Time to retire the 1080ti

Man of Honour
Get something even cheaper - gaming graphics not required. Take a look at the Intel Arc A310 (NOT the Matrox A310) for around £100 new so as to allow your buyer a GPU with hardware AV1.
personally was thinking of something used so the value lost would be minimal

Soldato
ny advice, comments or thoughts are appreciated!
okay, given the budget, and what you have already, this is what I would do, you don't need the extra fans, the black version of the case is cheaper, and there is a cheaper 4080 super, that also has cool RGB , to show off through the window, the colours are adjustable, or, indeed, you could switch them off if you don't like RGB
we're going to upgrade the cpu to a 5800x3d here, it's the better cpu, it can handle a 4090 should you ever upgrade to one, or a similar gpu of around the same performance
obviously you will reuse your current AIO in the top of the case
personally, I would reuse your 850w PSU providing you have x3 8 pin connectors from it to plug into the 4080 super 16 pin adaptor
so, if you do have x3 8 pin connectors, just ditch the PSU from this list
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,523.92 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

basket link here

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Obviously the case front needs to look decent, but for fans I read that the t30s are some of the best right now.
I'm open to suggestions however.
Yes and no. The case front needs to be mesh. There's only so many ways that mesh can be styled lol.
Yes the T30 fans are good, but it really is a case (lol pun) of diminishing returns once at the top, for money spent and for performance and silence.
You're better off with a case that already has decent fans. If you're desperate then some arctic p12 fans are more than capable.

Associate
OP
okay, given the budget, and what you have already, this is what I would do, you don't need the extra fans, the black version of the case is cheaper, and there is a cheaper 4080 super, that also has cool RGB , to show off through the window, the colours are adjustable, or, indeed, you could switch them off if you don't like RGB
we're going to upgrade the cpu to a 5800x3d here, it's the better cpu, it can handle a 4090 should you ever upgrade to one, or a similar gpu of around the same performance
obviously you will reuse your current AIO in the top of the case
personally, I would reuse your 850w PSU providing you have x3 8 pin connectors from it to plug into the 4080 super 16 pin adaptor
so, if you do have x3 8 pin connectors, just ditch the PSU from this list
Apreciate the reply :)
You have selected the 4000D not the 5000D i was looking at, i dont think there is a huge amount of difference and the GPU would fit in the 4000D, i will have a look at some reviews and see, could be a good way to save £60.
I had looked at the Zotac cards but im sure i seen in a few reviews that they were not that good at cooling the chips which is why i was looking at the Asus TUF card. From some reviews i have seen the TUF card was seemed mid range in cooling and noise for slightly more, However i am looking at jumping up to the 4090 as the FE from Nvidia is £1500.
I am going to upgrade the CPU, I think now is a good time to do it as with the GPU ugrade as well i should be able to get 5+ years out of everything with no need to upgrade.
I do want to upgrade the PSU regardless, mine is 7 years old and I wouldnt be comfortable running a more powerful card off it. The Corsair Shift PSU's are rated highly and with the side access would allow a small space infront of the PSU for my various ssd's to live :D

Yes and no. The case front needs to be mesh. There's only so many ways that mesh can be styled lol.
Yes the T30 fans are good, but it really is a case (lol pun) of diminishing returns once at the top, for money spent and for performance and silence.
You're better off with a case that already has decent fans. If you're desperate then some arctic p12 fans are more than capable.
I will have a look around and see if any other cases tickle my fancy, but i am looking at something i can set and forget which wis why i was looking at getting the t30s as well.

Ok so after much thought i am looking at ordering
5800x3D
Corsair RMx 1000w or Shift version depending on case
New Case - possibly Corsair 4000D
Nvidia 4090 FE

Soldato
Seeing as you have a 280mm AIO this thread casts doubt if it will fit in the top of the Corsair 4000D. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/ram-upgrade-issue-with-aio.18986827/

Can i sugest the Lancool 216 as a alternative.

Plenty of space inside and the fans are very good as well. I have the standard black one and it really is good. (no lighting at all though, not even the power button)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £216.92 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Last edited:
Soldato
You can currently buy a 7900XT for £630 in the uk which is within about 10-15% of a 4080S, the 4080S would need to be around £800 to be competitive.

Associate
OP
You can currently buy a 7900XT for £630 in the uk which is within about 10-15% of a 4080S, the 4080S would need to be around £800 to be competitive.
Agree that the 7900XT gives the better price per performance/frame, however the 4080s have overall more power and has better RT performance.
Anyway i am looking at a 4090 now :)

Associate
OP
what was/is your real budget for all this?
I had £2000 in mind but I dont need to stick to it, as long as my wife doesn't find out!
I would rather spend a bit more now and not need to spend anything for the next 5 years, with the 5800x3D, 32GB Ram and a 4090 i would expect this to last a minimum of 5 years before looking at upgrading again.

I has no equal. For the next 6 months.
This is in the back of my mind but its always going to be the same, and price and availability might be terrible for the first 6 months which means im 12 months from upgrading.

Lian Li Lancool 216 Mid-tower PC case - Black looks really good too, I'd go for it!
I need to get white as my desk and white, Ikea Alex units with a white breakfast bar on top for the extra depth.
The PC will sit at the right side and i dont want a black box that sticks out.

Soldato
Soldato
I had £2000 in mind but I dont need to stick to it, as long as my wife doesn't find out!
I would rather spend a bit more now and not need to spend anything for the next 5 years, with the 5800x3D, 32GB Ram and a 4090 i would expect this to last a minimum of 5 years before looking at upgrading again.

This is in the back of my mind but its always going to be the same, and price and availability might be terrible for the first 6 months which means im 12 months from upgrading.

I need to get white as my desk and white, Ikea Alex units with a white breakfast bar on top for the extra depth.

Last edited:
Soldato

ok, if you don't need to stick to £2000, what is your real budget?
the white version of the case looks pretty good too ,though it sounds like anything is going to stick out on your desk ,is your monitor keyboard/mouse white too? don't you have any floor space next to or under your makshift desk?
maybe it is time for a new desk? I just use a dining room table, loads on facebook marketplace, in my area £50 would nab a 2m x 1m table, you're going to save that by just going for a different case, then whack a massive extra large mouse mat down under all your peripherals, job's a good 'un

Back
Top Bottom