying now.

Question is, are you saving more money in the mean time or are you sticking to the same budget?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom