toob users, what router did you get given by them? Just been installed, they left me a Linksys Velop MX4200

Soldato
Yeah it's a pretty well specced mesh router I gotta say. I'll be getting one again in future even if toob isn't available in the area of a new house etc as I really like it's simplicity and performance.

When it comes to family and internet KISS :)

They're working fine on a pfsense / tp-link setup, but an additional unit or Unifi Express with a spare AP is also appealing. Ouch £230 each via Linksys site, will have a google.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Out of interest, are you able to turn the Linksys unit into AP only mode?
Yes, just enable bridge mode from the internet settings > connection type page:

t06v6PX.png

Soldato
Ok just landed a CF version off eBay for sub £40 as apparently you can flash back to OEM. Will test at home with my firewall setup and then determine if I replace the tp-link S4 setup.

It’s my parents, they don’t need 900/900 but it was cheaper than everyone else.

Associate
I just had Toob installed, replacing my Virgin Media 250 connection.
Swapped out most of my Ubiquiti gear (USG, NanoHD, FlexHD, CloudKey) for the Toob LinkSys router - the MX4200 Velop.
2 days in I'm a happy man - wireless gets a better signal all around the house and in the darkest corners I still get on wireless what I could get over ethernet on VM.

The Linksys App is nothing compared to Unifi, but it allows me to name nodes, and block nodes which is good enough.
Though I do miss the "how much internet" I'm using, what protocols are used the most and what nodes are the most active kind of metrics.

Lower latency, better coverage, faster download, ludicrously fast upload, decent route / ap for a much lower cost? What's not to like!
Native IPv6 to boot. The only downside is that IPv4 is behind CGNAT, but I have live with that as I don't have a playstation and all peers that need to reach me can do over IPv6.

Saving almost £50 per month over VM. Damn glad I didn't lock myself into another 18 month contract with VM when CityFiber started to build in my village last Christmas.

But the best news is that I'm no longer locked into one ISP - sure Virgin was fast and for me, reliable, but with high cost and due to DOCSIS high latency.
ADSL was not an option as the best I can get is 3Mb down and 0.2Mb up.
Now, with FTTP I have a choice of ISP's :)

Faster, Quicker, Cheaper.

Total no-brainer.

Happy New Year everyone :)

Man of Honour
OP
What did you do to enable IPv6? I've checked and internet IPV6 testers say I'm not on ipv6 so probably something I need to enable. Not that it's needed just yet as nothing I access is ipv6 only so little benefit as of yet. I am on the static IP with toob though so maybe this is why ipv6 isn't working from what I read from old ispreview forum posts.

Edit* It's been like 2 months in and yeah same absolutely no problems and the single MX4200 I have has served the entire house and garden without a problem!

Last edited:
Associate
Connectivity -> Internet settings -> IPv6
Connection Type: Automatic
IPv6-Automatic: enabled

Give it a few to negotiate and then check
Trouble shooting -> Diagnostics
There should be an IPv6 address under Internet Address.
That's all you need on the router.

Clients will should have IPv6 enabled by default, but some might have disabled it due to "performance" or "issues" they think is IPv6. Might be true, but in my experience not the real cause.

I will note that due to CGNAT you should disable uPNP on the router as it's pointless and enabled by default.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah I've always had upnp disabled, thank GRC.com from many years ago for that with their SHieldsUp port tests :p Also I'm not on CGNAT (static IP addon).

I've enabled IPV6 and checked though now, can now see an IPv6 address :cool: Not sure why that wasn't working before but hey ho.

Although checking online on sites like https://test-ipv6.com/

Says:

How this test works: Your browser will be instructed to reach a series of URLs. The combination of successes and failures tells a story about how ready you are for when publishers start offering their web sites on IPv6.

Click to see Technical Info

Test with IPv4 DNS record ok (0.430s) using ipv4
Test with IPv6 DNS record bad (0.022s)
Test with Dual Stack DNS record ok (0.422s) using ipv4
Test for Dual Stack DNS and large packet ok (0.140s) using ipv4
Test IPv6 large packet bad (0.029s)
Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6 ok (0.569s) using ipv4
Find IPv4 Service Provider ok (0.622s) using ipv4 ASN 60377
Find IPv6 Service Provider bad (0.025s)

Associate
I just get all green lights on that site.
Did you override your DNS at all on the router? Aside from uPNP, Wireless SSID and passphrase, it's all at stock settings.

Associate
OK, so you're behind CGNAT and google will blacklist you because the same IP will hammer their DNS hard. That might be the issue.
Either use Google's IPv6 DNS servers OR use Toobs. I use Toobs personally and don't see a need to change.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm not on CGNAT remember as I have the static IP address addon from toob, also I tested with toob's DNS servers too and still see the same result! Quite a mystery really lol. I'll try it on another PC in the house to confirm it's not my PC as the website checkers do use the browser too so it could be my Windows Firewall perhaps is set to block this traffic or something.

Edit*
Other PC same result. I can see both local IPV6 address in Windows ipconfig on both machines after a restart, as well as an acttual IPv6 address and a temp IPv6 address so this all seems normal. IPV6test site now shows:

Test with IPv4 DNS record ok (0.087s) using ipv4
Test with IPv6 DNS record bad (0.032s)
Test with Dual Stack DNS record ok (0.068s) using ipv4
Test for Dual Stack DNS and large packet ok (0.016s) using ipv4
Test IPv6 large packet bad (0.041s)
Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6 ok (0.057s) using ipv4
Find IPv4 Service Provider ok (0.213s) using ipv4 ASN 60377
Find IPv6 Service Provider bad (0.048s)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Update:

Interestingly, if I go to check another website, this time to see what DNS servers are being used:

I get the following:
CountryISPDNS Server
GBTOOB45.13.4.11
GBTOOB45.13.4.12
GBTOOB2a0e:cb00:700b:2::1
GBTOOB2a0e:cb00:700b:2::2

So evidently it is seeing IPV6 and routing since it can detect the IPV6 DNS servers from toob. So it's a bit of a mystery at the moment.

I'm changing the IPV4 DNS anyway to cloudflare (1.1.1.1) as it's faster than even Google's DNS, and cloudflare don't use your data for targeted ads etc so a bonus in that regard.

Edit*

I changed to Cloudflare (primary) and left Google as secondary, DNS check above now shows this, which again indicates it's seen my IPV6 address

CountryISPDNS Server
USCLOUDFLARENET - Cloudflare, Inc.172.70.84.147
2400:cb00:378:1024::ac47:b14e

Last edited:
Soldato
toob are scheduled to install at my house next week. For people that already have it, how did they bring the fibre into your premises? Did they channel through your driveway or was it aerial from the distribution pole?

Man of Honour
OP
toob are scheduled to install at my house next week. For people that already have it, how did they bring the fibre into your premises? Did they channel through your driveway or was it aerial from the distribution pole?
They only use a pole overhead if ground ducting is not possible but that is determined long before orders can be placed. Mine is ground and they dug a thin duct through the grass by the driveway to the front house wall where the media converter box is fitted. Then the fibre goes from the box into the house connecting to the ONT which is where you plug your or their router into.

Associate
CityFiber dug into my drive and took the shortest route to the house where they slapped a brown box on the wall and then took cable from there to my desired point of ingress.

Quite narrow channel, hardly notice it. It was a clean install, no issues other than an hour wait for the line to get activated.

Man of Honour
OP
Seems things have improved recently, or maybe it's just my phone from a recent update I don't know, but now even from upstairs the speedtests on the phone are coming back ridiculously fast.

I put this together as a comparison:

JCNyuBF.png

Very impressed by that bundled single Velop!

Associate
Got the manky sagecom but had it for a long time now so I guess they changed recently?

Is the static IP still £8 per month? I'm not sure how they justify it tbh, I had one on Plusnet and it was £5 for life :cry:

Man of Honour
OP
It is yeah, my total is £33 a month, which is half of what I was paying VM for their gig1 package so it's still a big saving either way lol.

The Velop seems to have become the bundled router from about a year ago iirc.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh right not too bad then! It's more money for me than I was paying on plusnet but can't grumble as the speeds are mental in comparison. I just wish there was a way around the static IP.
Hmmm hopefully my sagecom will break soon then... :D

Back
Top Bottom