• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Man of Honour
On a 4090? There is no noticeable increase in latency using frame gen in this game, not that frame gen is needed with a 4090 in the first place. Agian, this is not an RT game where the baseline fps ends up being too low which then introduces input latency.

Last edited:
Associate
On a 4090? There is no noticeable increase in latency using frame gen in this game, not that frame gen is needed with a 4090 in the first place. Agian, this is not an RT game where the baseline fps ends up being too low which then introduces input latency.
your opinion its not needed, the latency is something i dont even notice and i like a lot of fps and lower power usage with it enabled, im not a native is da best cry baby you see here i use dlss/dlaa/fg as needed

Man of Honour
Have to say I'm not a frame generation fan - I notice the latency (or it just doesn't look like the frame rate as per the counter) and/or visual artefacts unless the base frame rate is very high and at that point it generally makes frame generation redundant - though it could be useful if someone was say trying to maintain a constant 120-144 FPS or something and getting close without it.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Have to say I'm not a frame generation fan - I notice the latency (or it just doesn't look like the frame rate as per the counter) and/or visual artefacts unless the base frame rate is very high and at that point it generally makes frame generation redundant - though it could be useful if someone was say trying to maintain a constant 120-144 FPS or something and getting close without it.

To me it has been a lot better than expected. I am not as fussy as some here and as long as I am engrossed by a game I don't easily spot small issues as too busy enjoying the game rather than looking for issues :)

Soldato
Reflex should help lower input latency in any game it is in particularly if GPU is at almost 100% usage. It should also automatically cap frame rate below your monitor limit when Vsync is on thus avoiding the latency penalty there. :)

Man of Honour
On a Gsync/FreeSync display, Vsync in NVCP should always be on anyway and Vsync in-game off. This is the recommended and accepted process (Blurbusters) for VRR on an Nvidia card to get the lowest latency and smoothest screen motion without tearing.

I expect Nvidia will remove the Vsync option from the control panel when the app goes to release from beta, in the past vsync was always on when Gsync was enabled, they then split the options out and it's been like that since. Vsync works differently when Gsync is enabled on a compatible display.

Soldato
On a Gsync/FreeSync display, Vsync in NVCP should always be on anyway and Vsync in-game off. This is the recommended and accepted process (Blurbusters) for VRR on an Nvidia card to get the lowest latency and smoothest screen motion without tearing.
Except if you reach the vsync cap you will get increased latency as it will be just standard vsync in effect.

Edit: I should add that depending on how high that cap is it might not matter - like on 240Hz and above displays :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You won't because you should in such situation also have a driver level global frame cap set to what gsync and reflex would operate at anyway, which is 5fps below the refresh rate, so a 139fps cap for a 144Hz display. This means there is never a situation where more frames than the refresh rate are ever rendered and you're always in the "golden zone" for optimum latency and motion, which is the preferred way since not all games support Reflex, and some games actually have broken Reflex support (HZFW being one of them).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No the GPU should be running at 99/100% anyway, not lower, if it's lower then you have either a lower framecap than what the GPU is capable of (which is fine as it typically means you are able to render above your refresh rate before framecapping) or you are CPU limited.

Or, third scenario which seems to be more common these days, badly optimised game.

It's the CPU that causes the issues if the CPU is constantly running at high % utilisation, not the GPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
No the GPU should be running at 99/100% anyway, not lower, if it's lower then you have either a lower framecap than what the GPU is capable of (which is fine as it typically means you are able to render above your refresh rate before framecapping) or you are CPU limited.

Or, third scenario which seems to be more common these days, badly optimised game.

It's the CPU that causes the issues if the CPU is constantly running at high % utilisation, not the GPU.
Watch the battle(non)sense videos to see what I am talking about - max GPU usage affects latency compared to say 90% usage but with Reflex it is not an issue.

Man of Honour
Their videos are years old, and you don't need to watch videos on this, you can simply test it in person on a modern system with the latest drivers and game updates. If the GPU isn't running at near 100% then one of two scenarios exist, 1: Something is wrong with your setup or the game engine (most likely), or 2: You have manually enforced a criteria (fps cap being the main one).

Older games need not apply because they are not GPU bound like modern games are.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can watch just the one from 4 months ago. I'm not sure why you are getting hung up on the near 100% I am saying that his testing shows there is a system latency penalty at 100% GPU which can be alleviated by Reflex. So I would use it in games that support it. :)

xEo2wbI.png

Associate
Plus, ON+Boost is something you should never be using anyway as that pegs the GPU at full power at all times needlessly.
I thought ON+Boost just made sure your GPU clock speed doesn't drop, which could increase power consumption a bit but isn't the same as running the GPU at 100% load.

Back
Top Bottom