• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Intel Arc owners thread

Associate
Hoping that drivers keep improving on Linux. Apparently it's far from the best experience with these cards right now.
Maybe when the next gen release it will be a viable option.

Soldato
Hoping that drivers keep improving on Linux. Apparently it's far from the best experience with these cards right now.
Maybe when the next gen release it will be a viable option.

When it comes to Linux I stick with AMD. They work out of the box no need to faff about with drivers.

I heard that Red Hat are working on new drivers for Nvidia to replace Nouveau but that could be a while yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
They'll be overtaking AMD sooner than later imo. Impressive what they have done with their first dgpu especially with RT and upscaling.
It's not they have been involved with Graphics for a long time and there first attempt at discreet is no where close. 230w for a turd ain't impressive. What you seem to be more impressed with is there software but the card is not great at all. It sold just about as bad as it is compared to the competition.

Caporegime
It's not they have been involved with Graphics for a long time and there first attempt at discreet is no where close. 230w for a turd ain't impressive. What you seem to be more impressed with is there software but the card is not great at all. It sold just about as bad as it is compared to the competition.

Power consumption and efficiency matters again then? ;) :cry: :D

Intel have a similar approach to nvidia for RT grunt/perf too, which is why they demolish amd here so no it's not just software. Of course their current version isn't good hence why I and many others haven't touched it, it has arguably been an alpha/beta product, doesn't change the fact that they have addressed many flaws very quickly, AMD have taken how long in the past to address some of their massive downsides like black screening, poor dx 11 performance and so on? Pretty sure we're talking about months and even years for them. But unlike amd, intel will be heavily investing more into their dgpu than amd since amds focus isn't here now.

Caporegime
Its need to be said that a few quarters ago Intel had 3% marketshare, all of which they took from Nvidia, now they have 1% marketshare, they lost the other 2 percentage point's to AMD.

Intel themselves keep saying the want to take AMD's marketshare, while constantly talking about Nvidia as a competitor, completely, and literally ignoring AMD, People like Steve Burke also keep banging on about Intel taking AMD marketshare, these people are not stupid enough to not know the truth and reality, what they are trying to do is appear none threatening to Nvidia, because they know if Nvidia even so much as noticed them they will crush Intel like a bug.

Last edited:
Associate
When it comes to Linux I stick with AMD. They work out of the box no need to faff about with drivers.

I heard that Red Hat are working on new drivers for Nvidia to replace Nouveau but that could be a while yet.
No question AMD is best on Linux, but Nvidia isn't far behind in my limited experience the last few years. Only a couple of games have been an issue and eventually drivers fixed them.
I'd like another alternative anyway. Best to have options.

Caporegime
I dabble with Linux from time to time just to have a look in.... its vaguely on my radar.

The only thing that i know from experience with AMD vs Nvidia on Linux is when installing it with Nvidia you have you use "safe graphics mode" or something like that or it will not work, once installed its in low res safe mode and you have to _____ about with drivers to get it to work properly.

With AMD you install as normal and it just works right from the start.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Poisoning the well there, aren’t you?

But at that level few people care. PSUs already amply cope with that draw. We’ve had threads like this about the 4090: even with today’s high electricity prices, the cost of the extra power is trivial.

I think if you can afford a 4090 you're not too worried about your lecky bill.... :D

And your point is? AMD have released new GPUs.

Its not AMD who Intel are taking marketshare from, Its Nvidia.

Last edited:
Associate
I dabble with Linux from time to time just to have a look in.... its vaguely on my radar.

The only thing that i know from experience with AMD vs Nvidia on Linux is when installing it with Nvidia you have you use "safe graphics mode" or something like that or it will not work, once installed its in low res safe mode and you have to _____ about with drivers to get it to work properly.

With AMD you install as normal and it just works right from the start.
Nothing like that from my experience. Can't speak for all distros, but on arch you just install the Nvidia packages with pacman and it just works.
The most annoying problem I've had was RE4 remake was unplayable because of a driver issue that I believe is now fixed as I streamed it from my desktop to steam deck just this weekend.
Wayland isn't great either, so I'm just sticking with x11 which works perfectly fine.

Soldato
Power consumption and efficiency matters again then? ;) :cry: :D

Intel have a similar approach to nvidia for RT grunt/perf too, which is why they demolish amd here so no it's not just software. Of course their current version isn't good hence why I and many others haven't touched it, it has arguably been an alpha/beta product, doesn't change the fact that they have addressed many flaws very quickly, AMD have taken how long in the past to address some of their massive downsides like black screening, poor dx 11 performance and so on? Pretty sure we're talking about months and even years for them. But unlike amd, intel will be heavily investing more into their dgpu than amd since amds focus isn't here now.
It does matter more further down the ladder. I never bother about power but to some it does matter. In this case I am using it to show how bad the card is for its performance. You could also say what you are saying about AMD Cpu's but look how that's going. Amd have good idea's and it looks like AMD will be improving there RT by 4x next gen and are finally looking at ai for there upscaling. That alone will put Intel back in there bed on the Gpu front. AMD played a long game with cpu's they look to be trying the same with Gpu's with mcm. Time will tell and i don't think intel are a threat for a while. As for dx11 yea Nvidia wrote good stuff into there drivers where as AMD relied on hardware but come dx12 that paid off for a while from what i have read. Nvidia have the best package overall but for what i play it's to expensive with no benefits for me. Intel have nothing to offer me atm and until they do they won't be a consideration.
Poisoning the well there, aren’t you?

But at that level few people care. PSUs already amply cope with that draw. We’ve had threads like this about the 4090: even with today’s high electricity prices, the cost of the extra power is trivial.
Lets not compare 4090 users with low to mid level buyers. I am only talking about watts more because Intel got rubbish performance for that amount of power. My last 3 cards were 290/Vega64/7900xt (all cards were eating power stations in there gen) but they all offered good performance and a lower price compared to what Nvidia had on offer. Nvidia have mainly offered less performance at a higher price but better power consumption. A few bucks a month has never been a worry for me. Intel offer high power with no real benefit, they need to get there performance/watt up a lot more to get competitive.

Last edited:
Caporegime
image.png

Soldato
OP
More rumours of a launch before ‘Black Friday’ from Computerbase via Videocardz:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom