Time to retire the 1080ti

Associate
Hi All,

Many years ago (Dec 2017) I purchased an EVGA FTW3 1080ti which has been rock solid from day 1.
However its now showing signs that its ready to retire by only working when the debug option is selected in the Nvidia control panel, as soon as a game loads without this checked it crashes to desktop.
I also see some black and white checked artifacts ocasionally regardless of what i am doing and I have tried updating drivers but that has no effect.

The rest of my specs are:
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
Ryzen 7 3700x
32GB RAM
850w Seasonic Focus Gold
NZXT Kraken X62 280mm AIO
Various SSD's
NZXT H510 Elite case
LG Ultragear 48" 4K OLED @120hz

The primary focus for this upgrade is obviously my GPU, however i will need to change the case and PSU to accomodate, the case i have is very restricting on what size GPU i can get (and its got bad airflow) and my PSU is 7 years old.
My secondary focus is to reduce the amount of noise my PC makes while im playing games so i dont have to wear headphones all the time.
I am now looking at the following:
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,516.92 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

I am also considering upgrading my CPU to the 5700x3D or 5800x3D but im unsure of the difference that will make at 4k.

Any advice, comments or thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

Soldato
as a 4080 owner and the super only been 5% faster... i have to say buy an 4090 if you can or 4070ti Super
i have a 4070 Super also that make my 4080 look silly.

the 4070ti Super is about £400 less depending on the model and the 4090 again depending on the model is only £200 more.
the 4080s just doesn't have the performance to be the price it is.

I am also considering upgrading my CPU to the 5700x3D or 5800x3D but im unsure of the difference that will make at 4k.
both CPU will make a big differance at 4k. not to say the max FPS (but there would defo be a bump), they will make a big difference to the 1% lows and that makes a big difference to game play

Soldato
The primary focus for this upgrade is obviously my GPU,

Your GPU has chosen an unfortunate time to expire. Within 6 months we should have both the new Intel Arc GPUs (possibly near RTX 4080 performance) and the Nvidia RTX 5090 (and maybe 5080).

My secondary focus is to reduce the amount of noise my PC makes while im playing games so i dont have to wear headphones all the time.

Have you identified the source(s) of the noise?

Man of Honour
Have you identified the source(s) of the noise?
he's got a h510 elite which is basically an insulated hotbox that's choking the front-mounted aio and the hot air from that will be recirculated to the gpu lol
not surprised that it's noisy

Associate
OP
the 4090 again depending on the model is only £200 more.
I cant see any 4090s for £1300, looking at pricing on OCUK i can only see them for £1700+, however i may see if OCUK would price match as i have seen the Gigabyte Windforce 4090 at £1600.

I am not looking at going AM5 as that would be £600 minimum, i think with a 5800x3d i could get another 4 or 5 years out of my motherboard and RAM.

the case and the fans are a bit/very pointless
what is the total budget for the upgrade?
what parts are you keeping?
Budget overall is around 2k but i dont want to spend for the sake of it.
Ideally i want to keep everything apart from GPU, PSU and Case, and add a few good fans for airflow.
I have to get a new case as my "insulated hotbox" wont support larger GPUs :D. This time however i am not to interested in the asthetics too much, as long as the front looks decent and is white.
I want a case with plenty of airflow so i can put high performance fans to quietly cool everything, I will stick with the AIO for now and see how it goes but can upgrade if its still loud. Edit: AIO will switch to being top mounted exhaust.

Your GPU has chosen an unfortunate time to expire. Within 6 months we should have both the new Intel Arc GPUs (possibly near RTX 4080 performance) and the Nvidia RTX 5090 (and maybe 5080).
Its not actually dead yet but i dont think it would be long, but with so little information about 50 series cards, i have no idea how much they will be and if i could actually get one.
If i spend 1k or more on a card now, i will keep it at least 5 years minimum, and as i have been playing games at 4k with a 1080ti for the past 5 years, a 4080s or 4090 would be a 200 - 300% improvement!!

One question on the 4090 option, what are the FE cards like? currently cheaper than everything else.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Budget overall is around 2k but i dont want to spend for the sake of it.
Ideally i want to keep everything apart from GPU, PSU and Case, and add a few good fans for airflow.
I have to get a new case as my "insulated hotbox" wont support larger GPUs :D. This time however i am not to interested in the asthetics too much, as long as the front looks decent and is white.
I want a case with plenty of airflow so i can put high performance fans to quietly cool everything, I will stick with the AIO for now and see how it goes but can upgrade if its still loud. Edit: AIO will switch to being top mounted exhaust.
£2k is a large budget for your requirements
is there anything that is swaying you towards nvidia? (eg raytracing/cuda/nvenc?)

when you say various ssds, what exactly is the setup?

Last edited:
Soldato
I cant see any 4090s for £1300, looking at pricing on OCUK i can only see them for £1700+, however i may see if OCUK would price match as i have seen the Gigabyte Windforce 4090 at £1600.
Sorry i was thinking more used, ive seen them for £1100 on the MM but other placers are around 1300

if you have a £2k budget 4090. 5800x3d. and a 850W normal PSU not the silly side option (tbf your 850 would be ok i run my system on a 750)
One question on the 4090 option, what are the FE cards like? currently cheaper than everything else.
Amazing like normal, wish i could bag one

Last edited:
Associate
OP
£2k is a large budget for your requirements
is there anything that is swaying you towards nvidia? (eg raytracing/cuda/nvenc?)

when you say various ssds, what exactly is the setup?
I want the option to try ray tracing and my monitor has G-sync support.
I am open to an AMD card but my undersatnding is that although they can match a 4080s in some games the 4080s still comes out on top while using less power.

I have two NVME drives a 250GB Sabrent Rocket that has my OS and some applications on and a 1TB Sabrent rocket with games on it.
I also have 4 SATA SSDs totaling 1.5TB, one with some downloads on and the rest is used for games. I will get around to organising them one day!
Sorry i was thinking more used, ive seen them for £1100 on the MM but other placers are around 1300
I understand you can get some good deals used but its not for me, I would rather pay more and have the peace of mind!

if you have a £2k budget 4090. 5800x3d. and a 1000W normal PSU not the sully side option
Very tempting, with a case and fans to help cool it getting the FE 4090 at £1500 would put me over by about £250.
I like the idea of the side mounted PSU and its the same price as the regular one, and at £180 its competative with other good 1000w PSUs.

Man of Honour
I want the option to try ray tracing and my monitor has G-sync support.
I am open to an AMD card but my undersatnding is that although they can match a 4080s in some games the 4080s still comes out on top while using less power.

I have two NVME drives a 250GB Sabrent Rocket that has my OS and some applications on and a 1TB Sabrent rocket with games on it.
I also have 4 SATA SSDs totaling 1.5TB, one with some downloads on and the rest is used for games. I will get around to organising them one day!

the reason i ask is because the clear option to me (if this were my money) would be to:
1) leave the 250gb rocket as the main drive for the current pc, remove the 1tb rocket and any other sizeable ssds (ie 500gb or larger)
2) buy a cheap gpu ie: 1660 super or something of that ilk
3) buy a cheap psu
4) your 1080ti is now essentially junk as it's unstable, so replace it with the gpu in (2) and the psu in (3) and stick back the wraith prism
5) with this frankensteined system - sell it and recoup some money
6) with the new budget which should be ~£2300 or so, you could get a 7800x3d system with a 4090 and new ssds

Soldato
The 1080ti was an absolute beast of a card! It's a shame you're having to retire it.

the high end Ti always is but he 1080Ti did have a good run.
the 9800ti was a killer GPU but the lack of ram killed it in the end.. the 2080TI no so much only pudding out 3070 performance

but the 3090Ti i see that one going for a long time

Associate
OP
the reason i ask is because the clear option to me (if this were my money) would be to:
1) leave the 250gb rocket as the main drive for the current pc, remove the 1tb rocket and any other sizeable ssds (ie 500gb or larger)
2) buy a cheap gpu ie: 1660 super or something of that ilk
3) buy a cheap psu
4) your 1080ti is now essentially junk as it's unstable, so replace it with the gpu in (2) and the psu in (3) and stick back the wraith prism
5) with this frankensteined system - sell it and recoup some money
6) with the new budget which should be ~£2300 or so, you could get a 7800x3d system with a 4090 and new ssds
This is a good idea but i really dont want to deal with Facebook,Ebay or any other selling sites, If i had access to the members market here then i would but thats not going to happen for a long while!
I could push the budget up to accomodate a 7800x3D system but my current motherboard and Ram have no issues and will last another few years with a 5800x3D so i dont see the upgrade to a new platform as good value right now.

You mentioned earlier that the case and fans were pointless, any reason? are there better options?

Have you tried repasting it and replacing the thermal pads?
No, not sure if it would help, and at this point i dont think its worth it, it should have been replaced months ago, i just didnt have the time to look into it.

Back
Top Bottom