• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Intel Arc owners thread

Soldato
Club386 have an article on the Battlemage rumours. They - correctly IMHO - say that Intel need to hurry and there are two events coming up, Intel Vision and Computex, which would make ideal launch venues.

Battlemage could be promising, I am genuinely surprised how good the A770 is. Would be great to have a serious alternative to Nvidia and AMD at the high end.

Soldato
OP
Would be great to have a serious alternative to Nvidia and AMD at the high end.

I think that you're going to have to wait a generation or two for that. Even if Battlemage tops out at RTX 4080 levels (remember, the A770 can equal the RTX 4060) it's still way short of the 4090 and Nvidia have the 50 series to come.

I've said it before but I refer people to Ryzen when they expect immediate results from Arc: the first generation Ryzen CPUs were interesting and for the enthusiast, the second generation was much better, the third generation stood up on its own, and the next two generations have dominated. Only time will tell if we see that from Intel.

There's something else that caught my eye: Snapdragon CPUs are starting to better Intel CPUs in the mobile spaces - including laptops - and Windows now runs on Arm. Apple switched CPUs several times; Microsoft can do the same. Losing the laptop market would hit Intel hard and they will need another revenue stream to replace it: Arc is an obvious choice.

Soldato
I think that you're going to have to wait a generation or two for that. Even if Battlemage tops out at RTX 4080 levels (remember, the A770 can equal the RTX 4060) it's still way short of the 4090 and Nvidia have the 50 series to come.

I've said it before but I refer people to Ryzen when they expect immediate results from Arc: the first generation Ryzen CPUs were interesting and for the enthusiast, the second generation was much better, the third generation stood up on its own, and the next two generations have dominated. Only time will tell if we see that from Intel.

There's something else that caught my eye: Snapdragon CPUs are starting to better Intel CPUs in the mobile spaces - including laptops - and Windows now runs on Arm. Apple switched CPUs several times; Microsoft can do the same. Losing the laptop market would hit Intel hard and they will need another revenue stream to replace it: Arc is an obvious choice.

I think with the driver updates the A770 can reach 4060 Ti levels but worse in some still. RTX 4080 is really high end imo, that would be a great level of performance for Intel if they can achieve that with Battlemage. I mean they are still new in the game. Interesting having a third player.

Soldato
OP
I think with the driver updates the A770 can reach 4060 Ti levels but worse in some still. RTX 4080 is really high end imo, that would be a great level of performance for Intel if they can achieve that with Battlemage. I mean they are still new in the game. Interesting having a third player.

Agreed, and Battlemage needs to be a significant improvement on Alchemist. So I hope they get near RTX 4080 with their flagship card for a substantially reduced price. One that will anticipate Nvidia reducing theirs.

Caporegime
Something tells me there aren't going to be any Battlemage RTX 4080.

There is a rumour that Nvidia have handed the midrange to AMD as Nvidia don't want to service that sector anymore, basically the £300 to £500 range.
AMD don't want to service the low end anymore, the £100 to £300 range, AMD's next line of APU's have very powerful integrated graphics and think those products cater that segment for them.

Intel don't want another Alchemist, in the sense that the thing is on TSMC 6nm and larger than GA 104 on Samsung 8nm and performing around the same as the 276mm GA 106, you better believe Intel lost a chunk of cash on every one they sold.

Intel are not Nvidia, or AMD, Intel are not about to become Nvidia, or AMD, to think they can suddenly knock out a 4080 for what? £600 and turn a profit? If they can yet make such a thing at all, the bigger and faster they get the more complex they get to R&D, its why AMD are giving up trying to keep up with Nvidia at the top end, there is no return in it for them, they are yielding the high end to Nvidia.

I think Battlemage with make up the space AMD no longer has any interest in, the £100 to £300 segment, and would you know it the two Battlemage GPU's leaked are low end, i know they may yet have some optimisation to go, ecte.... but the fastest one is even a little slower than the A770.
Small, uncomplicated and perhaps even profitable.

Don't buy in to Intel's big grin talk, they do that for 3% incremental increases.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you want the best comparison the A770 is near 2X the size of the RX 6750 XT, and slower, on the same TSMC 6nm, the latter even has a 192Bit Bus, vs 256Bit on the A770.

GPU's are the hardest thing to design, and Intel can't keep up with AMD on CPU's/.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm honestly shocked that people are expecting Battlemage to be anywhere near a 4080, given we know from the leaked roadmap that Intel are targeting a <225W TDP. Unless they've somehow absolutely annihilated Nvidia on the perf/watt front, 4080 performance is completely off the table based on that alone. Matching the 4070 would be a win for Intel in my opinion, and if they can creep towards the Super or Ti then all the better. I think anyone expecting a 4080 for half the price is setting themself up for an all-time great disappointment.

Soldato
I'm honestly shocked that people are expecting Battlemage to be anywhere near a 4080, given we know from the leaked roadmap that Intel are targeting a <225W TDP. Unless they've somehow absolutely annihilated Nvidia on the perf/watt front, 4080 performance is completely off the table based on that alone. Matching the 4070 would be a win for Intel in my opinion, and if they can creep towards the Super or Ti then all the better. I think anyone expecting a 4080 for half the price is setting themself up for an all-time great disappointment.

Not expecting, just speculating. RTX 4080 performance would be a great achievement from Intel, they are new in the game. A770 is a decent enough mid-range card, with a new generation and more driver improvement, be interesting to see what they can achieve.

Soldato
Complete re-install of StarField got it working but performance in the same scene was all over the place, even switching between settings used previously.

I knew 3440x1440 was going to be too much but switching to XeSS Ultra quality gave higher performance than quality or balanced... right up until it didn't... (w t f?). FSR3 performed better but had noticeable ghosting on my characters hair.

Oh and Xbox app on PC also took over an hour to sync my cloud save again.... after downloading the game at ~ 90MB/s....

Overall not a great experience but I recall ARC has always had issues with StarField (well the game itself doesn't perform anywhere near as well as it should). Going to be testing it on my 3080M equipped Zephyrus as that is roughly around a 3060Ti - 3070 Desktop card.

Next up will be Diablo 4 now that BattleNet is not being a complete spanner and actually updating the game....

Soldato
What is all this Intel love about there Gpu's are terrible if you look at the competition. Unless they make a big break through they are not even mid tier with there best card. Seems to me if you remove there upscaling it's a terrible start. To be even come close to the other two they need many years. Intel probably know this hence the battlemage name as it's all fantasy for now. Hope i am wrong as a third player would be nice but Intel are not known for there consumer happy prices. As a PC gamer Intel are not recuing us we are all shafted and need to accept it's not where you want to play if you are limited by budget. Broke my own rule by spending over £500 on my current card and most likely gonna spend more again when forced to upgrade again. Like Nvidia are handicapped to try the Cpu world with Tegra, i think Intel are similar. If you want to be a PC gamer and play AAA just get the wallet out as Jensen and Lisa are coming in without the loob.

In the UK we can only hope the pound makes a great recovery.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What is all this Intel love about there Gpu's are terrible if you look at the competition.

Really? Intel’s GPUs are far from perfect but they’re pretty damn good. They’re a first generation product with all the issues involved, but so was Ryzen and look where that is today.

Soldato
The attitude of the post, seems too over the top.
I'd have to assume the opinions came from Youtube reviews, rather than using one. Or maybe they did use one, on something that didn't support rebar. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Really? Intel’s GPUs are far from perfect but they’re pretty damn good. They’re a first generation product with all the issues involved, but so was Ryzen and look where that is today.
Ryzen might not have matched Intel but at least it could be considered close to top tier. What Intel brought was an overpriced low/mid tier card. Lets not be comparing Ryzen to an A770 as it was clear to see where Ryzen could go. I don't think Intel can get any where close. Sure there RT ain't to bad and there upscaling is decent but they are still leagues behind in every other way. They ain't gonna be a saviour any time soon and if they do get to the top welcome to Nvidia version two. They currently have 1% of the market discrete wise so nobody is that confident and they shouldn't be until they bring something good to the market. I just don't get the hype hahaha.

Soldato
The attitude of the post, seems too over the top.
I'd have to assume the opinions came from Youtube reviews, rather than using one. Or maybe they did use one, on something that didn't support rebar. :D
The A770 is using 10 more watt's than a 6800 yet is no where close on performance. Intel won't really be relative for a while unless they make a major break through. It's going to be tough and i am not seeing them saving anybody or just changing the landscape. Really do hope i am wrong but i can't see it. If they can't beat AMD out in the CPU world what makes you think they are coming into the discrete Gpu world and doing anything against AMD and never mind Nvidia just hard to see for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I paid a lot less for my A770 than I could have picked up a 6800 for.
There are constant driver improvements (as there should be), and there will definitely be a lot of lessons learned. One of the greatest things, is that Raja Koduri will not be hampering development of future products. :D

The absolute doom-and-gloom about Intel's first discrete offerings in a long time is mildly hilarious. I'm not sure what people really expected when it launched. 3090 beating performance, with immediate low prices and a huge percentage marketshare in a few months? They were never going to knock it out of the park on the first try. The performance from Arc improves all the time, and it's good to have a third player in the market.

Soldato
OP
Ryzen might not have matched Intel but at least it could be considered close to top tier.

Umm.. no. Not in reliability or compatibility, anyway. Those came with the second generation. Performance came with the third generation.

The absolute doom-and-gloom about Intel's first discrete offerings in a long time is mildly hilarious. I'm not sure what people really expected when it launched. 3090 beating performance, with immediate low prices and a huge percentage marketshare in a few months?

Agreed. The A770 stands toe to toe with the RTX 3060 and sometimes the 4060.

Soldato
The absolute doom-and-gloom about Intel's first discrete offerings in a long time is mildly hilarious. I'm not sure what people really expected when it launched. 3090 beating performance, with immediate low prices and a huge percentage marketshare in a few months? They were never going to knock it out of the park on the first try. The performance from Arc improves all the time, and it's good to have a third player in the market.

Totally agree.

Caporegime
There are constant driver improvements (as there should be), and there will definitely be a lot of lessons learned. One of the greatest things, is that Raja Koduri will not be hampering development of future products. :D

They'll be overtaking AMD sooner than later imo. Impressive what they have done with their first dgpu especially with RT and upscaling.

Soldato

I was surprised to see Nvidia's Tom Petersen now works for Intel.

Back
Top Bottom