Training for 1st triathlon

Soldato
OP
You only have to hang in there with the run. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you know you can do the distance.

I've got the Leeds triathlon (Olympic) in 2 weeks and had some fairly disruptive training after getting a bad ski injury and then a few illnesses.

I'd highly recommend getting as much open water swimming as possible just to get used to it, so you're more relaxed on the day.

Fortunately I live next to a lake so I've been able to go in every other day. Hate getting into the water but love it once I get going.

Sorry to hear about the ski accident, hope you're now fully recovered.

I'm lucky enough to live less than a mile away from an open water park. I was intending to do 2 pool swims next week in weekdays and an open water session in the weekend, but, listening to your advice, I'll check if the open water park does evening sessions.

Associate
Sorry to hear about the ski accident, hope you're now fully recovered.

I'm lucky enough to live less than a mile away from an open water park. I was intending to do 2 pool swims next week in weekdays and an open water session in the weekend, but, listening to your advice, I'll check if the open water park does evening sessions.
Yeah fully recovered, just not as fit as I was hoping to be. The run will be a grind but at least I'm taking part.

I'm not sure how much outdoor swimming you've done but even though I'm a confident but not particularly fast swimmer, I still found it took several sessions to fully relax and swim properly. You'll obviously be fine but might as well get as familiar as you can.

Soldato
OP
Yeah fully recovered, just not as fit as I was hoping to be. The run will be a grind but at least I'm taking part.

I'm not sure how much outdoor swimming you've done but even though I'm a confident but not particularly fast swimmer, I still found it took several sessions to fully relax and swim properly. You'll obviously be fine but might as well get as familiar as you can.
I've done 3 open water sessions. The one I did yesterday was the best, I knew what to expect and was more relaxed than the previous time, but you're right in recommending as many OW sessions as possible because it's replicating the actual Tri swim.

Associate
Did a run yesterday, and a 1.2km open water swim this evening after work. Sighting is affecting my stroke less and I'm veering off course less, which is good.
Sounds good, your only need a small peek occasionally and can do it around your stroke.

I did another morning swim just now. Still hate the first 2 minutes ! Not sure how I'm going to run in and go for it straight away :cry:

Soldato
OP
Sounds good, your only need a small peek occasionally and can do it around your stroke.

I did another morning swim just now. Still hate the first 2 minutes ! Not sure how I'm going to run in and go for it straight away :cry:
This open water place near me does morning and evening sessions and the water in the evening session was noticeably warmer than the morning. Can you switch to an afternoon swim?

Regarding sighting, I need to do it regularly because I'm not a very straight swimmer. I've tried the crocodile eyes techniques but this lake gets a bit choppy, so, as you say, I sight as I'm breathing and just have a quick glance so my legs don't sink.

Associate
This open water place near me does morning and evening sessions and the water in the evening session was noticeably warmer than the morning. Can you switch to an afternoon swim?

Regarding sighting, I need to do it regularly because I'm not a very straight swimmer. I've tried the crocodile eyes techniques but this lake gets a bit choppy, so, as you say, I sight as I'm breathing and just have a quick glance so my legs don't sink.
I go to my local lake where the Leeds triathlon is actually held but you have to go early as you're not really meant to be swimming there, even though loads of people do.

My start time on the day is 7.15am, so it'll feel about the same as my 6am swim.

aerial-view-of-roundhay-park-waterloo-lake-the-park-arena-the-mansion-leeds-uk-2BM5R1A.jpg

Soldato
OP
Brick session today, 23km ride (race distance) and 4km run. It went well. I can't run too fast because the shock aggravates my back, but because I have limited run speed, I completed the run from the bike in a similar time to just doing the run.

My T2 is fairly quick, but my T1 will take a while. I don't have a Tri suit, so will be wearing budgie smugglers under my wetsuit, then on T1 I'll remove wetsuit and put on a t-shirt and the outer shorts from my 2 piece enduro cycling shorts. I've been running, swimming and riding in these trunks for 2 weeks and they're fairly comfortable.

My wetsuit comes off fairly easily down to the ankles, but I can't stomp out of it without using my hands to pull it off my ankles, so the plan is to sit on the floor to get out of it, to save me toppling over. I'll probably have a quick check that I'm all set too, before setting off on the bike.

I'll do some transition practice this weekend.

Associate
I say you cycle and run in the Speedo + vest to save extra transition time. The exrtra freedom might even speed you up or slow down your competitors. :cry:

I recently got a trisuit.they don't seem to be designed for someone who's 6 foot 3. Had to go xl to fit my height but my limbs don't fill the openings that well.

Soldato
OP
I say you cycle and run in the Speedo + vest to save extra transition time. The exrtra freedom might even speed you up or slow down your competitors. :cry:

I recently got a trisuit.they don't seem to be designed for someone who's 6 foot 3. Had to go xl to fit my height but my limbs don't fill the openings that well.
NOBODY needs to see me running in speedos :)

Soldato
OP
Open water swimming today. My Google's fogged up and I nearly missed a bouy! Must get back into the habit of wiping a bit of saliva inside them.

Tomorrow I'm going to have an easy day, cleaning and oiling the bike, and practicing the transitions.

Associate
I watched this transition video yesterday and had a towel set up with all my gear in the boot of my car this morning.

Did my last big training before next week today:
1500m swim, 36km bike and then 5km (parkrun). Next week I'll just do an easy swim or two and low intensity spin.

They were actually setting up the lake with the big starting pontoon, so it'll be nice to give that a go before race day.

Soldato
OP
I watched this transition video yesterday and had a towel set up with all my gear in the boot of my car this morning.

Did my last big training before next week today:
1500m swim, 36km bike and then 5km (parkrun). Next week I'll just do an easy swim or two and low intensity spin.

They were actually setting up the lake with the big starting pontoon, so it'll be nice to give that a go before race day.

Thanks, I'll check out the video. Sounds like you're all set. I really should have incorporated swim, bike and run into some sessions.

GF and I cycled into town yesterday to scope out the triathlon venue. Looking at the race route, the swim starts at this corner of the harbour:

PXL-20220603-102040739.jpg

There's also lots of signs up, which is exciting:

PXL-20220603-105648474-2.jpg

Associate
You'll be fine, assuming you've been covering the distance individually.

I personally find swim to bike no issue, it's just bike to run which sucks but you just have to push through it.

Doing the 3 together was more about practice for the day, such as what it feels like to cycle wet, practicing transition, what my energy levels might feel like.

Soldato
Interesting read, thanks for documenting. Your opening statement sounds a bit like me and it's the kind of challenge I'd love to try too, but my swimming is very poor and I just don't think I would cope with open water swimming :( A duathlon is perhaps the alternative, but then it just isn't as impressive as a Triathlon and not really worth it :cry:

Good luck with the event. Regardless of where you finish, I think the journey is the more important part really so you're already a winner :)

Soldato
OP
Interesting read, thanks for documenting. Your opening statement sounds a bit like me and it's the kind of challenge I'd love to try too, but my swimming is very poor and I just don't think I would cope with open water swimming :( A duathlon is perhaps the alternative, but then it just isn't as impressive as a Triathlon and not really worth it :cry:

Good luck with the event. Regardless of where you finish, I think the journey is the more important part really so you're already a winner :)
Hi Andy, and thanks for your words of support. The swimming was the biggest concern for me, but, surprisingly, it's the discipline that's given me the most enjoyment. I've only made moderate gains but am now comfortable in the water, which is a massive deal for me.

I was never a strong swimmer, I loved playing about in the pool as a child but was certainly not a natural swimmer. My parents took me to swimming classes before primary school and I did 25 metres with arm bands, but only because the instructor held out the handle of a pool net in front of me, just in case! In primary school, even though I potentially had a head start over other children, I still couldn't swim well and I remember being told to go back to the shallow end after joining my friends in the main swimming area, and doing a controlled drown across to the other side! I did learn to swim in primary school, but have never been a strong swimmer and when considering the triathlon I was acutely aware that open water swimming would be a challenge.

The 3 main things I now like about swimming are:

1. It's all technique. If I fight the water and try to power through, I go slower and tire more quickly. There's so much to learn and so many areas to improve on. People who are really good at swimming have practiced for years, if not decades. It's a good return on investment to see the improvements.

2. It's non impacting and good for the body. Once I'd learned some simple swim stretches I was able to train quite hard and feel fine the next day, and can ramp up the volume quite quickly. I was concerned about all the stretching aggravating my back, but swimming actually helps with my back.

3. It's great for fitness. My shoulders are bigger, my waist is narrower and from a cardio perspective the running and cycling has improved from swimming.

Of course, I'm yet to experience being part of a massive bunch of swimmers racing each other!

Even so, I'd recommend signing up for a triathlon BECAUSE you're unsure about the swimming.

Soldato
I'd recommend signing up for a triathlon BECAUSE you're unsure about the swimming.
It sounds like you started from a better place than me. It's not that I'm unsure, I'm almost scared of swimming. I don't really like water. I seriously doubt I could ever do 'proper' swimming with my head down and then breathing out the side and all that. I enjoy bouncing about in a pool, but I wouldn't go anywhere I couldn't put my feet on the bottom.

Soldato
OP
It sounds like you started from a better place than me. It's not that I'm unsure, I'm almost scared of swimming. I don't really like water. I seriously doubt I could ever do 'proper' swimming with my head down and then breathing out the side and all that. I enjoy bouncing about in a pool, but I wouldn't go anywhere I couldn't put my feet on the bottom.
I understand, and I shouldn't have just assumed that everyone would perceive swimming as just another sport because it is different in as much as it doesn't take place on dry land :)

Back
Top Bottom