Poll: *** The official Apple Vision Pro thread (it has an M2, an R1, loads of cameras, a whopping price tag and everything!) ***

Apple Vision Pro - Are you going to buy one?

• Total voters
Associate
Reddit threads are increasingly turning positive after several days of use. Of course, some still have complaints - but I’m seeing the tide turning for this being ‘the future’. Let’s see how it holds up after several months but I’m cautiously optimistic and excited.

Associate
I think its an incredible piece of kit but one of the reviews I watched basically said "what do we use it for?" and that's the big question for me. What's the killer thing that will underpin it becoming a more refined mainstream device in time? I think you would watch a movie on the cinema screen a couple of times and be amazed but it will never be a go-to for that, if people wont put on 3d glasses they certainly wont put this on. There is a lot that is clearly impressive but for £4k (with the bits and pieces) it needs tangible applications that make you feel you "need" it. Of course to be anywhere near mainstream it wont be that price.

Associate
I think its an incredible piece of kit but one of the reviews I watched basically said "what do we use it for?" and that's the big question for me. What's the killer thing that will underpin it becoming a more refined mainstream device in time? I think you would watch a movie on the cinema screen a couple of times and be amazed but it will never be a go-to for that, if people wont put on 3d glasses they certainly wont put this on. There is a lot that is clearly impressive but for £4k (with the bits and pieces) it needs tangible applications that make you feel you "need" it. Of course to be anywhere near mainstream it wont be that price.

I don't think a lot of these YouTube reviews are being imaginative enough.

'What do we use it for" is... well... everything. It becomes the new way to use your computer, interact with the internet etc. It's work, entertainment, personal/family uses all in one.

Soldato

People didn't put 3D glasses on because the experience was not good. The compromises in picture quality, responsiveness and fluidity were just too big and the content wasn't made properly for it either. VR/AR are very different and not at all comparable.

Last edited:
Associate
People didn't put 3D glasses on because the experience was not good. The compromises in picture quality, responsiveness and fluidity were just too big and the content wasn't made properly for it either. VR/AR are very different and not at all comparable.
I would argue a bigger factor was sitting wearing a daft pair of glasses.

Associate
I don't think a lot of these YouTube reviews are being imaginative enough.

'What do we use it for" is... well... everything. It becomes the new way to use your computer, interact with the internet etc. It's work, entertainment, personal/family uses all in one.
Yeah but to do all these things in effective total isolation isnt going to directly port across for everyone. I dont see whole families sitting in their heavy £3.5k headsets because its movie night, or sitting with it on for long periods because you are doing some Office tasks. When the novelty factor wears off Im not sure the trade off is there. I say that as someone who has been really impressed with what Ive seen of it, but in its current form I think its miles away.

Caporegime

True VR is very different; but they aren't going to be producing films in true VR. They'll have the same problems that 3d movies have with lack of true parallax, focal depth, etc. Watching that on a fancy headset isn't going to be any better.

Soldato
True VR is very different; but they aren't going to be producing films in true VR. They'll have the same problems that 3d movies have with lack of true parallax, focal depth, etc. Watching that on a fancy headset isn't going to be any better.

That's irrelevant. 3D glasses had a single use-case and they were bad at it. Watching movies isn't the exclusive use-case for AR/VR headsets. If it were, you'd be right.

Soldato
I don't know if I like the thought of AR headset. I can't imagine using it for a work day to be comfortable, also, whilst it can still immerse you in reality, you can walk about fine due to all its cameras, I still feel it kinds of disconnects you from reality. Maybe I'm "old" at 34 and don't like change, but something on your face just doesn't seem to sit right for me.

Caporegime
That's irrelevant. 3D glasses had a single use-case and they were bad at it. Watching movies isn't the exclusive use-case for AR/VR headsets. If it were, you'd be right.

It's relevant to whether watching movies is a convincing use case which can drive adoption, like @9 Stone Elvis was talking about.

I don't doubt that the movie watching existing with these is cool, I don't believe people will do it. And I don't think they'll do it even with significantly better versions of this hardware.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's relevant to whether watching movies is a convincing use case which can drive adoption, like @9 Stone Elvis was talking about.

I don't doubt that the movie watching existing with these is cool, I don't believe people will do it. And I don't think they'll do it even with significantly better versions of this hardware.

I agree with you, movie experience will not be great due to lack of content before we even start to talk about the hardware issues (weight and size being the primary issue here).

Associate
Some of the feedback on watching moving has been along the lines of “this is like we have been watching movies wrong the whole time”.

If I had the excess cash, I’d love to own one of these to see what that’s like… but might need to wait for v2 or v3 before I pull the trigger, if only because of the finances on my side.

Soldato
I think this has to be the best Vision Pro review video I have seen.

They somehow managed to communicate the nuances of experiencing this device in a ~25 mins along with general video concept being great. Whoever came up with that is a genius.

I do want to get my hands on one of these to try, I'm just not willing to pay $3500 (plus apple storage tax plus actual tax) for one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I barely see any coverage of the Vision Pro these days, and it’s only two months since it launched. I wonder if the international release will help it snowball into a mega-hit or if it’s doomed to remain a niche product forever?

Back
Top Bottom