Three body Problem (2024)

Man of Honour
Just finished this and I wasn't impressed at all. It felt more like a BBC production that anything that had a decent budget.

Non of the characters are particularly interesting, most of the episodes are quite boring for most of their run time, the special effects are mostly rubbish and the acting is generally soap opera standard at best.

Doubt I'll watch the next season.

On to Fallout.

Associate
Bit of a weird vibe to this show, at times the quality looks great, other times it's EastEnders quality, that goes for quality of the acting as well.

That last scene on the ship was fun. :)

Associate
I stayed away from the thread until I had a chance to watch it all. Dunno anything about the books or the other series.

Nice concept that takes quite a while to get fully revealed, and therefore keeps you interested as to exactly what is going on. The problem I find with all such programs is that they can't keep the mystery going on long enough, they run out of ways to keep you engaged and yet not fully uninformed, and once that happens it just becomes another inter-personal relationships series.

Last edited:
Associate
watched the first 3 episodes a couple of weeks ago and realised today I completely forgot about it and have zero interest in watching the rest.

Soldato
I've not read the thread as I'm only halfway in, but I'm in the middle of Ep 4 and -

They've just driven a combat vehicle threw a wall into a room full of scientists, clearly flagged who the mole was and ended up gunning down lots of (probably pacifist) geniuses?! Then, we're led to believe that the girl escaped the whole way through the Police and into the fields, crawling on her belly?! I was quite enjoying things until this all went down the toilet?

Last edited:
Soldato
I finished this last night. It's okay, but for me there is too much not explained and rather unlikely. Like -

They say the aliens can't read their thoughts, but how were they implanting the countdown in their vision?
I didn't get how they were going to take 400 years to arrive, but they could communicate with zero lag?
Maybe I didn't get the whole 4 micro thingies, two pairs... that are supposed to be everywhere all at once? Cause even that sounds a little silly, no? How did they get here instantly from 400 light years away?
How were they hacking cars autonomous driving?
Sending the brain to the aliens, did I miss how they knew what direction to send the brain in? How do they know where the Aliens are?

There just seemed too much of these aliens having god like vision and control, but they are 400 light years away?

I probably missed something, cause I'm just not getting it.

Caporegime
In the books the Sophons first start by altering photos that are being developed in a dark room, then it moves onto peoples vision.
The are moving backwords and forwards to write out the timer in like dots on the retina on the eye, it's just light

They communicate through the Sophons, they made 4 and sent 2 to earth, the other 2 stayed with the aliens quantum entangled with the 2 that got sent.
They are communicating on the quantum level

They aren't everywhere all at once they zip around at silly speeds monitoring people and intercepting communications etc.

The proton has almost 0 mass so they can be sent faster than a ship, it takes almost no effort to accelerate them.

About the car hacking no idea, I don't think its in the books.

The aliens planet is known because of the signal they sent to earth, so it's obvious where they are coming from?

The Young woman human woman who kills sam tarly isn't in the books and she kills him with her super human strength which is the biggest plot hole probably.

The universe blinking is different in the books too, they can't see it without these special glasses and they first detect it using computers.

in the series for some reason netflix makes the whole universe blink so people can see it, I guess whe're supposed to believe the sophon unfolded around the earth to make the galaxy blink.

there's also failed sophons in the book one of them turns into eyes and scares the crap out of the people who made it, so they destroy it

34:07 the first time the sophons does the countdown in the tencent series which is how it started in the book

17:00 first time they appear in the guys vision

18:50 why the aliens don't want humans to have nano materials, also its when the raid happens the same as it does in the book
I think netflix skipped that entirely?

13:17 wades reason for being an eco warrior type trying to save birds

22:43 tencents version of the boat scene
39:40 shows the alien who sent the DO NOT REPLY message to earth (NOT A SPOILER as the book never describes what the Aliens look like, netflix will do them different)

12:40 creation of a sophon gone wrong.

The whole Chinese series is on youtube but the story is about half a book behind netflix, even after all 30 episodes

most people will probably find it boring though, especially when the plots already been spoiled.
it's a lot more science/geeky and interesting, netflix is dumbed down for mass appeal and made like a theme park

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, some good stuff there, I appreciate it.
They are communicating on the quantum level
Thanks, I've done a little googling on this. I think they set out from somewhere 4 light years away, which is 4 years at light speed, hence 1% of light speed means 400 years to get here.

Google seems to think that communication on a quantum level is still light speed or slower which, even though very fast, still means 4 years for a message to get from them to earth and 4 years to go back at it's fastest.

I'm happy if it's 'yeah, bit of a plot hole, just accept it', I do this plenty with TV and movies or you simply won't enjoy much! I supposed I just wanted to check I hadn't missed something.

**EDIT** This was a Reddit thread that they discuss it a little. Quite interesting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nevertheless, research continues on this subject and some physicists believe that faster-than-light communication might be possible with some intricate manipulation of entangled particles. For now, we know that the interaction between entangled quantum particles is faster than the speed of light. In fact, Chinese physicists have measured the speed. We know that quantum entanglement can be used to realize quantum teleportation experimentally. We know that entanglement has applications in the emerging technologies of quantum computing and quantum cryptography. With a fiber optic network that can carry conventional data and quantum data, a quantum internet is becoming more of a possibility. The real hurdle to overcome, though is being able to communicate data through quantum entanglement – that’s when we might be able to communicate faster than the speed of light.

google makes it sound possible but still might not be instant

Last edited:
Soldato
google makes it sound possible but still might not be instant
Yeah, someone brings this up in the thread I linked. One guy doesn't think so -
You don't understand the phenomenon as well as you think you do. The collapse of the entanglement appears to happen instantly in two places. That appears to break the speed of light. However, you can't transmit any information that way. The speed of light should really be renamed the speed of information.
I guess who knows. I suppose the point is they have tech we don't know about. I think when it was all thrown in, it was just a little too much for me.

Associate
Having struggled with the first 3 episodes last week we decided to stick with it and ended up finishing it all tonight.

Ended up really enjoying it. Flows really well in its final few episodes and whilst it has its problems, the premise alone has got me hooked for season 2 (if it gets made...)

Never read the books but you can absolutely tell they've had to tear a lot out to make it work for a broader audience. Looking forward to reading them once the shows done.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Thanks, some good stuff there, I appreciate it.
Thanks, I've done a little googling on this. I think they set out from somewhere 4 light years away, which is 4 years at light speed, hence 1% of light speed means 400 years to get here.

Google seems to think that communication on a quantum level is still light speed or slower which, even though very fast, still means 4 years for a message to get from them to earth and 4 years to go back at it's fastest.

I'm happy if it's 'yeah, bit of a plot hole, just accept it', I do this plenty with TV and movies or you simply won't enjoy much! I supposed I just wanted to check I hadn't missed something.

**EDIT** This was a Reddit thread that they discuss it a little. Quite interesting.

Just watch episode 5 again, all the answers were there.

Soldato
I enjoyed the show and was curious about the book/storyline. I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered to read or listen to a Audiobook, so I just got the drift from wiki and YouTube..

I can't see how they can make the remaining story into another few coherent series. It gets so extremely strange and Sci fi that it kinda feels like they've blown all the good material already...

I guess having not read them there is more details I'm missing but the jumps in dates/times and technologies just seems unachievable.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ending in the books is terrible.
Books 3 is probably the weakest one by far.

Good to see netflix will finish the story.

hopefully tencent do too

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom