The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think those points are fair, but none of it relates to performances on the pitch, and that's where the main issues are.

I think this is what it comes down to. I agreed with many of your points... at the end of last season @Shamikebab but this season he hasn't done what he needed to do and kicked on a bit. He was also buoyed last season by Rashford having a silly season. Honestly, if he performed as well this season we might not be having these discussions.

Last season he handled a lot of the off pitch issues very well but there were still lots of questions about the way we played and how things would develop and improve on the pitch. They haven't. Injuries aside they simply haven't. There hasn't even been a hint of it for the most part.

I think he will be a victim of our defensive issues in large part (Martinez has been a huge huge miss) but as a top manager you need to be able to adapt and it doesn't feel like he has. As I mentioned, Newcastle had worse injuries than us but they still played good football quite often. They just let in too many.

Man of Honour
What scenario does ten hag warrant a contract extension at the end of next season seeing as some of you are advocating that he's given until his current one ends?

I think even if by some miracle, Villa and Spurs implode and we scrape in to the top 4 AND win the FA cup, neither of which are likely to happen especially the former, he still doesn't get a new contract because for 90% of this season so far, he's been an embarrassment and our performances have been utterly pathetic. Yes some of that is on the players, but we all know how modern football works and it falls on the manager, and to be fair, in this situation, I think it nearly all falls on the manager anyway

Even last season, lets face it, it was only our form up until February that carried us, we were extremely lucky to get in the top 4 in the end, let alone finish 3rd, we were throwing points away all over the shop

Last edited:
Caporegime
We've seen more established managers struggle just as much with far less injuries. Rodri was out early this season and City lost all three games didn't they? That is just one player!

Soldato
Good debate.
I'm torn on the one hand the club hierarchy has singularly failed to build a squad of players able to compete at the top level and has boxed the club in with some ludicrous contract extensions/renewals. It's an indictment on the Director of football that we have players in the squad that for one reason or another are not at the level required.
- van der Beek, Martial,
- Varane, Casemiro, Erikson , all too old / physically under weighted for the league.
- McTominay, Maguire, wan Bissaka , Lindelof , just not good enough
- Sancho
- Evans - arguably our best signing in the last two years!

- Sabitzer, Weghorst, Amrabat, Reguillon - none of who have come close to warranting a contract despite weakness in the positions they played.

Thats a big clearout required from a club whose best bit of business in recent years was selling Dan James for double the money we paid for him. I think most people would agree that most of the players listed should not be there so in that respect the club has failed the manager.

On the other hand ten Hag has not shown he can get players to do what he want's them to do. The football is awful, better than van Gaal but that's not saying much. He's repeatedly referred to the potential in the team and lamented the injuries citing the performance vs Arsenal as the only time this season we saw what he wants and that fine margins robbed us of a win that would have announced us as contenders. Thats delusional. The game vs Arsenal we passed it about the back four, wasted time and nicked a goal through a bit of play that Rashford has hither since not repeated. Yes Martinez is a big miss, like VVD, Rhodri but as GNev points out he'splayed 9/11 of his first choice often enough and it's still crap.

Some other stuff just doesn't stack up
He buys Antony.
He buy's Hojlund who is a more traditional no.9 then persists to play inverted wingers and full back who don't look to create for the striker
He refuses to drop Rashford when everyone can see his presence in the team is not adding anything.
He dismisses the fact that we concede more shots per game than almost any other team and can be played through in an instant as not important.

We have a goal difference of -1, look like finishing 7th and have lost 12 times in the league with six games to go. Our CL campaign couldn't even salvage a Europa Cup berth. It's an awful season a regardless of the FA Cup. The team has not shown any signs of progress outside of the arrival of Mainoo and Garnacho. We are a bad team, awful to watch, terrible to support and a long way from making any sort of realistic challenge.

I can't see how ten Hag has enough to retain his spot. Not enough of the players buy into his game plan and I can't see the 11/12 player listed above all leaving and replacements being found. As to who or what's next? We should have got Ancelotti. He's not the most progressive coach but he knows how to handle big clubs and players on big wages and he's a serial winner, has charisma and experience. Sadly that's not an option so we may well be stuck in purgatory for a a bit longer.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
It sounds like Jason Wilcox is currently tasked with deciding if ETH should keep his job.

Seems fair enough.

Well, I for one look forward to the new manager bounce that disguises the glaring problems with the entire structure of the club and will allow players who should have been culled three managers ago to keep trousering faintly insane money for playing genuinely terrible football.

'Woo'.

:p

Man of Honour
OP
In fairness, the entire structure of the club is being changed by INEOS. Quite soon we'll have an entirely new setup in place.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Who in the right mind would take the job though? It's seen off how many top coaches now?

None? I kid but every manager we have had has clearly had a weakness outside of the obvious mess at the club.

- Moyes isn't a top manager when it comes to the biggest sides. Still had the scrappy small club mentality and didn't have a clue how to handle big players.
- LvG was on the wane and tried to play possession football with players who weren't suited to it.
- Jose is a top manager but is from a bygone era where players were subordinate to the manager and knew it. These days you have to play the game and treat the players with kid gloves or they will get you sacked
- Ole was out of his depth and didn't know how to coach the team to play how he wanted. His best period was when he took over and his main task was to cheer the players up and use the work Mourinho has put in. Once he started to try and change things it fell apart.
- EtH has struggled to get the side playing the way he wants and can't seem to get any consistency or tune out of the players. He worked in a club that had a very strong identity and brand of football and doesn't seem to be able to instil that into United and our players.

Being a football manager is a bloody hard job and the bigger the club, the harder the job. At smaller clubs the players know that they probably don't have the power and there is always the lure of a big money move to motivate them. They will do what the manager asks with less ego and questioning. The pressure isn't there in the same way. Players come to United and think they have made it. There is nowhere to go salary wise for many of them and even when they turn up with the best intentions, they find a mess of a club and almost all of them fall in line and sink into the malaise.

The United job is very hard but hopefully with the right people with the right vision we can turn it around. I don't think its going to be a magic turn around but Liverpool have done it (albeit with a generationally good manager). Arsenal have done it. Perhaps if EtH had come to United this summer instead of 2 years ago we would be in a better position for him. Who knows. All we do know is that currently hes not doing a good enough job to keep the position.

Man of Honour
OP
Soldato
What on earth is he talking about? He genuinely can't believe his own words?! The media's reaction wasn't embarrassing at all, our performance was the embarrassing thing. In the first half we had control of the game, although I would say that was a combination of us playing okay and Coventry being woeful. The second half we absolutely capitulated and we took off the supposedly less experienced players in our squad!

First half/second half
Coventry
Possession: 35% / 50%
Shots: 1 / 12
Shots on target: 0 / 4
Big chances: 0 / 2

Antony is brain dead, even if he was provoked, you don't have to react in that crass way. I wouldn't be sticking my head above the parapet if I were Antony, especially when it isn't an exaggeration to suggest he's possibly one of the worst signings of the PL era.

Man of Honour
OP
Antony is brain dead, even if he was provoked, you don't have to react in that crass way. I wouldn't be sticking my head above the parapet if I were Antony, especially when it isn't an exaggeration to suggest he's possibly one of the worst signings of the PL era.

And to top it off, he's currently under investigation for domestic abuse. Ok, not necessarily guilty, but not a good look.

Soldato
I think United need an old school, simplistic, hard manager, that is intimidating, in combination with a lot of the existing team sold off. Get back to basics. Sign players that want to be there and give 100% each week.
Big Sam is still knocking about no? ;)

Soldato

Toys out of the pram.

Writing's on the wall, Erik.
Yeah that’s his Jose demanding respect and banging on about 3 titles moment. He didn’t last much longer either.

fez

fez

Caporegime
GLyWM24XIAA9A_d

This pretty much sums us up. We are massively outperforming our xP this season and we are still having a crap season points wise. This is suggesting we could be just above relegation.

Back
Top Bottom