toob users, what router did you get given by them? Just been installed, they left me a Linksys Velop MX4200

Soldato
Looks quite widespread.

To be honest, given everyone I knew said it had been faultless for them for years, it's pretty frustrating the amount of downtime recently since signing up.

Man of Honour
OP
6YxtWUF.png

Looks like toob have suffered a major outage this week, affecting everything inc their own site etc... Switched to EE backup (phone tether).

Edit*
They have posted on twitter:

Edit*
Now back.

Last edited:
I love the way they keep saying "an outage affecting some of our customers".

Looking at DownDetector and various other places it looks like customers from just about every region Toob service.

Anyway, it's been back for about 20 minutes now.

I wrote a helpful email extolling the virtues of a Status Page, and failover DNS for their website.

I tried to write it without sounding sarcastic (genuinely) as it's 2024 and they're an ISP... so really should know better.

Reactions: KIA
Soldato
I wrote a helpful email extolling the virtues of a Status Page

Well, it appears they're at least addressing this bit :p

I wanted to write to you to apologise for the disruption some of our customers have experienced over the last few weeks.

Unfortunately, on Tuesday 13th February we had a failure in part of our core network. There should have been an automatic switch from one data centre to the other, resulting in no loss of service for customers, however this did not happen and as a result some of our customers lost service.

Our engineers mobilised quickly, and we were able to get most customers back online through the course of Tuesday morning, however, there were additional changes required to ensure our service was robust and this created further disruption for some of our customers over the course of Wednesday and Thursday.

We also had a completely unrelated incident on Tuesday 20th February, which affected the network and resulted in a loss of service. Our engineers were able to identify the problem quickly, which was caused by a network partner, and resolve it within an hour and restore service.

As a result of these incidents, we are conducting a thorough review of the network, to ensure this does not happen again and improve our resilience. This will inevitably mean that we will need to make changes on the network. These will be made overnight, and we will provide advance warning to any customers that may be affected to keep disruption to a minimum.

In addition, we are looking at how we can improve our customer communications during such incidents. One immediate action is to add a network status page to our website. This will provide you with details of any incidents we have on the network and their status alongside information about any planned maintenance work. This will go live within the next week.

We are committed to providing a fast and reliable service and investing to ensure we can deliver this for all our customers. The last few weeks have been out of the ordinary, however it was not good enough, and you have my commitment as the founder of toob that we will be learning from the incident and making the necessary investment to improve.

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Nick
CEO & Founder

Hehe, I did chuckle at that.

Never mind the fact I've raised two tickets with their Helpdesk and nobody bothered replying, guess a personally named bulk email from a "noreply" address is as good as I'm going to get.

Just another Telco.

Man of Honour
OP
All been fine as of late, the BQM is also flat now apart from the instances of heavy downloading or uploading.

All's well in the world. Still can't believe it's £25 a month really, good mesh router provided too, yet to need to reboot it a single time. The best part is uploading media at 117MB/s, bit of a game changer from the 12-15MB/s that I was getting on VM Gig1 :cool:

Associate
Mine seems good.
Had to have them out a week ago, the optical fibre cable snapped in the little connection box outside. The engineers that came out said it should never have been spliced. It failed at the splice interface, the bend radius was ridiculous so I'm not surprised. They also used a 45m cable when apparently it should have been a 30m. Seems like I got unlucky with cowboy installers!

Soldato
Yes it’s practically unusable for me at the moment and has been since earlier on in the evening.

Speed tests are showing full speed down but the upload is insanely slow and my firewall is showing packet loss on the gateway monitor.

I’ve just forced my firewall over to my VM backup line for now. While I’m not too bothered right now, what’s the point in a service status page that reports no issues when there clearly are issues for many (though apparently not all) users? I’d of course understand it if it was a fresh issue but it’s been an issue in my area for at least 7-8 hours now.

Last edited:
I think the problem is with NTT.

Anything that routes through ce-0-0-3.a01.londen17.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net seems to be scuppered. NTT's sites themselves are very slow to load/never finish loading.

OpenDNS who I use route through this, which isn't helping lol.

Back
Top Bottom