• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
Does this new nvidia driver still allow for certain things the old driver does fine:

I always want forced in all 3d apps:

Clamp Negative LOD bias
16x AF
FXAA forced (even if I use other AA forms like MSAA/TAA/SSAA/whatever, I always want extra post processing AA).
AA Gamma correction enabled

The lack of FXAA makes me not want to go to the red camp, but, if Nvidia removed this from the drivers ( I am on old drivers and in the don't fix what isn't broken camp) I might as well go for the 7900GRE over the 4070S.

Soldato
Does this new nvidia driver still allow for certain things the old driver does fine:

I always want forced in all 3d apps:

Clamp Negative LOD bias
16x AF
FXAA forced (even if I use other AA forms like MSAA/TAA/SSAA/whatever, I always want extra post processing AA).
AA Gamma correction enabled

The lack of FXAA makes me not want to go to the red camp, but, if Nvidia removed this from the drivers ( I am on old drivers and in the don't fix what isn't broken camp) I might as well go for the 7900GRE over the 4070S.

I know this isn't what you asked but as you seem to want to force AA on top of AA you obviously like an image that doesn't have jagged edges.

Have you played around with DLDSR? If you are chasing image quality it's very good. I use it in a few games to really clean the image up at 1440p.

Could actually give you a better image that what you are doing above

Soldato
1440P is not an option, my TV's are all 4k, so 1440p results in blurred image, either 1080p (which means 1pixel is 4 px) or 2160p...

As for FXAA, it works on games that don't naively support MSAA and improves on MSAA imo while costing next to no performance...

As for jaggies, yeah, I prefer to have crappy textures over jaggered models, jaggies make me want to stab my eyes.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like the new NV app's breakdown when a new driver is out, easier to see the changes etc, just nicer layout.

3uRBj9O.png
I don't use Adrenaline to install new drivers so I don't know if they do that feature? as I prefer manual download/cleanup/install with new drivers, but that's a great inclusion, looking good Nv!

Better late than never for the catchup!:p

Man of Honour
Would be interesting to find out why the Nvidia App lowers performance in a lot of scenarios when it's basically just a newer control panel.

Probably doing a lot of hooking of the game process, hopefully for feature/functionality purposes rather than telemetry - I've not bothered with the app so far myself. I dunno if they had Instant Replay enabled when doing these comparisons.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would be interesting to find out why the Nvidia App lowers performance in a lot of scenarios when it's basically just a newer control panel.
It's just another thing competing for system resources. The current control panel has no interaction with games, goes away completely when it's closed and was designed for XP-era machines originally. This new one has an overlay with a bunch of features that directly hook into and run alongside games. Unless Nvidia plan to beam a co-processor into your system as part of the driver installation process, all that stuff is taking up CPU (and perhaps GPU) time that would otherwise be spent rendering your game. If your system is running flat out to begin with in a really demanding title, it's inevitable that it'll have some sort of performance impact. For lighter load scenarios where you already had a bunch of overhead it shouldn't change anything. Hopefully they'll also be able to optimise it a bit during the beta period to have as minimal an impact as possible.

Man of Honour
Keep in mind the new app and GFE are only active during games when the overlay is enabled. People should not be leaving the overlay toggle enabled when not actively using it anyway. I only load up the toggle before playing a game if I know I'll be recording footage in that game, otherwise don't even bother and it's not active in the BG otherwise. For screenshots RTSS does all that as well as quick recordings using driver level encoding so for short videos RTSS covers that area, although in some games it does drop fps whilst recording due to the encoder it uses but it's not much. Otherwise just playing and viewing overlay stats in RTSS there is no performance loss even if a few fps.

Caporegime
GeForce 555.41 Windows Insider(Use at own risk)

Caporegime
GeForce 555.41 Windows Insider(Use at own risk)

I just try this a few mins ago, Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 2,3,4 Remake, Resident Evil 7 & Resident Evil Village all in DX12 with max RT do not experience transitioning stutter with driver 555.41 on Windows 11 build 22631.3296.

Look like Nvidia did something to the shader cache in this driver in order to reduce shader stuttering because going back to 551.76 I get transitioning stutter in Resident Evil engine.

Interesting, I might try them... :D

Man of Honour
Ive never seen shader stutter in any RE game nor read about it so this is news to me lol, could be a localised issue?

Are you sure it's shader stutter and not traversal stutter? If it was stuttering the first pass in that area but not the 2nd, then it's shader, if it stutters every time you pass the same area then it's traversal (aka what Dead Space remake does).

Caporegime
Ive never seen shader stutter in any RE game nor read about it so this is news to me lol, could be a localised issue?

Are you sure it's shader stutter and not traversal stutter? If it was stuttering the first pass in that area but not the 2nd, then it's shader, if it stutters every time you pass the same area then it's traversal (aka what Dead Space remake does).

No idea, the only game that ever stuttered was Dead Space Remake. But I refunded that one :D

Soldato
New driver, 551.86 -

Release Highlights​

Game Ready for Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition

This new Game Ready Driver provides the best gaming experience for the latest new games supporting DLSS 3 technology including Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition. Further support for new titles leveraging NVIDIA DLSS technology includes the latest DLSS 3.5 update for Portal with RTX which introduces DLSS Ray Reconstruction and NVIDIA RTX IO.

Fixed Gaming Bugs

• Advanced Optimus: Notebook may not wake up from sleep when in NVIDIA GPU only display mode [4454524]
  • Hitman 3: Stutter observed in some Advanced Optimus notebooks [4443236]

Fixed General Bugs

• RTX HDR uses saturation and tone curve that matches Gamma 2.0 instead of 2.2 [4514298]
  • RTX Digital Vibrance incorrectly detects Paint.net app as a supported app [4539617]

Man of Honour
Hmm with this driver it looks like the browser scrolling smoothness bug has come back, will drop back to previous driver and confirm if scrolling smoothness is fixed again as this was one of the fixes for that driver at launch.

Back
Top Bottom