Training for 1st triathlon

Soldato
OP
Swimming: I decided to do a pool session this evening, and it was weird being in an indoor pool after 3 sessions in open water. My legs felt more prone to sinking and there was no need to sight, indeed I forgot to do it until about 15 mins in. I only did a warm up, then several lengths of high intensity, then a warm down.

I also tested out my goggles for a shallow dive and they're fine, plus a bit of saliva does stop them from fogging.

Not long now until Sunday!

Soldato
OP
Gentle run this evening. Annoyingly I've picked up a cold type virus, I did a covid test which was negative. Still a few days to go until Sunday so hopefully it will pass by then.

Soldato
OP
Gentle indoor swim this evening, this is the last swim before the triathlon on Sunday. The goggles stayed fog free and survived a couple of dives. A short ride tomorrow and that'll be the training done. Fingers crossed I don't pick up an injury at this late stage.

Associate
Good luck!

I've done my last bit of riding today. Fairly relaxed week tbh.

Switched to my cross bike that was on my turbo as it's much lighter than my newer ****** steel bike... Forgot how nimble it was, despite it being about 15 years old.

Associate
How'd it go?

Overall enjoyed mine.
Swim was ok, there was a point I was freaking out a bit as there was so many people around me. Had to calm myself down.

Bike was great. Felt powerful and got a good time.

Run was grim. That was probably my third 10km this year and the run leg had 150m of hills.

Overall had a good time. Clearly need to get my running better / train more.

Soldato
OP
Glad to hear it went well!

Triathlon went well, thanks. Official time not in yet but my partner timed me at 1:47 exactly, which I'm really pleased with because I didn't think I'd get below 2 hours.

I'll post a more detailed description of the event when I I have some time.

Soldato
Glad to hear it went well!

Triathlon went well, thanks. Official time not in yet but my partner timed me at 1:47 exactly, which I'm really pleased with because I didn't think I'd get below 2 hours.

I'll post a more detailed description of the event when I I have some time.
was that a sprint tri?

Soldato
Yes just a sprint. I was aiming for completion and estimated about 2hrs 10mins so am very pleased, even though it's not exactly fast.

Here's the split:

Swim: 21:03
T1: 3:31
Bike: 50:59
T2: 2:47
Run: 29:27
how did the swim go, what were you like when you got out of the water?

Soldato
OP
how did the swim go, what were you like when you got out of the water?
The swim went well. I'd done several open water sessions at a swimming lake and 2 laps of that was 1200m, so I knew I'd be ok for the 750m Tri swim. When climbing out I just made sure I knelt for a few seconds before standing, to get used to dry land again. Plus I took your advice and wore earplugs.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for sharing your journey @bainbridge. Our local running club has decided to enter the local Try-a-Tri next year so you've inspired me to document my own journey on here.

That's fantastic news! Do post a training log on here so people, including myself, can track your progress. I got some great tips from @Nutty_Death @BUDFORCE @john_smith to name a few.

Back
Top Bottom