Three body Problem (2024)

Caporegime
I forgot to mention the special effects are all over the place. Some episodes you could see they spent a fortune and others not so much.

Still debating whether to watch the chinese version. I'm just not sure if I can stomach 20 hours of subtitles just to reach where the Netflix story was at the end of episode 5. And then the commitment to 2 more 30 episode seasons!

rp2000

Soldato
Watched it, first couple of episodes were a bit of a plod but it did get better as the show went on. Just really hard to get all that excited about a threat that is 400 years in the future and while the effect of the sophon's might be real the rest is all a bit abstract.

Felt sorry for
Cancer guy who agreed to be euthanised so his head could be sent to spy on the alien fleet (200 years hence) then ended up going off course!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Watched it, first couple of episodes were a bit of a plod but it did get better as the show went on. Just really hard to get all that excited about a threat that is 400 years in the future and while the effect of the sophon's might be real the rest is all a bit abstract.
The whole book trilogy is only 3 series + a spin off netflix will ignore.
netflix is already 1.5books deep.

Just because it takes 400 years doesn't mean theres 400 years of filler

Last edited:
Soldato
Read the book in preparation for watching this. I think I might get hold of the other books before starting though. Really enjoyed the read, and hopefully some of the content will transfer well on to the screen.

Caporegime
Read the book in preparation for watching this. I think I might get hold of the other books before starting though. Really enjoyed the read, and hopefully some of the content will transfer well on to the screen.
The TV series will seem crap if you do the books first, since its basically a Too long Didn't Read summary where netflix basically skips from one big reveal to the next.

but if you watch the tv series first the books will probably have 0 impact...
so it's kind of a double edged sword.

the netflix characters to me seem like 18year old uni students that are supposed to be what late 20s or early 30s... the book characters are a lot better.

The tencent series is well worth watching,

tencent almost did a 1:1 copy of the book to screen so the amount of time they spend in the game is probably at least twice as much, there's no silly little girl tugging heart strings, and no lady guide with a sword at the end of levels.
It's more like a normal survival mmo with a lot more science stuff happening.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just watched the third episode, having read the books a few years ago (during lockdown, I recall).

I thought it would be massively light compared to the books and therefore unenjoyable, but it's a decent watch. So far, they've done a good job with it.

Also, Samwell Tarley's Jack Rooney's house is just up the road from my parents' (where, coincidentally, I spent lockdown and read 3 Body Problem). Very distinctive building!

Soldato
The goal is to get to the end...

1.03.40 –1.17.00 Interview with the showrunners of 3 Body Problem: David Benioff, D.B. Weiss and Alexander Woo

If they fail to continue I will go back to watching only those that have finished and get a decent enough rating.

Associate

Felt sorry for
Cancer guy who agreed to be euthanised so his head could be sent to spy on the alien fleet (200 years hence) then ended up going off course!
I fell asleep 3/4 way through the first episode. I am going to give it another try, once finish Fallout

Caporegime
OP
The books become science lessons at some points :p with characters flung in just to keep it relatable.

TV show is the opposite.
Watch the show then read/listen to the first 2 books, it'll be better that way round imo.

The books are weird/Chinese. I'm pretty sure the author is a complete incel woman hater. Lol. Maybe that's just Chinese society...

Some of the bigger concepts and technology of the book/show are thought provoking and (cool)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom