• Digital Only Version

Votes: 173 16.3%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 661 62.2%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Uses some of your beta power though, 4 squares of it, there is a similar thing for perfect parry as well (counter port behind the opponent) but looks a little trickier to pull off for timing as you're not immune for long after a perfect parry.

The combos and moves you unlock look like you can chain together some very cool moves late game. I don't think you'll be forced to use every tool at your disposal though, but having more options is a good thing.

You can mess about with the skills via the practice mode within the skill menu, it's very handy. I didn't want to check out everything though because I wanted to keep stuff back for main game still.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
SvqHBbb.jpeg

:o

PS6 then maybe, be out on PC by then too hopefully lol.

Soldato
Makes sense, the CPU is too weak and it probably won't have the GPU headroom to do 60fps at 4k to remove the CPU bottleneck, keep in mind that even when GTA V launched on PC in 2015, there was like one GPU that could do 60fps at 4k

That being said, if Sony can build their own frame generation feature for the PS5, then they can achieve 60fps or higher that way

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That leak was also referencing the use of PSSR, so even new upscaling won't help the PS5 Pro apparently. Frame Gen won't help here because the baseline pre-frame gen framerate needs to be at least 60fps anyway, unless Sony have some magic going on to mitigate render and input latency somehow (extremely unlikely) - Even with controllers this would be an issue, you'd be beter off playing at 30fps without frame gen as a result.

Given the specs leak, the GPU budget just doesn't exist to allow for meaningful frame gen on the Pro without sacrifices.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’m very cynical about the pro versions now.

I couldn’t wait to get a PS4 pro. All I ended up with was an expensive, big, power hungry, noisy plastic block that to me, was no different to the normal PS4. It was the most pointless upgrade I’ve ever made.

Soldato

I couldn’t wait to get a PS4 pro. All I ended up with was an expensive, big, power hungry, noisy plastic block that to me, was no different to the normal PS4. It was the most pointless upgrade I’ve ever made.
Mine got a ton of use in RDR2, HZD, AC:O and various Yakuza games. That said, I loved the look of the damn thing even though I do feel it was a somewhat pointless upgrade. I think the only game that truly ran in full on 4k60 was Wipeout.

Don
Mine got a ton of use in RDR2, HZD, AC:O and various Yakuza games. That said, I loved the look of the damn thing even though I do feel it was a somewhat pointless upgrade. I think the only game that truly ran in full on 4k60 was Wipeout.

Yeah, RDR2 and Uncharted looked amazing on the Pro, the Pro is what brought me over to Sony from MS.

Soldato
That leak was also referencing the use of PSSR, so even new upscaling won't help the PS5 Pro apparently. Frame Gen won't help here because the baseline pre-frame gen framerate needs to be at least 60fps anyway, unless Sony have some magic going on to mitigate render and input latency somehow (extremely unlikely) - Even with controllers this would be an issue, you'd be beter off playing at 30fps without frame gen as a result.

Given the specs leak, the GPU budget just doesn't exist to allow for meaningful frame gen on the Pro without sacrifices.

PS5 is getting its first frame gen game soon, keen to see how well it works with such a low performance baseline

I loved my ps4 pro. The higher game resolution on my 4k TV looked significantly better, checkerboard rendering was a better upscaler than anything else on the market and the ps4 pro was the first system do do HDR gaming which looked amazing on my 4k OLED.

If you feel the ps4 pro did nothing for you then I suspect you simply did not have a TV that could make use of the pro's feature set. The pro was a forward looking console and required a new 4k HDR TV make use of it. The ps4 pro was made to sell gamers new TVs

And it looks like Sony is trying the same trick again, the ps5 pro is designed to sell 4k 120hz and 8k TVs to gamers. This is why Microsoft and Nintendo doesnt really like mid gen refresh's and why Sony loves them; it's because Sony sells audio and visual products and they use mid gen refreshes to make people buy new Sony audio and TVs

Last edited:
Soldato
Uncharted, my favourite game series ever. I was crushed when they announced there would be no more :(

I still hold out a faint hope

Yeah same, I like a few Sony exclusive series such as last of us, but I liked uncharted the best because of the theme, nice settings, lots of action set pieces. I hope they make a similar series one day.

Soldato
PS5 is getting its first frame gen game soon, keen to see how well it works with such a low performance baseline

I loved my ps4 pro. The higher game resolution on my 4k TV looked significantly better, checkerboard rendering was a better upscaler than anything else on the market and the ps4 pro was the first system do do HDR gaming which looked amazing on my 4k OLED.

If you feel the ps4 pro did nothing for you then I suspect you simply did not have a TV that could make use of the pro's feature set. The pro was a forward looking console and required a new 4k HDR TV make use of it. The ps4 pro was made to sell gamers new TVs

And it looks like Sony is trying the same trick again, the ps5 pro is designed to sell 4k 120hz and 8k TVs to gamers. This is why Microsoft and Nintendo doesnt really like mid gen refresh's and why Sony loves them; it's because Sony sells audio and visual products and they use mid gen refreshes to make people buy new Sony audio and TVs
I'm sure the normal PS4 (and possibly the PS3) did HDR. I loved the few games I had that made use of it (think uncharted, gow, Spiderman and horizon).

Soldato
If you feel the ps4 pro did nothing for you then I suspect you simply did not have a TV that could make use of the pro's feature set.

I have a 4K OLED and I also think the PS4 Pro was somewhat underwhelming. When developers really made use of what it could do l it did deliver a lot of what you've said, but many games didn't leverage its extra power particularly effectively and even fewer games released before it were ever updated. It being stuck with the same glacially slow 5,400RPM HDD also meant that one of the growing criticisms of that generation - load times - wasn't improved meaningfully either.

The main thing quelling my excitement for a PS5 Pro is the concern that it'll be a repeat of last time; we've already seen how many PS4 titles weren't updated for the PS5, it's a near certainty that many PS5 games won't get updated for the PS5 Pro. It starts to become quite poor value when you realise you've only got half a generation's worth of games that might use that extra power, and that's before considering what the cost of it will be.

As for the PS5 Pro being marketed to sell TVs, I don't think that really applies given that anyone with an OLED budget buys an LG and everyone else probably buys a Samsung!

Back
Top Bottom